Author Topic: Acclaimed Film Faces Stereotypes  (Read 2834 times)

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
Acclaimed Film Faces Stereotypes
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Article about young men's reluctance to see Brokeback Mountain.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-06/01-06-06/a01lo841.htm

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Acclaimed Film Faces Stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Proulx was right when she said that young people who are still a bit insecure/uncomfortable about sexuality will probably not see this film.  Just like the young Ennis and Jack...

According to the article, some of the young men interviewed will have no problem seeing the film with their girlfriends, but will have a problem seeing it with a good male friend because people would think that they were gay lovers.

This only shows that they are not yet mature enough to be sure or comfortable with their own sexuality without reference to what other people (like their peers) may think of them.

In other words: if you are straight, you are straight.  Will the opinion of other people affect or change this?  It is indeed a question of insecurity.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2006, 04:39 PM by tpe »

Offline Apollonos

• Lureen
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:11 AM »
The makers of BBM knew that the film wouldn't be for everyone, but even one of the young men from the interview apparently thought of BBM as a romantic movie, as opposed to a gay movie.

Mr. Quinn agreed. "I'd go with my girlfriend but I wouldn't go with my best friend. It's like, a guy wouldn't go see a romantic movie with another guy, no matter what the movie's about.

I think that's pretty amazing, in and of itself.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:22 AM »
I took a straight male friend who wouldn't have gone without a female.  He isn't homophobic so much
as just shy and insecure! 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Apollonos

• Lureen
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:35 AM »
Good for you! Just as it says in the article, most young, straight guys would be afraid to go alone or with another guy for fear of being labeled gay themselves. Maybe we could organize a group of ladies to act as chaperones, and accompany these young, straight men to see BBM!   ;D