Author Topic: Annie Proulx on how her Brokeback Oscar hopes were dashed by Crash  (Read 28703 times)

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Welcome aboard Lightsrays, I just merged your topic to this existing one.

Enjoy this forum  ;)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
Re: "Blood on the Red Carpet"
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Hmm...
I had always interpreted that line about the open space to mean what he knew: his intense love for Jack Twist, and what he tried to believe: that he wasn't "queer", but your interpretation does open another avenue. Love this story!! And love this forum too!! ;)
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: "Blood on the Red Carpet"
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Hi people!

How are you. My first post here. Some of you might know me from other boards... By the way does anyone know what happened to the Annie Proulx's board? They took it down yesterday. No reasons given. Anyone knows?

It might be related to the topic of this thread. A lot of homophobic "people" went there to complain about her article at the Guardian. Lots of recriminatory posts.

Anyhow, I was wondering the following... Since she chose as the title of her article "Blood on the Red Carpet", doesn't it imply that homophobia was the REAL reason that Jack was murdered?

So are we finally CERTAIN in what she meant when she wrote: "There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."

As Ennis "now he knew it had been the tire iron" after hearing Jack's father talk, then what he KNEW and what he tried to BELIEVE was a bit apart.

With "Blood on the red carpet" it becomes pretty clear that homophobic violence was the thing that Ennis knew, but tried to believe otherwise.

Do you all agree?

Very interesting.  Thanks Lightsrays.  I did not know Proulx's site is down.  If it because it is under attack by barbarians, rhwn I hope we are not in their radar screen...

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
You watch BBM and feel that at last thre is hope.

Then these a'holes do this and cause the site to close and you think leave us the hell alone. I for one am sick of these people. Where are their sites , lets go there (no let's not, let's be more dignified and leave bigottry and intolerance to them.

They know nothing about loving the person. I hope their gods are taking note.

Tom
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
tombul and Lightsrays, we can rest easy for now. The Proulx site apprears to be online again.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Thanks tpe, much appreciated

Tom
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline Lightsrays

• Cassie

The site has been up all along. What they took off was the link to the forum.

Go to the FAQ part and then look for the Forum in there and click on it.

You are going to see.

Let me know what you find.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Let me know what you find.

From her website.

"news

03/15/06: forum down

The site will be changing over the next couple of months as we move to a new host and upgrade our software. I appreciate your patience. "
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline shieldmaid

• Jack
Here's a link to another version of this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/15/film.proulx.ap/index.html

I'm so proud of Ms. Proulx for not mincing words, for standing up for a work of art we all believe in, and for demonstrating the power of words (and cinema) to make life meaningful.  (again, I come back to my eternal question: WHY wasn't she shown on film at the Oscars???  Sorry if this was covered elsewhere--I've been swamped at work lately.  :))
some open space between

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
I'm so proud of Ms. Proulx for not mincing words, for standing up for a work of art we all believe in, and for demonstrating the power of words (and cinema) to make life meaningful.  (again, I come back to my eternal question: WHY wasn't she shown on film at the Oscars???  Sorry if this was covered elsewhere--I've been swamped at work lately.  :))

Hello shieldmaid, thank you for your post.

I too am very proud of her and she should be proud of her works as well. Regarding your question - Although I haven't seen any discussion why she was not shown on TV, my take is that she would prefer not to be shown given that she is a very private person.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

aimi15

Here's a link to another version of this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/15/film.proulx.ap/index.html

I agree, its refreshing to hear someone that does put her point of view across for something she believes in , irrespective of any backlash her views may create. I get sick of all the insincerity in fameland, Annie rocks for standing up to be counted!

Offline hidesert

• Alma

Annie Proulx's website, www.annieproulx.com is up, but the "Forum" is gone.  Don't know if the Forum was removed temporarily or permanently.  Shame that a highly respected writer can't express her opinion without having her website trashed.  Sounds like a homophobic response to me.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis

Annie Proulx's website, www.annieproulx.com is up, but the "Forum" is gone.  Don't know if the Forum was removed temporarily or permanently.  Shame that a highly respected writer can't express her opinion without having her website trashed.  Sounds like a homophobic response to me.

From her website.

"news

The site will be changing over the next couple of months as we move to a new host and upgrade our software. I appreciate your patience. "

Offline Lightsrays

• Cassie
I too am very proud of her and she should be proud of her works as well. Regarding your question - Although I haven't seen any discussion why she was not shown on TV, my take is that she would prefer not to be shown given that she is a very private person.

I don't think that she asked not to be shown. Otherwise Diana O. would not have spoken about her.

I think what happened was that they didn't want to look like they were pandering to the "gay agenda" that conservatives have been accused Hollywood of doing.

I don't think they "votes" were even counted!

The best analisis of the loss I read on the Huffington Post. By a poster. Here it is:

I liked both movies. I read Brokeback Mountain a few years ago -- and for those of you not in the know, it was written by a straight woman. It's a slow simple story -- and part of its beauty is in what is not said really being as important as what is said. For those of you who thought it was boring, perhaps you should stay home and play video games. Deep thought is not for those who need bombs and car chases and excitment every second.

This whole argument of Crash vs. Brokeback Mountain has nothing to do with homophobia or which movie was better (they were both great), or which movie the academy members could most relate to. The whole thing comes down to a "rigged voting system" when it suits the academy and this year it suited them. Does anybody truly believe that "It's Hard Out Here Being a Pimp" was really the best song? Is it even a song that should have been nominated at all? Ugh! I think not. Look, the academy and its members have taken so much shit over the last few years for not recognizing "more people of color" or "historically unrepresented minorities". Academy members are being force fed all this PC stuff so the only thing they can do is cave into the pressure from those who feel "our community is not being recognized!" Right, as if the thing that is really holding these "communities" back, wheather it's gay, black, latino, muslim, christian or whatever is hinged on winning Academy Awards. We all know the worst thing you can accuse the academy of is not being tolerant or "inclusive." It's like all these groups are threatening Hollywood with the dreaded "B" word... bigot.

So the reality has now arrived: truly mediocre, and often bad, acheivments in film and music are being recognized as "brilliance" so that people can feel good about "representing my peeps" and along the way becoming some sort of cultural icon, as if what they have acheived in film is comparable to the contributions to humanity made by Martin Luther King Jr, Cesar Chavez, Yoyo Ma, Kiri Takanowa, Paul Williams (the architect)and all those drag queens who fought so hard during the Stonewall riots.

Now what is truly excellent has to compete with the truly mediocre. Everone needs to be pleased and represented these days or there will be a law suit or a boycott pending. It's such a bunch of bullshit and it's really, really sad.

Someone from the black community now has to win something every year (It's Hard Out Here....) Someone from the gay community has to win (BB Mountain 3 awards, and let's not forget that "the Industry" is heavily gay). The Asian community has recently been aggravated about lack of representation on screen and nominations so Memories of A Geisha took three Oscars.

Everything this year at the Oscars was nice and safe and fair and dull. An awards show designed and dedicated to offending nobody.

I think the awards for Best Song, Best Make-up and Best Visual Effects were much more contaversial that Best Movie. Who on Earth would give King Kong a nomination for anything? On second thought, who would give George Clooney an Oscar for acting?

Posted by: louisxix on March 12, 2006 at 08:00pm

As you can see the "votes" were STRATEGICALLY "given" so it's an IMPOSSIBILITY that they were REAL votes.

And the Associate Press - part of this whole conspiracy to keep the conservative discourse going - finishes their "article" on AP with the following:

Calls by the Associated Press to Proulx's Wyoming home and her literary agent, Elizabeth Darhansoff, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

Did they wait more than "immediate" seconds in order to publish that traparently bashing article on her?

They answer the question, don't they?

Offline hidesert

• Alma

From her website.

"news

Thanks Ethan.  The AP Forum was good, but different than this site.  Glad they'll be coming back.

Offline Lightsrays

• Cassie

From her website.

"news

Thanks Ethan.  The AP Forum was good, but different than this site.  Glad they'll be coming back.

Yes. Thanks Ethan! I guess they put that up just before we talked. When I looked there I could not find anything. I guess they want to "pass time" so that people will not troll much there.

And I liked her board. The simplicity of it was very appealling.

Here there are sooooooo many subdivisions. It's overwhelming.

Offline Lightsrays

• Cassie
Another good, telling, "subtle" one:

Excuse me, BBM was the most talked about, most praised, most awarded movie of 2005. It missed one prize - ONE PRIZE. Can't the people involved just celebrate the fact that it was as successful (financially/critically) as it was and feel they've achieved some victory (which they have.)

BBM's success should be seen as at least a small triumph, not an indictment of our society.

One prize it didn't get. ONE!!

Oh, and BTW, The same f'ing people vote in ALL of the film awards.

Posted by: HollywoodFilth on March 14, 2006 at 10:26pm [/list][/color]

How come then Crash "won" after BBM won ALL the other ones??

These people are so transparent.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2006, 11:08 PM by Lightsrays »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
These people are so transparent.

Good one. Thanks for posting this. And it says a lot, doesn't it?

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
Dear LIGTHSRAY I understand your comment that it " Brokeback Mountain has not won at the Oscars and lost only ONE award according to your post.
   However to most of America and the millions who specially tuned in to the show,
  boosting it ratings after years of decline,
  it was in the hope to see whether the Hollywood stigma had finally eroded
  and that it had come to terms with the homophobic attitude that cursed as so to speak its peers.
  Ever since " Rock Hudson's " death Hollywood has tried to post a more liberal views of its minorities
  IE: blacks, Latinos, Chinese, and many more,
  but when it came to gays or anything in relevance to it,
  its shoved it under the carpet,
  so having had an acknowledgment for BBM receiving the best film would have diluted the suspicions of the old mantra
 " don't tell we wont speak of it"
 But no they acted like stupid fools and ignorant as any who wish to contend it was a ll fair game.
 In the other context of things
 what GOOD came of the Academy is that BBM did not have won the OSCARS for best film,
 BUT one thing is for sure it WON the hearts of millions around the world....
 and that the Academy couldn't get,
 and as for Crash well good luck and good night as we say,
 they can keep the Oscars,
 it will take a few more years to get back to the podium,
 however BBM will prevail as the Classic that put us up there in the forefront
 as the invisible majority who have been silence too long.
 That in itself is the gift form what came out of the Academy, for that alone, I say thank you
 and yet it had already wond ten times fold, no matter the outcome
 Peace
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline Lightsrays

• Cassie
Dear LIGTHSRAY I understand your comment that it " Brokeback Mountain has not won at the Oscars and lost only ONE award according to your post.
   However to most of America and the millions who specially tuned in to the show,
  boosting it ratings after years of decline,
  it was in the hope to see whether the Hollywood stigma had finally eroded
  and that it had come to terms with the homophobic attitude that cursed as so to speak its peers.
  Ever since " Rock Hudson's " death Hollywood has tried to post a more liberal views of its minorities
  IE: blacks, Latinos, Chinese, and many more,
  but when it came to gays or anything in relevance to it,
  its shoved it under the carpet,
  so having had an acknowledgment for BBM receiving the best film would have diluted the suspicions of the old mantra
 " don't tell we wont speak of it"

You missed the subtlety of it. Only ONE recognition was not given to BBM, all the other awards gave them the Best Film. YET, the same people vote for *ALL* these other awards.

What the writer was saying was: the voting "results" were RIGGED.

Read it again. And then complain with them. Not me.

I am just pointing this out to naive people who still thinks this is about "homophobia".

This is about ECONOMICS.

They didn't want to upset the present administration. They are making sure their discourse keeps going on.. Which IS homophobic, but that's another matter.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
'Brokeback' writer voices truth on Oscars' relevance
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:07 PM »
From http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/14121523.htm

-------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Mar. 17, 2006

KAREN HERSHENSON: CINERAMA
'Brokeback' writer voices truth on Oscars' relevance

WE HAD a spirited discussion in the newsroom this morning about comments made by Annie Proulx, author of the slender short story "Brokeback Mountain," which director Ang Lee turned into a breathtakingly nuanced big-screen picture. You may have heard of it: a couple of hunky actors, a wide-open Western backdrop, behavior many found unbefitting a cowboy.

As you may also know, the movie seemed unstoppable heading into the Academy Awards, having already swept most of the big awards ceremonies. There were whispers that the multilayered race melodrama "Crash" might come up from behind, but I for one dismissed them -- "Crash" was nowhere near the movie that "Brokeback" was. It had moments of brilliance, to be sure, but it was overly ambitious, almost ham-handed in its earnestness.

So when Jack Nicholson blurted out that "Crash" had won best picture, collective jaws dropped. I was on serious deadline at that point, helping to get our Oscar coverage into the next day's paper; still, I wandered around the office, fuming. It seemed like such a cop-out, the Academy backing away from controversy yet again.

I can only imagine what Annie Proulx was doing, because last weekend she spewed in The Guardian, a British newspaper. A 1,094-word rant, as brilliant and precise as her Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Shipping News."

The red carpet in front of the theatre was larger than the Red Sea. ... Sequins, diamonds, glass beads, trade beads sparkled like the interior of a salt mine.

And then the harsher stuff. That Jon Stewart was "witty and quick, too witty, too quick, too eastern perhaps for the somewhat dim L.A. crowd."

And of course the harsh words about "Crash":

She called them "conservative heffalump academy voters," who were "out of touch, not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city."

Cut to Wednesday morning, the day this section goes to press. A good friend at the paper came over to my desk and stated flat out: "Annie Proulx is on my list." She was appalled that even this notoriously sharp-tongued author would lash out at the Academy, which did award "Brokeback" with three high honors -- best director, best adapted screenplay, best original score. To her, Proulx's anger seemed downright tacky.

Normally, I would agree with her. But Proulx's rant hit on something those of us who love film -- really love it -- have been realizing for years now: The Academy Awards have lost their relevance. They've been upstaged by awards that are more in tune with reality, such as the Independent Spirit Awards, which Proulx cited, even the Golden Globes, which are way more fun.

Instead of being a body of professionals who consistently recognize truly great films, the Academy consistently caves in to political pressure, and the fear of public backlash. Prizes going to artists to make up for previous years' slights. George Clooney getting best supporting actor because they couldn't reward his directing talents.

Until Oscar voters find the courage to make the hard calls, their Big Night will continue to slip in our esteem and the ratings.
Movie lovers deserve better.

Karen Hershenson is the Arts and Entertainment editor of the Times. Reach her at khershen@cctimes.com or 925-943-8252.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: 'Brokeback' writer voices truth on Oscars' relevance
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Until Oscar voters find the courage to make the hard calls, their Big Night will continue to slip in our esteem and the ratings.

tpe, thanks for posting this article. Yes, it is time for movie lovers to do something.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:55 PM »

tpe, thanks for posting this article. Yes, it is time for movie lovers to do something.

I forsee not seeing the charade for the rest of my life -- to hell with Oscar Parties.  ;)

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:58 PM »

Ditto!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
I had lost interest in the Oscars years ago.  I found them to be just a big party, when someone didn't get an award they get one later (ie Paul Newman) etc.  I only watched this year cause of BBM, but that's it.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline hidesert

• Alma
I had lost interest in the Oscars years ago.  I found them to be just a big party, when someone didn't get an award they get one later (ie Paul Newman) etc.  I only watched this year cause of BBM, but that's it. 

Same here.  They reward crap with $400.00 statuettes and fail to honor individuals and films that are outstanding.   They have made themselves irrelevant.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Same here.  They reward crap with $400.00 statuettes and fail to honor individuals and films that are outstanding.   They have made themselves irrelevant.

Only $400.00? OK. It makes me feel even better. BBM can skip the statuettes.  ;D

Offline hidesert

• Alma

Only $400.00? OK. It makes me feel even better. BBM can skip the statuettes.  ;D 

Yeah the latest price for the electro plated britannium statuette - I think they got stiffed.   ;D

A number of years ago I moved and needed to register to vote and a local couple were deputy registrars so I  went to their house.  While I was sitting in their living room, I spied an Oscar on the book shelf and I asked them about it.  It belonged to a friend who had died - he received it for some technical innovation.  It was heavier than I expected (presently 8.5 lbs) but very atractive.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006, 10:43 PM by hidesert »

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
You and I are on the exact same page. I had not watched the Oscars for many years, and watched this year only because of BBM. And I knew I was just setting myself up to be disappointed again. Well I won't make that mistake in future years, and can content myself with catching parts of other awards programs. ( I actually find them all hard to watch; I think they are-bottom line-boring.)
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline ms.bluesky

• Lureen
stupid crash
:..i miss you so much i cant hardly stand it...: