Author Topic: Losing to an AWFUL Movie like CRASH...  (Read 47640 times)

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
Losing to an AWFUL Movie like CRASH...
« on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Sorry this is not coming from a bad place but I just saw Crash yesterday on DVD...

What a simplistic, unimaginative stereotypical movie!
There were moments of good acting but the dialogue was AWFUL!
I think that it was the LA-centered nature of this film that made it win.  Can anyone from the East Coast even relate to the gun toting madmen in this awful film?  Does nobody else hear how stupid lines like "sometimes we crash into each other just so we can feel something" are?  Ugh! Barf!

I could take Brokeback losing to Capote or Walk the Line but CRASH?!?!?   ???

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Losing to an AWFUL Movie like CRASH...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:01 AM »
I didn't seen Crash. Anyway I'm not so surprised. I think how political aspect could played some role...

coguaro
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline quentin751

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Sorry this is not coming from a bad place but I just saw Crash yesterday on DVD...

I think that it was the LA-centered nature of this film that made it win.  Can anyone from the East Coast even relate to the gun toting madmen in this awful film?  Does nobody else hear how stupid lines like "sometimes we crash into each other just so we can feel something" are?  Ugh! Barf!

i really appreciated "crash" and i think the line youve quoted is relevant...I dont think its time to boo the academy and say theres homophobia in the air, there might be some but i think "crash" is just a good movie and well it won!

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:34 AM »

i really appreciated "crash" and i think the line youve quoted is relevant...I dont think its time to boo the academy and say theres homophobia in the air, there might be some but i think "crash" is just a good movie and well it won! 

The Academy's decision speaks for itself.  It may be homophobia or some other reason they try to justify it.  If it lost to Capote, Munich or Good Night and Good Luck I'd feel that it lost to worthy opponents.  Crash is garbage and shouldn't have even been nominated.  So the Academy voted for Crash so they could feel good and not alienate Red State America.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:38 AM »
The Academy's decision speaks for itself.  It may be homophobia or some other reason they try to justify it.  If it lost to Capote, Munich or Good Night and Good Luck I'd feel that it lost to worthy opponents.  Crash is garbage and shouldn't have even been nominated.  So the Academy voted for Crash so they could feel good and not alienate Red State America.

Agreed, hidesert. It is their pick and their problem to deal with. It is just a shame. Despite all this oscar drama, BBM still won 3 including for the first time an Asian director won the Best Director. It is a major breakthrough. It could have been worse.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:52 AM »

Agreed, hidesert. It is their pick and their problem to deal with. It is just a shame. Despite all this oscar drama, BBM still won 3 including for the first time an Asian director won the Best Director. It is a major breakthrough. It could have been worse. 

You're right Ethan, three Oscars is a win, but I see those Oscars as awarding personal achievement.  The Best Picture award recognizes the film and I'm sorry it lost to such a poor competitor. 

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:56 AM »
You're right Ethan, three Oscars is a win, but I see those Oscars as awarding personal achievement.  The Best Picture award recognizes the film and I'm sorry it lost to such a poor competitor. 

Many of us feel the same way. This will be one historical moment to talk about forever. BBM will be talked about forever.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Aela

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:02 AM »
The Oscars were disgusting, and have lost any shred of legitimacy they may have had in my mind.  I will never watch or care again. 

I believe that history will prove BBM the winner.  In 10 years, 2006 will be discussed as one of those "Worst Oscar Mistakes", right up there with Citizen Kane losing out to How Green Was My Valley.  >:(

What's even worse will be all the smug right-wingers who will point to this as some sort of "proof" that America will never accept gays.   >:( >:( >:(

They don't make an emoticon that shows how angry and disgusted I am right now.
"I was probably no fun anyways, was I?"
--Ennis

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:31 AM »
The Oscars were disgusting, and have lost any shred of legitimacy they may have had in my mind.  I will never watch or care again. 

I believe that history will prove BBM the winner.  In 10 years, 2006 will be discussed as one of those "Worst Oscar Mistakes", right up there with Citizen Kane losing out to How Green Was My Valley.  >:(

What's even worse will be all the smug right-wingers who will point to this as some sort of "proof" that America will never accept gays.   >:( >:( >:(

It is with some sadness that I admit total agreement with you, Aela.  I don't want to sound totally negative, but I must say with all honesty that I found yesterday's antics absolutely disgusting.

I make no apologies.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 10:31 AM by tpe »

Offline minara

• Alma Jr.
  • The avatar says it all.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:08 AM »

I, too, am in total agreement with your statements, Aela.  I went to bed so disappointed last night.  And I have always been so excited at watching the Oscars, it's like magic, usually...but for BBM to be snubbed in such a manner is appalling.

And don't get me started on them not being nominated for best original song....I mean, come on, "It's Not Easy Out Here for a Pimp" is very enlightening and all (drips with sarcasm), but seriously...ANY of the songs on the BBM soundtrack would have beaten it...

Offline totali

• Cassie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:28 AM »

I agree with u,too.
I am so sad and disappointed.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I wonder how many other Best Picture Oscar winners (Crash) won because Academy members voted against a another film's subject matter (BBM). I bet there will be much written about this injustice.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline jeddd

• Cassie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:34 AM »
a cut and paste from another thread I just posted in, but it should be here

IMHO, if Heath was going to lose, the film was going to lose.

The movie rests on his broken back

Best picture without heath as best actor would be some sort of pandering.  Which I would have totally embraced, but it would be an empty victory.  It's his performace that makes the movie the best picture of the year.

But CRASH?  A decent flick, but I got 10-15 movies this year that could easily best it.

Clooney gave the speech of the night

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:38 AM »
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/oscars/env-turan5mar05,0,5359042.story

Breaking no ground
Why 'Crash' won, why 'Brokeback' lost and how the academy chose to play it safe.Winning duo: Co-writer and director Paul Haggis basks in the Oscar glow with producer Cathy Schulman.
(AMPAS)
By Kenneth Turan, Times Staff Writer
March 5, 2006 Sometimes you win by losing, and nothing has proved what a powerful, taboo-breaking, necessary film "Brokeback Mountain" was more than its loss Sunday night to "Crash" in the Oscar best picture category.

Despite all the magazine covers it graced, despite all the red-state theaters it made good money in, despite (or maybe because of) all the jokes late-night talk show hosts made about it, you could not take the pulse of the industry without realizing that this film made a number of people distinctly uncomfortable.

More than any other of the nominated films, "Brokeback Mountain" was the one people told me they really didn't feel like seeing, didn't really get, didn't understand the fuss over. Did I really like it, they wanted to know. Yes, I really did.

In the privacy of the voting booth, as many political candidates who've led in polls only to lose elections have found out, people are free to act out the unspoken fears and unconscious prejudices that they would never breathe to another soul, or, likely, acknowledge to themselves. And at least this year, that acting out doomed "Brokeback Mountain."

For Hollywood, as a whole laundry list of people announced from the podium Sunday night and a lengthy montage of clips tried to emphasize, is a liberal place, a place that prides itself on its progressive agenda. If this were a year when voters had no other palatable options, they might have taken a deep breath and voted for "Brokeback." This year, however, "Crash" was poised to be the spoiler.

I do not for one minute question the sincerity and integrity of the people who made "Crash," and I do not question their commitment to wanting a more equal society. But I do question the film they've made. It may be true, as producer Cathy Schulman said in accepting the Oscar for best picture, that this was "one of the most breathtaking and stunning maverick years in American history," but "Crash" is not an example of that.

I don't care how much trouble "Crash" had getting financing or getting people on board, the reality of this film, the reason it won the best picture Oscar, is that it is, at its core, a standard Hollywood movie, as manipulative and unrealistic as the day is long. And something more.

For "Crash's" biggest asset is its ability to give people a carload of those standard Hollywood satisfactions but make them think they are seeing something groundbreaking and daring. It is, in some ways, a feel-good film about racism, a film you could see and feel like a better person, a film that could make you believe that you had done your moral duty and examined your soul when in fact you were just getting your buttons pushed and your preconceptions reconfirmed.

So for people who were discomfited by "Brokeback Mountain" but wanted to be able to look themselves in the mirror and feel like they were good, productive liberals, "Crash" provided the perfect safe harbor. They could vote for it in good conscience, vote for it and feel they had made a progressive move, vote for it and not feel that there was any stain on their liberal credentials for shunning what "Brokeback" had to offer. And that's exactly what they did.

"Brokeback," it is worth noting, was in some ways the tamest of the discomforting films available to Oscar voters in various categories. Steven Spielberg's "Munich"; the Palestinian Territories' "Paradise Now," one of the best foreign language nominees; and the documentary nominee "Darwin's Nightmare" offered scenarios that truly shook up people's normal ways of seeing the world. None of them won a thing.

Hollywood, of course, is under no obligation to be a progressive force in the world. It is in the business of entertainment, in the business of making the most dollars it can. Yes, on Oscar night, it likes to pat itself on the back for the good it does in the world, but as Sunday night's ceremony proved, it is easier to congratulate yourself for a job well done in the past than actually do that job in the present.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline minara

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:42 AM »
I am in absolute, 100% concurrance with that article.

Offline dissident

• Cassie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:48 AM »
That was a major upset. I saw Crash and thought it was good movie, but certainly not the best of the year. In my opinion, it won because more people in the academy saw the movie. It came out earlier in the year, had been on DVD for several months, and, Lion's Gate spent 4 million dollars on an oscar dvd campaign.

BBM was robbed of a Best Picture award because of nice campaigning.

It would have been nice for Felicity Huffman to have won. TransAmerica was a great flick. But Huffman was very gracious and something like "I was a winner when I was nominated," or something like that.

I'm sure this won't be the last time we see Jake and Heath on the nominations lists. It would have been nice to see them win, but they'll have plenty of opportunities in the future.
Pair of deuces going nowhere.

Offline nutstoyou

• Cassie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:51 AM »
A movie like BBM comes once in 50 years and the fact it didn't win the best movie award is bitter. Once again Hollywood proved that Masterpieces are not awarded with the picture of the year award.
And I do agree with Ethan. We should be happy that BBM won 3 awards as it could have lost everything.

Offline gayhunky

• Cassie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:56 AM »
I can remember posting on another message board several weeks ago, that Brokeback Mountain swept the awards that were nominated by the FOREIGN PRESS and in Britain.  And that their outlook and acceptance of the subject matter was completely different than that of the people in this country.
     That was proved last night, and even though deep down we knew it could happen, it doesn't make it hurt less.

Offline gjz24

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:59 AM »
What is wrong with America???!!!

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:59 AM »
sorry I'll say it again.  Crash was a more-than-mediocre movie that spoon-feeds people what they're supposed to think about racism.

You don't need to be a gay cowboy to identify with the love and power of Brokeback Mountain but you surely have to be some jaded white resident of Southern California (that can overlook really bad dialogue in your movies) to feel anything for Crash...

love this from a review of CRASH:

"Cheadle's black detective--and that's the only way you ever hear of people discussing the particulars of Crash -- opens the film by saying that the people in the City of Angels are so disconnected that they crash into one another "just so we can feel something." (I wrote something like that in a journal as a suicidal fifteen-year-old contemplating cutting myself with the serrated edge of a tape dispenser. Pathetic then, pathetic now.) The implication being that racial tensions and conflagrations are a product of sensitive people closed off from their feelings and needing to express themselves somehow."

Offline minara

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:02 AM »
I wrote something like that in a journal as a suicidal fifteen-year-old contemplating cutting myself with the serrated edge of a tape dispenser. Pathetic then, pathetic now
I'm sorry, but I find this line hilarious!!

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Crash sucked, period. It was over-done, over the top in scope, acting, dialogue etc. A movie that makes people feel good about being bigots....that sure shows where The Academy head is at. Equality, justice, and truth, not in that poor ass excuse of a movie.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:11 AM »
I wrote something like that in a journal as a suicidal fifteen-year-old contemplating cutting myself with the serrated edge of a tape dispenser. Pathetic then, pathetic now
I'm sorry, but I find this line hilarious!!

I know, isn't it great?  ;D

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:16 AM »
May I say "Crash" got lucky? It isn't Crash's fault.

In a movie award like this, everyone has a different taste. The outcome of this proves the tastes of the majority voting members. What is it? We don't know.

There is one certain thing - BBM will be the one being talked about and Crash will be on the book for being lucky one to win. If I could choose, I rather choose the deserving one - not the one with luck.

Whenever there is a voting, it is subject to lobboying and the majority wins. The majority in this case doesn't necessarily represent us.

We cared about the oscar because of our hope for them to do the right thing. It didn't turn out to be the case but we still have hope.

Love is the force of nature and no one can defy the nature. Even though not this time, there will be more to come. 

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:17 AM »
oh come on Ethan, let us rant about it for a day at least.
Yes yes love is a force of nature, but let's enjoy Crash bashing for 24 hours and then get over it!

;D

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Ethan, True.

To me, Trash represents what's wrong with our country and the way they think. Let's tell everyone their not a bigot, let's make them 'feel good'. Let's not DO THE RIGHT THING and examine society...that would be asking a little much in this god forsaken wasteland.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:21 AM »
oh come on Ethan, let us rant about it for a day at least.
Yes yes love is a force of nature, but let's enjoy Crash bashing for 24 hours and then get over it!

;D

I hear you and I understand, matt78 :D Only if you promise that you will get over it after 24 hours.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:28 AM »
I posted earlier that Clooney made an eloquent point about Hollywood being progressive etc.
But you know, it's in ways they feel comfortable. I mean as George said they gave Hattie McDaniels
an Oscar but if you recall she played a slave right?  And Denzel got his for playing basically a pimp.
I mean I don't know, I wouldn't exactly call Hollywood progressive, they really treated Altman badly.
in fact even Ebert said he shouldn't accept that honorary award.

So fellas who cares what they think.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:28 AM »
I promise!  Otherwise my name's not matt78!  ;)

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:30 AM »
When Brokeback Mountain lost to Crash it was like getting kicked in the stomach.  I saw
Crash, and liked it, but it had no heart, and wasn't remotely in a class with BBM.

But this morning, in a way, I think it might be better that it was Crash instead of one of
the other three that beat BBM, and that is because the other three had somber
historical subjects: Capote's writing of In Cold Blood, Edward R. Murrow vs. McCarthy, and
the Olympic murder of Israeli athletes.  One of them might have been thought in the
future to be more 'worthy' because of its content.

But Crash is so unlikely to maintain its fleeting glory, because movie lovers are not that
stupid in the end, that part of Brokeback lore in the future may be, as it should be,
that it was unjustly denied what it deserved.