Author Topic: News Coverage: January 8 - 15  (Read 16589 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: News Coverage: January 8 - 15
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Just before I go...here is a photo of the cutest couple in Oz...at the Sydney premiere.

http://people.aol.com/people/galleries/0,19884,1147572_3,00.html

Golden Globe nominees (and real-life couple) Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams attend the Sydney premiere of Brokeback Mountain on Friday – where they were reportedly drenched by the paparazzi. Some photographers who claimed Ledger spit at them last year greeted the two with water pistols.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Just before I go...here is a photo of the cutest couple in Oz...at the Sydney premiere.

Thanks for posting this. Michelle and Heath are the *hottest* couple in Hollywood these days. Good for them and for sure that they will be under the spot light for some time. Better get used to it.  ;)
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:05 PM »
This story makes my blood boil. They better back off my Heath 

Paparazzi shoot water pistols at Ledger

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060113/2/xkxp.html

Five paparazzi photographers whom Heath Ledger allegedly spat at have retaliated at the Sydney premiere of his new movie - shooting the actor with water pistols.

As Ledger arrived with partner Michelle Williams at Cinema Paris at Fox Studios on Friday night, the photographers took aim at the Hollywood heart-throb with the toys.

They hit him in the face and chest, wetting his hair and clothing, in an action taking some 10 seconds.

Ledger put his hands up to protect himself and tried to shield his partner, who was also hit by the water, as they moved quickly inside the cinema complex.

Upon seeing the incident, security guards moved towards the paparazzi but the five had left the scene.

Veteran paparazzi photographer Peter Carrette, who was not (not) involved in the incident, told AAP: "Enough is enough.

"Some boys thought they would get him back for spitting at them. It's (spitting) totally out of order.

"I came here to do my job but if anyone spat at me I would deck them.

"We are just doing our job. He gets $250,000 a picture (a movie) and we get $250 a picture. Who the hell does he think he is?"

Last week, Ledger said he was hurt and embarrassed by claims he had spat at journalists on the Sydney set of the movie Candy last year and by a recent report that said his uncle spat in a photographer's face.

"It's disgusting and awful. I would never in a million years do anything like that," Ledger told News Ltd newspapers.

"I'm not some sort of dirty spitter."

To the premiere, Ledger wore a hooded jumper under a black suit jacket, his outfit completed with sunglasses and sneakers, while Williams wore a navy Chanel dress.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
SF Chron,GG lookin' good for BBM....
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:21 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/13/DDG9HGJ9II34.DTL

"...WILL WIN: Although Hoffman deservedly will corral a share of the votes, look for Ledger to take home the prize.

SHOULD WIN: Ledger, because he's simply unforgettable....."

When the 63rd annual Golden Globes are dispersed, it will be the first time the award show airs on a Monday night in 12 years on NBC. The star-studded ceremony was moved from Sunday so "it wouldn't be in direct competition with the NFL playoffs," said Wendy Luckenbill, the network's vice president of entertainment publicity.

For those who follow movies more avidly than football, the Golden Globes are in a league of their own -- the most important playoff on the road to the Academy Awards. The Globes have an 80 percent accuracy rate forecasting the Oscars' best picture pick, an impressive statistic even if it is skewed by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the group behind the Golden Globes, dividing the best-picture categories into drama and musical or comedy, thereby doubling the number of winners.

In a year in which the Oscar race is wide open, those who take home a Globe will have an advantage for the really big prize. Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have to cast their ballots for Oscar nominations by Jan. 21, so they're sure to be keeping score Monday night.

Belying its past reputation of being a tad too cozy with the Hollywood establishment, the foreign press nominated five independent films for best drama, each made for less than $30 million. Pricey big studio entries such as "King Kong," "Munich," "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Cinderella Man" were passed over in the process.

This crop of nominees most closely resembles the 1997 show when art house films like "Shine," "Secrets and Lies," "Fargo" and "The English Patient" dominated the slate. While Luckenbill denies that NBC is concerned about ratings, historically audiences for movie award shows are smaller when fewer people have seen the nominated films. It's like watching the Tony awards when you aren't familiar with any of the plays.

Nominated films like "Brokeback Mountain," "Match Point" and "Mrs. Henderson Presents" have yet to open in most parts of the country. "The Squid and the Whale," up for best musical or comedy, has taken in less than $5 million, and it was released months ago. In the best-drama category, "The Constant Gardener" is the highest grosser, bringing in nearly $35 million. That's peanuts compared to "King Kong," which is lugging toward a gorilla-size $200 million.

Besides easing the way to Oscar glory, a win Monday is sure to boost box-office interest. Look for distributors to take out splashy ads proclaiming Golden Globe recipients. What will those advertisements say? Here are my fearless predictions of the winners, along with my opinion of the most deserving.

Picture, drama

NOMINEES: "Brokeback Mountain," "The Constant Gardener," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "A History of Violence," "Match Point."

WILL WIN: "Brokeback Mountain," a standout even in this distinguished company.

SHOULD WIN: "Brokeback Mountain," because it was made with such care and compassion and because the subject matter couldn't be timelier.

Actor, drama

NOMINEES: Russell Crowe ("Cinderella Man''), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Capote''), Terrence Howard ("Hustle & Flow''), Heath Ledger ("Brokeback Mountain''), David Strathairn ("Good Night, and Good Luck'').

WILL WIN: Although Hoffman deservedly will corral a share of the votes, look for Ledger to take home the prize.

SHOULD WIN: Ledger, because he's simply unforgettable.

Director

NOMINEES: Woody Allen ("Match Point''), George Clooney ("Good Night, and Good Luck''), Peter Jackson ("King Kong''), Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain''), Fernando Meirelles ("The Constant Gardener''), Steven Spielberg ("Munich'').

WILL WIN: Lee, as close to a global director as Hollywood has.

SHOULD WIN: Lee, as much for the range of his work as the subtlety he displays in "Brokeback."

Screenplay

NOMINEES: Woody Allen ("Match Point''), George Clooney and Grant Heslov ("Good Night, and Good Luck''), Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco ("Crash''), Tony Kushner and Eric Roth ("Munich''), Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana ("Brokeback Mountain'').

WILL WIN: McMurtry and Ossana, to round out "Brokeback's" sweep or near sweep.

SHOULD WIN: McMurtry and Ossana, for fleshing out Annie Proulx's memorable short story and especially for breathing life into the main characters' wives, who were mere asides in the story.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

• Administrator
  • Jack
Re: SF Chron,GG lookin' good for BBM....
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:04 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/13/DDG9HGJ9II34.DTL

"...WILL WIN: Although Hoffman deservedly will corral a share of the votes, look for Ledger to take home the prize.

SHOULD WIN: Ledger, because he's simply unforgettable....."

Thanks for posting this. I am going to cross post this in the GG board. Gee..I am getting anxious.

• Administrator
  • Jack
Childress theater bans ‘Brokeback Mountain’
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2006, 04:10 AM »
By David Webb Staff Writer
Jan 12, 2006, 22:47

Jack Twist leaves Brokeback Mountain and while riding on the rodeo circuit winds up in Childress, Texas, where he meets a barrel racer named Lureen. Twist marries Lureen, the wealthy daughter of a farm machinery dealer, and settles down in Childress. But four years after he last saw Ennis Del Mar, Twist rekindles their relationship with a postcard asking Del Mar if he wants to go fishing. The two carry on a long-distance relationship spanning two decades.

As praise for the gay cowboy love story “Brokeback Mountain” builds momentum across the country, most residents of Childress, Texas, seem oblivious to the attention the movie is focusing on their sleepy town. And it is likely to stay that way.

“Brokeback Mountain” will not play at Childress’ one theater, the Lone Star 4. The closest place for Childress residents to see the movie will be in Amarillo, which is about 116 miles to the north. It is also not playing in Lubbock or Wichita Falls, the two other larger cities closest to Childress.

Vince LaCario, owner of the Lone Star 4, said the movie was not scheduled for showing in Childress because of its content. “We’re a real small community with a lot of church presence,” LaCario said. “I’m afraid it would shake up some turmoil.”

Complete article http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_390.php

• Administrator
  • Jack
Homosexual Agenda Pushed in Movies Like BBM
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2006, 05:42 AM »
Homosexual Agenda Pushed in Movies Like Brokeback Mountain     
By Paul Strand
Washington Sr. Correspondent

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/news/060113d.asp

CBN.com – WASHINGTON - Brokeback Mountain is the biggest, boldest attempt yet by Hollywood to gain sympathy, if not outright support, for those practicing the homosexual lifestyle.

As CBN News reports, it is not just an isolated effort.  There is a well-planned propaganda campaign at work -- a campaign laid out all the way back in the 1980s.

The movie Brokeback Mountain looks like a big, bold, manly Western movie.  But instead of the usual "boy meets girl" romance, this film's about "cowboy meets cowboy."

It is one of the most forward attempts so far by Hollywood to mainstream homosexuality.

"It is very, very propagandistic, because the entire purpose of the movie is to make homosexuality seem like something good and appealing, and to make people who are opposed to homosexuality bigots and homophobes,"  said David Kupelian, author of The Marketing of Evil.

There have been homosexual movies for years, but they are usually marketed to gay and art-house audiences.  But not with Brokeback.

"They are marketing Red State, Bush-country America," Kupelian said.

But the way the studio did that was by opening it up in just five Blue State cities where there were large, built-in gay audiences, so the first showings had blockbuster numbers.

"And they get these high numbers and all the buzz going,” Kupelian said, “and then pretty soon it's sort of like the emperor's new clothes effect: we're all looking at that --  even middle, Christian America, saying, 'Everybody else says this movie is so great.  I need to go see it to see why it's so great.'"

Is there an actual agenda at work here?

Authors Alan Sears and Craig Osten, in a book called The Homosexual Agenda, warn about a complex and well-thought-out strategy to make America "gay friendly" and hostile to those who resist.     

These Christian authors quote extensively from After the Ball, a 1989 gay manifesto that laid out this agenda.

Many gays deny such an agenda exists.

Gay activist Toni Broaddus, the executive director of Equality California, asserts, “There's no secret plan or even public plan at this point."

But the authors of After the Ball  discuss in the book about a 1988 summit of gay leaders in Warrenton, Virginia, who came together to agree on the agenda.

These authors are Marshall Kirk, a reportedly brilliant researcher into the brain, and Hunter Madsen, a Harvard-trained expert in public persuasion tactics.

The two men proposed using tactics on ‘straight’ America that are remarkably similar to the brainwashing methods of Mao Tse-Tung's Communist Chinese -- mixed with Madison Avenue's most persuasive selling techniques.

The purpose of this brainwashing?

According to Kirk and Hudson, it is to use "...the very processes that made America hate us, to turn their hatred into warm regard -- whether they like it or not."

First, they proposed homosexuals and their liberal allies should desensitize heterosexuals by getting homosexuality talked about as much as possible in the straight world.

"The main thing,” the authors said, “is talk about gayness until the issue becomes thoroughly tiresome…You can forget about trying right up front to persuade folks that homosexuality is a 'good' thing.  But if you can get them to think it is just 'another' thing, meriting no more than a shrug of the shoulders -- then your battle for legal and social rights is virtually won."

Sears said, "We're talking about a demand for a behavior that not only wants to not be condemned, but to have every affirmation from every possible point that it is correct, it's good and it's approved."

Now look at the media. There is a tidal wave of gays and gay themes -- "the L word" is a show-time hit that follows the lives of a group of lesbians.

Desperate Housewives even has time for the occasional gay guy subplot.

And a flamboyant homosexual is one of the main characters in the brand-new series Emily's Reasons Why Not.

Heights, one of the most popular independent films lately, has a closet gay torturing himself over whether to marry his fiancé or go off with the man he really loves.

Happy Endings features another tortured young man who cannot be happy until he finally faces his homosexuality.

And in the latest movie section of The Washington Post are these: The Family Stone, which depicts a mom who insists she would just as soon have gay kids as straight ones; The Producers, which features a wildly homosexual Broadway director, and Capote, all about the famously gay writer.

Another point that Kirk and Madsen push is to "portray gays as victims of circumstance and oppression, not as aggressive challengers...Gays must be portrayed as victims in need of protection, so that straights will be inclined, by reflex, to assume the role of protector."

Benjamin Bull of the Alliance Defense Fund said, "Suddenly those who choose homosexual behavior...sodomy...are victims.  It's crazy!"

But have homosexuals won on getting themselves seen as a persecuted minority?

Turning to the movies, the wildly-popular Saved portrays born-again Christians as cruel homophobes trying to re-program poor, young misunderstood gays in their midst.

Trembling before God is about how Orthodox and Hasidic homosexuals are persecuted and not accepted.

The Conspiracy of Silence argues that some gay priests are hounded to death because they cannot act out their homosexuality.     

And the list of gay-centered, gay-sympathetic shows goes on and on...closeted Canadian homosexuals in Touch of Pink, and closeted Asian lesbians in Saving Face.

And the good, kind, understanding homosexual next door has been seen in so many movies and TV series, that he has become somewhat of a cliché’.

These days, some 30 regular homosexual characters are being beamed into your home by the major networks every week.

As Kirk and Madsen put it, "The average American watches over seven hours of TV daily.  Those hours open up a gateway into the private world of straights, through which a Trojan Horse might be passed."
And speaking of horses -- like it or not -- the gay cowboys of Brokeback Mountain are playing to big crowds in a theater near you right now.

-----------------------

Ennis would say --- "If you cant fix it, you've got to stand it"  I am glad that BBM is out - propaganda or not. BBM is here to stay. Only homophobic person could write something like this.

Offline manila_rocks

• Lureen
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Christian Broadcasting Network can be outright frightening.   I certainly am not surprised by their take on the movie.    However, male-male sexual/emotional encounters such as those displayed in Brokeback have been common since the dawn of time.    Their point about desensitization of the population is interesting and true to a point.  Anytime something becomes mainstream this will happen.

• Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2006, 11:54 AM »
Christian Broadcasting Network can be outright frightening.   I certainly am not surprised by their take on the movie.    However, male-male sexual/emotional encounters such as those displayed in Brokeback have been common since the dawn of time.    Their point about desensitization of the population is interesting and true to a point.  Anytime something becomes mainstream this will happen.

You are right. I am not surprised and tired of reacting to such criticism. With all due respect to religion, I find this kind of commentary troubling.

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:39 PM »
The Australian

Soaked Ledger may lay charges

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17829519%255E1702,00.html

January 15, 2006
THREE paparazzi photographers will be banished from the red carpet after spraying movie star Heath Ledger with water pistols, while the star considers laying assault charges.

Film distributor Roadshow said photographers Peter Carrette, Pierre Smithdorf and Guy Finlay would not be invited back to cover celebrity film events, Fairfax newspapers reported today.

The photographers targeted Ledger for a soaking as the Hollywood heart-throb arrived at Fox Studios in Sydney on Friday for the Sydney premiere of his new film, Brokeback Mountain.

They claimed it was retaliation after Ledger allegedly spat at them during a previous confrontation.

"In terms of banning them, we would certainly never give them official accreditation again," Roadshow managing director Joel Pearlman told the Fairfax press.

"It was sad to see such a silly and implausible act mar a premiere which was also a public event. It was just incredibly unfair and extremely disappointing."

Ledger was considering laying assault charges, saying he was left "shaken up, stunned and furious", News Limited reported.

"Heath wants to file assault charges," News Limited quoted a Roadshow Films spokesperson as saying.

"He wants to call the police and get them involved. He's totally shaken up by it."

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:59 PM »
The New York Times had a whole section on Oscar coverage today and can you guess which movie was featured in an article about screenwriting?
I don't have the article with me, but the bulk of it was an excerpt from the screenplay of when Ennis has just returned from his night at the motel with Jack to tell a rattled Alma that they'd be going on a fishing trip the next day. The screenplay seems to have been written to give the actors some room to breathe in playing their characters, with only vague guidelines on how they should be and it makes me amazed at how the actors completely nailed their roles.
Give me your hand
And take what you will tonight, I'll give it as fast
And high as the flame will rise
Cinder and smoke
Some whispers around the trees
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Globe Fever: Heath & Reese to Win? - people.com
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2006, 03:35 PM »

Critics have heaped on the praise for Brokeback Mountain, but Monday night's Golden Globe Awards will mark the home stretch for Hollywood's awards season, leading up to the March 5 Oscars.

So far, Brokeback's Heath Ledger has gathered plenty of momentum in the best-actor category, while Reese Witherspoon has similarly captivated critics' group as the real-life June Carter Cash in Walk the Line – and could have a lock on the Globe for best actress in a musical or comedy.

Then there's Felicity Huffman, who has two shots at Globe glory come Monday night: One for her Desperate Housewives role as Lynette, for which she won last year's Emmy, and another for actress in a movie drama, for her role as a transsexual in Transamerica.

As Huffman admitted to PEOPLE, the reaction to the indie movie, including the Globe nod, is "a wonderful surprise. I thought my mom would watch (the movie), and that would be about it."

Also slated for heavy camera time Monday is Globe triple nominee George Clooney, who's up for directing and co-writing the McCarthy-era drama Good Night, and Good Luck, about pioneering newscaster Edward R. Murrow, as well as for his supporting role in Syriana.

The Globe nominations also signal a comeback for Woody Allen, whose Match Point, starring the nominated Scarlett Johansson, is considered the filmmaker's best effort in more than a decade. Allen's film earned him a director nomination and a nod for best drama, alongside The Constant Gardener, Good Night, and Good Luck, A History of Violence and Brokeback Mountain, which garnered seven nominations in all.

Given that the Globes have a separate best-picture category for musical or comedy films, those nominees are Mrs. Henderson Presents, Pride & Prejudice, The Producers, The Squid and the Whale and Walk the Line.

In the TV category, the entire cast of Housewives made the cut – save for Nicollette Sheridan. But Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, Eva Longoria and Huffman were all nominated. The only non-Housewife in the race to win best actress in a comedy series is Mary-Louise Parker, for Showtime's Weeds.

Said Longoria to PEOPLE: "I am most honored to be competing with my castmates. I hope one of us wins!"

The Globes will be presented live on NBC at 8 p.m. ET. (Red-carpet coverage kicks off on the E! network at 6 p.m. ET.)
[/color]
Here's a rundown of the top categories:

Best Motion Picture, Drama
• Brokeback Mountain
• The Constant Gardener
• Good Night, and Good Luck
• A History of Violence
• Match Point

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

• Mrs. Henderson Presents
• Pride and Prejudice
• The Producers
• The Squid and the Whale
• Walk the Line

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
• Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
• Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man
• Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
• David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck
• Terrence Howard, Hustle and Flow

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

• Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
• Maria Bello, A History of Violence
• Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof
• Charlize Theron, North Country
• Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
• Nathan Lane, The Producers
• Pierce Brosnan, The Matador
• Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
• Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
• Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto
• Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
• Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
• Keira Knightley, Pride and Prejudice
• Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
• Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone
• Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

Best Director, Motion Picture
• Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
• Fernando Meirelles The Constant Gardener
• George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck
• Peter Jackson, King Kong
• Woody Allen, Match Point
• Steven Spielberg, Munich

Best Television Series, Drama
• Commander in Chief
• Grey's Anatomy
• Lost
• Prison Break
• Rome

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Drama
• Patricia Arquette, Medium
• Glenn Close, The Shield
• Geena Davis, Commander in Chief
• Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
• Polly Walker, Rome

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Drama
• Hugh Laurie, House
• Patrick Dempsey, Grey's Anatomy
• Matthew Fox, Lost
• Wentworth Miller, Prison Break
• Kiefer Sutherland, 24

Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy

• Curb Your Enthusiasm
• Desperate Housewives
• Entourage
• Everybody Hates Chris
• My Name Is Earl
• Weeds

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy
• Marcia Cross, Desperate Housewives
• Teri Hatcher, Desperate Housewives
• Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
• Eva Longoria, Desperate Housewives
• Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy

• Zach Braff, Scrubs
• Steve Carell, The Office
• Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
• Jason Lee, My Name Is Earl
• Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline jimnick

• Jack
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I just have to say that from what I can see Heath Ledger has far better things to do with his spit than waste it on paparazzi.  I think Jake would agree...

Jim

greenfrog

« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2006, 07:21 PM »
I just have to say that from what I can see Heath Ledger has far better things to do with his spit than waste it on paparazzi.  I think Jake would agree...

Jim

hehehehe ... very true. Especially the last line.  :-*