Author Topic: BBM hits France...  (Read 12876 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
BBM hits France...
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 03:12 PM »
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: BBM hits France...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:22 PM »
I wonder why they called it "le secret" I mean I like it in a way but where did that come from?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Krispera

• Alma
  • krisp luvs you
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:51 PM »
the secret of brokeback mountain.

It means like the secret about the love they have for eachother (homosexuals.. so it's a secret no :P? psst.. it is a secret  :-X)

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:01 AM »
It's cool sounding in French, but if they called it The Secret of Brokeback Mountain here in the Americas, it would come off sounding like some Murder She Wrote type thing  :-\
Give me your hand
And take what you will tonight, I'll give it as fast
And high as the flame will rise
Cinder and smoke
Some whispers around the trees
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:35 PM »
In France it is Le Secret de Brokeback Mountain.
In Québec Souvenirs de Brokeback Mountain.

Both are good (I think), one refers to the secret love story of Ennis and Jack.  And the other refers to the souvenirs of that one special summer, the guys live with all their lifes.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

JerBear418720

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Thing unique to the language maybe?  Like no word for potato (pomme de terre = apple of the earth)?

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 03:37 AM »
Thing unique to the language maybe?  Like no word for potato (pomme de terre = apple of the earth)?

We call them "patates" in French, or "pommes de terre", but don't you think that the later is so much more poetic..apple of the earth...

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

JerBear418720

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Yes, I agree, poetic and beautiful!  I had a French grandmother who lived in Paris until she was 20 and then immigrated to Chicago with my grandfather.  Good plan - they were Jews and were here in the US long before the rise of Hitler.  He died before I was born, and she lived with us for a time.  I could speak French fluently when I was about 3, but it slipped away after she died, too.  I now find that when I visit France, after about a week, it starts coming back, and I can ask directions, order food, without rehearsing first.  LOL - nothing to do with BBM, but fun to find cultural links with other guys here.

JerBear418720

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Oops - girls, too - just noticed ur female, froggie!  BTW. point of interest (or not!), my grandfather's name was Jack! 

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Oops - girls, too - just noticed ur female, froggie!  BTW. point of interest (or not!), my grandfather's name was Jack! 

Well in the UK we say "guys" when we talk about a group of people...(girls and guys together)...so don't worry  ;D LOL

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:03 AM »
It's always interesting to see how key phrases in a picture get translated.  Phrases in BBM like "...if you can’t fix it you’ve got to stand it" or "I wish I knew how to quit you.”   The rough rural dialect is so much a part of the movie that I wonder if any translation can convey it correctly.  Anyone know if they dubbed the French or are they using subtitles.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:41 AM »
Saw both!  Haw!  First time in the French dubbed version.

You have to understand here, in Quebec, by the law, new movies are released in both original and French dubbed versions.  Which make us lucky Montrealers having access to all new releases in North-America.

Since the dubbed version was my first viewing, I had not much to complaint.  Got the story and I was very moved.

I saw it 2 weeks later, original version with French subtitles.  Hmm!  Listening to the lines and reading subtitles I sometimes had the feeling I was watching two different stories.  Not to mention I went to Opera plays, knowing very well the original libretto and, looking at the tittles (English and French) I was now looking at 3 different stories.

Same as novels, reading originals in English and French translations.  The only one time I read a book in English and found accurate and excellent French translations were Harry Potter's novels.  I stop here it's not the matter of this topic.

Hope I could help.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:58 PM »
I saw it 2 weeks later, original version with French subtitles.  Hmm!  Listening to the lines and reading subtitles I sometimes had the feeling I was watching two different stories.  Not to mention I went to Opera plays, knowing very well the original libretto and, looking at the tittles (English and French) I was now looking at 3 different stories.

Same as novels, reading originals in English and French translations.  The only one time I read a book in English and found accurate and excellent French translations were Harry Potter's novels.

I stop here it's not the matter of this topic.
Thanks!   I do think it's very much on topic because poor dubbing dialogue or subtitles can really change the meaning of a story.  As you said about the opera libretto, "...I was now looking at 3 different stories."   I haven't seen BBM in any foreign language so this is not a criticism of the dubbing or subtitles used, I'm speaking generally of translations.

The essence of BBM is Annie Proulx's beautiful story.  To understand what two uneducated, dirt poor, 19 year old ranch hands were feeling in 1963 Wyoming, an accurate translation is critical.                     

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:04 PM »
The essence of BBM is Annie Proulx's beautiful story.  To understand what two uneducated, dirt poor, 19 year old ranch hands were feeling in 1963 Wyoming, an accurate translation is critical.

So right,

In this particular case, they are more speaking slang other than English.  It is impossible to do any accurate translation from slang to foreign language.  It's not appropriate.

Stick to the original!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
mistranslation of Ennis' last line? -possible spoiler-
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:13 AM »
I don't want to give anything away but I have heard that in the French Canadian version, Ennis' last line is grossly mistranslated as "Jack, si tu savais..." (Jack, if you knew...)

I think the original line in English is so much deeper and more beautiful...hopefuly the Franco-français version will stay true to the text, at least in the subtitled version.  Will see tomorrow!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:00 AM »
I don't want to give anything away but I have heard that in the French Canadian version, Ennis' last line is grossly mistranslated as "Jack, si tu savais..." (Jack, if you knew...)

C'est cela... that's it!

I wrote it before.... stick to the original!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:23 AM »
Can't wait!  BBM opens today in France.  Me and my friends Olivier, Olivier, David, Sebastien and my partner Nick will all be at the MK2 Beaubourg for the 21:40 showing!
A ce soir!
Matt
 ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Please let us know about your viewing!

A plus tard!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Can't wait!  BBM opens today in France.  Me and my friends Olivier, Olivier, David, Sebastien and my partner Nick will all be at the MK2 Beaubourg for the 21:40 showing!
A ce soir!
Matt
 ;D

Wow..let us know how it went GO BBM GO...

Quand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas,
Je vois la vie en rose.

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Well, ca y est - just got back from seeing BBM at the MK2 next to the Pompidou Center in Paris.

I was so moved again, still did not cry though....

The theater was packed, 90% gay men and some women.  This was to be expected as the theater is in the gayest part of town, it's a Wednesday night and the show let out at midnight.  Anyway, everyone was very respctful.  The only thing that somewhat spoiled the experience was the temperature.  It was so damn hot in there!  By the end we were all sweating.  The French really need to ventilate their theaters a little more.

As for the subtitles, for the most part I was happy although there were some translations that irked me.  Notably:

-Lurleen's "What are you waiting for cowboy, a mating call?" became "Mais qu'attends-tu donc Cowboy?  Qu'on te prenne par la main?" (what are you waiting for Cowboy?  For someone to take you by the hand?)

When Jack describes his marriage as something he could do over the telephone - that line ends with something like "il ne se passe pas grand chose" (not much happens) rather than the cute telephone line.

The worst mistranslation (understandably as this is one of the most creative lines) was "This is a goddamned bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" Translation into French was "Cette putain de situation ne me satisfait pas du tout" (This f***ing situation does not satisfy me at all)

Happily though, they were faithful with Ennis' last line "Jack, I swear" - "Jack, je te jure"

So overall, a great experience which I and my French friends really appreciated.  I'm sure they will all be suffering PBS in the next few days.

For now, it's nearly 1am so bonne nuit a tous!  :)
Matt

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:16 PM »
So overall, a great experience which I and my French friends really appreciated.  I'm sure they will all be suffering PBS in the next few days.

Then come here and share with us.  Believe me, PBS drives you nuts and makes you do things... Just go and see the story of my lost T-Shirt!

Bonne nuit,

Pierre
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Well, ca y est - just got back from seeing BBM at the MK2 next to the Pompidou Center in Paris.

I was so moved again, still did not cry though....

The theater was packed, 90% gay men and some women.  This was to be expected as the theater is in the gayest part of town, it's a Wednesday night and the show let out at midnight.  Anyway, everyone was very respctful.  The only thing that somewhat spoiled the experience was the temperature.  It was so damn hot in there!  By the end we were all sweating.  The French really need to ventilate their theaters a little more.

As for the subtitles, for the most part I was happy although there were some translations that irked me.  Notably:

-Lurleen's "What are you waiting for cowboy, a mating call?" became "Mais qu'attends-tu donc Cowboy?  Qu'on te prenne par la main?" (what are you waiting for Cowboy?  For someone to take you by the hand?)

When Jack describes his marriage as something he could do over the telephone - that line ends with something like "il ne se passe pas grand chose" (not much happens) rather than the cute telephone line.

The worst mistranslation (understandably as this is one of the most creative lines) was "This is a goddamned bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" Translation into French was "Cette putain de situation ne me satisfait pas du tout" (This f***ing situation does not satisfy me at all)

Happily though, they were faithful with Ennis' last line "Jack, I swear" - "Jack, je te jure"

For now, it's nearly 1am so bonne nuit a tous!  :)
Matt

Thanks matt78.  Translations are such a quirky thing! 

Offline Rickfreitas

• Cassie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:48 AM »
Just a question: How did the French subtitles translated the famous line: "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it"?

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2006, 04:51 AM »

Something like "Si tu ne peux rien y changer, faut t'y faire."
I think it's an ok translation

Offline Pierre

• Time to hit the hay, cowboy...
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:18 AM »

Something like "Si tu ne peux rien y changer, faut t'y faire."
I think it's an ok translation

In the french translation of the book of "Rivages poche" editor and translator Anne Damour (!!!) it is "et quand on ne peut rien y faire il faut vivre avec"
I prefer yours Matt, closer from A.Proulx spirit about spoken language.
Pierre