Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Critics Choice Awards .... Best Film!!!!!  (Read 6753 times)

greenfrog

Ang Lee also got best director.

Wahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D ;D

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
Re: Brokeback Mountain Critics Choice Awards .... Best Film!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:31 AM »
By Arthur Spiegelman
SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) - Gay cowboy movie "Brokeback Mountain," the favorite in the Oscars race, roped in three Critics' Choice Awards on Monday, while darkhorse "Crash" showed unexpected strength -- a sign perhaps of the fight to come.

The nation's broadcast film critics voted "Brokeback" its best picture at its 11th annual Critics' Choice Awards and also named the film's creator, Taiwanese-born Ang Lee, as the year's best director. Michelle Williams, who plays an emotionally ignored wife in the movie, tied for best supporting actress with Amy Adams of "Junebug."

But "Crash," a tale of endemic racism in America, took two major awards, an indication that this may be the film that could challenge Ang Lee's drama of forbidden love between two married men on the road to the March 5 Oscars.

"Brokeback Mountain" was nominated for eight Critics' Choice Awards, followed by "Crash" with six. Some Oscar pundits are insisting that "Brokeback's" theme of homosexual love will ultimately be rejected by mainstream Oscar voters.

Director Lee and producer Diana Ossama insisted that the movie's theme was about loneliness and the different paths love can take. "We trusted the tale and it led us to where it wanted to go ... we are getting a better reception than we thought," Lee told reporters after the awards.

The lead acting prizes honored portrayals of historical characters. Philip Seymour Hoffman was named best actor for portraying novelist Truman Capote in "Capote," while Reese Witherspoon was cited for her role as country music matriarch June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line."

Other key winners included Paul Giamatti for his supporting role as boxing trainer in "Cinderella Man," a film whose Oscar chances have been handicapped by poor box office and star Russell Crowe's misdemeanor conviction for throwing a telephone at a hotel clerk.

Giamatti went to great pains to tell reporters that acting with Crowe was one of the joys of his life.

"We were like one," he said.

"Brokeback Mountain," which has been a box office hit playing in limited release across the country, has already been named best picture by the New York and Los Angeles film critics organizations. It goes into the Golden Globe Awards next Monday with a leading seven nominations.

Academy Award nominations will be announced on January 31. 

The Critics' Choice Awards was organized by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, which bills itself as the largest such group in North America, with 200 members from the television, radio and online worlds.

Up until last year, the Critics' Choice had an enviable record of picking eventual Oscar winners: its last five best picture winners went on to take the top prize at the Academy Awards, as did eight of the last nine directors. But last year, voters chose "Sideways" for best picture, and Martin Scorsese for director, while the Oscar went with "Million Dollar Baby" and its director, Clint Eastwood.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-01-10T060049Z_01_KWA012642_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-CRITICS.xml
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:01 PM »
I'm angry that George Clooney did not mention BBM in his speech.  His award would have been a great forum for him just to mention the title BBM.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:04 PM »
By Arthur Spiegelman
SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) - Gay cowboy movie "Brokeback Mountain," the favorite in the Oscars race, roped in three Critics' Choice Awards on Monday, while darkhorse "Crash" showed unexpected strength -- a sign perhaps of the fight to come.

The nation's broadcast film critics voted "Brokeback" its best picture at its 11th annual Critics' Choice Awards and also named the film's creator, Taiwanese-born Ang Lee, as the year's best director. Michelle Williams, who plays an emotionally ignored wife in the movie, tied for best supporting actress with Amy Adams of "Junebug."

But "Crash," a tale of endemic racism in America, took two major awards, an indication that this may be the film that could challenge Ang Lee's drama of forbidden love between two married men on the road to the March 5 Oscars.

"Brokeback Mountain" was nominated for eight Critics' Choice Awards, followed by "Crash" with six. Some Oscar pundits are insisting that "Brokeback's" theme of homosexual love will ultimately be rejected by mainstream Oscar voters.

Director Lee and producer Diana Ossama insisted that the movie's theme was about loneliness and the different paths love can take. "We trusted the tale and it led us to where it wanted to go ... we are getting a better reception than we thought," Lee told reporters after the awards.

The lead acting prizes honored portrayals of historical characters. Philip Seymour Hoffman was named best actor for portraying novelist Truman Capote in "Capote," while Reese Witherspoon was cited for her role as country music matriarch June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line."

Other key winners included Paul Giamatti for his supporting role as boxing trainer in "Cinderella Man," a film whose Oscar chances have been handicapped by poor box office and star Russell Crowe's misdemeanor conviction for throwing a telephone at a hotel clerk.

Giamatti went to great pains to tell reporters that acting with Crowe was one of the joys of his life.

"We were like one," he said.

"Brokeback Mountain," which has been a box office hit playing in limited release across the country, has already been named best picture by the New York and Los Angeles film critics organizations. It goes into the Golden Globe Awards next Monday with a leading seven nominations.

Academy Award nominations will be announced on January 31. 

The Critics' Choice Awards was organized by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, which bills itself as the largest such group in North America, with 200 members from the television, radio and online worlds.

Up until last year, the Critics' Choice had an enviable record of picking eventual Oscar winners: its last five best picture winners went on to take the top prize at the Academy Awards, as did eight of the last nine directors. But last year, voters chose "Sideways" for best picture, and Martin Scorsese for director, while the Oscar went with "Million Dollar Baby" and its director, Clint Eastwood.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-01-10T060049Z_01_KWA012642_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-CRITICS.xml

The Clint pick last year makes sense as it is Hollywood (Sideways was the better movie
IMHO), but I think this year it's BBM all the way!  Woo Hoo
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:08 PM »
I'm angry that George Clooney did not mention BBM in his speech.  His award would have been a great forum for him just to mention the title BBM.

Well I am proud of George though, Good Night is a great movie and he put up his own money for it.  IF it weren't for BBM it would be my favorite film this year, plus remember he might lose out in the supporting actor oscar to Jake.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:29 PM »

Well I am proud of George though, Good Night is a great movie and he put up his own money for it.  IF it weren't for BBM it would be my favorite film this year, plus remember he might lose out in the supporting actor oscar to Jake.

I just feel that the audience for the show was not overwhelmed by BBM and makes me worried about its Oscar chances.  Considering what that award stood for, BBM should have had at least a mention.

• Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:27 PM »

What did George receive and why would he mention BBM? I am curious. Could someone clarify for me? Thanks!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:34 PM »

What did George receive and why would he mention BBM? I am curious. Could someone clarify for me? Thanks!

He won a Freedom award..presented by Julia Roberts..dunno why he should have mentionned BBM, it is in competition with his movie!!! But when he was being interviewed by E!, the protestors were noisy and he talked about it with that Juliana Dependi (not sure about spelling)!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline ChefStevo

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Hello Fellow BBM'ers:
I watched the show last night and I also felt the same way!!!  I know it's great that it got best picture and Director.....but I was very DISAPPOINTED!!!  not only with how the awards went, and I hope no one gets offended....but the speeches from the director and the producer.....I felt they were not prepared.  I felt with all the awards that it has won they would have been better prepared. By now they know how the media, and award shows feel about this movie.. (thats just my thinking)....when I watched Diana Osama (sp?) I felt she rambled!  I love this MOVIE sooooo much and have now seen it 5 times since it was released.....and I feel let down that it did so bad at this show.....and I am wondering is the way it will go?  I SURE HOPE NOT....cause I want it to kick butt at the Oscars!!!  So again I hope I have not offended any BBm addicts like myself....but I wanted to say something about the show I saw last night.....
Take care,
Steven
Los Angeles, CA

• Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Hello Fellow BBM'ers:
I watched the show last night and I also felt the same way!!!  I know it's great that it got best picture and Director.....but I was very DISAPPOINTED!!!  not only with how the awards went, and I hope no one gets offended....but the speeches from the director and the producer.....I felt they were not prepared.  I felt with all the awards that it has won they would have been better prepared. By now they know how the media, and award shows feel about this movie.. (thats just my thinking)....when I watched Diana Osama (sp?) I felt she rambled!  I love this MOVIE sooooo much and have now seen it 5 times since it was released.....and I feel let down that it did so bad at this show.....and I am wondering is the way it will go?  I SURE HOPE NOT....cause I want it to kick butt at the Oscars!!!  So again I hope I have not offended any BBm addicts like myself....but I wanted to say something about the show I saw last night.....
Take care,
Steven
Los Angeles, CA

Steven, thanks for sharing your view with the forum. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to watch the award. It does sound like a disappointment. I am looking forward to the Globes and see what they will have to say.

Cheers!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:19 PM »
and I hope no one gets offended....but the speeches from the director and the producer.....I felt they were not prepared. 

Not prepared for sure.  They were not expecting such a buzz for a ''small film''.

Small is beautiful, isn't?  :D

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Hello Fellow BBM'ers:
Take care,
Steven
Los Angeles, CA

I'm a BBM addict and was not offended by your post...it's your POV and like a good fan that you are, you have high expectations. It's true that they seemed ill-prepared, but maybe because it was the 1st big award show...by the time they collect "BEST PICTURE" at the Oscars they'll hit perfection!!! ;D
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

• Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I'm a BBM addict and was not offended by your post...it's your POV and like a good fan that you are, you have high expectations. It's true that they seemed ill-prepared, but maybe because it was the 1st big award show...by the time they collect "BEST PICTURE" at the Oscars they'll hit perfection!!! ;D

I feel the same way as froggy. Yes. I am looking for that day.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:15 AM »
I thought the atmosphere was very laid back. I mean, it was on the WB!!Everyone in attendance gave the impression that this event was lackluster--not really dressing up or whatever. Maybe the attendees were just going through the motions to get some press--not taking this award show too seriously. I really do not know. But I do know it was great publicity to have a few BBM protesters!! I thought our BBM producer and director were humbled and sincere if a little nonchalant..they don't have a lot of practice accepting awards...but they WILL SOON!
thanks
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:53 PM »

He won a Freedom award..presented by Julia Roberts..dunno why he should have mentionned BBM, it is in competition with his movie!!! But when he was being interviewed by E!, the protestors were noisy and he talked about it with that Juliana Dependi (not sure about spelling)!

I would guess that the Award was for 'artistic freedom' and being able to take a chance on creating something than took a chance.  He mentioned CRASH, CONSTANT GARDENER and MUNICH which is fine, but BBM took more chances and succeeded.  I know he was under no obligation to mention BBM, but it would have been nice and would have proven a point in regards to the Award.  It was just an observation by me.  The whole show was clumsy and awkward to me anyway: I only watched it because of BBM. 

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:08 PM »
I didn't realize he mentioned all those other movies, well there may be a tad bit of threat there, he had this break out year with his acting in Syriana and his directing in Good Night, and on some level he knows BBM is overshadowing it all.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"