Author Topic: BBM released tomorrow in The Netherlands  (Read 12237 times)

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
BBM released tomorrow in The Netherlands
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:42 PM »
BBM opens up tomorrow in Holland. I'm currious how the movie will do here since Holland is one of the most open minded countries (we where the first country that allowed gay marriage). Because of that maybe ppl think the movie isn't that special.. but then again alot of ppl may gonna see it because we are so open minded.. hmmm  ::)

Well.. I try to keep you up to date with reviews and box office results

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM released tomorrow in The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Wonderful! Thanks and do let us know how it goes.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:02 PM »

Please do, and also about your viewing experience1

Thanks
Froggy
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:30 PM »

Please do, and also about your viewing experience1

Thanks
Froggy

Hehe I don't think I'm gonna see it in the theatre. I already saw the movie a few times times :) I just wait for the DVD release I think  ::)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:46 PM »
Hehe I don't think I'm gonna see it in the theatre. I already saw the movie a few times times :) I just wait for the DVD release I think  ::)

Why not? Where did you see the movie?
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:26 PM »

Why not? Where did you see the movie?

"Why not?": Well my friends don't like drama movies (not because it's about gay cowboys lol).. they only like horror and thrillers. I'm not feeling like going alone. Besides that I already saw it like 5 times. Gonna wait till the DVD comes out and hope there are alot of extra's on it.

"Where did you see the movie?": I have my sources ;)

Today I saw 5 reviews in various news papers. 3 papers gave it 5/5 stars and 2 4/5. not bad  ;D

The movie isn't promoted alot. I saw 3 posters hanging in the city where I work (that's not alot). But the media and news papers have written/talked alot about BBM.. so that's good :) . In 1 paper I also read that the movie was only released in 27 theaters.. so I don't expect it will enter at number 1 at the box office here.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2006, 01:33 PM by jasonx »

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I have my sources ;)

Today I saw 5 reviews in various news papers. 3 papers gave it 5/5 stars and 2 4/5. not bad  ;D

The movie isn't promoted alot. I saw 3 posters hanging in the city where I work (that's not alot). But the media and news papers have written/talked alot about BBM.. so that's good :) . In 1 paper I also read that the movie was only released in 27 theaters.. so I don't expect it will enter at number 1 at the box office here.

That's a start!!

Thankx for the info, keep is posted!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Yesterday I went out with some friends (in Utrecht) and I saw a few billboards with BBM hanging at the bus station. I made a picture of one of them  :)

You can view it here:
http://saalberg.com/bbm/bbmadvert.jpg

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Yesterday I went out with some friends (in Utrecht) and I saw a few billboards with BBM hanging at the bus station. I made a picture of one of them  :)

You can view it here:
http://saalberg.com/bbm/bbmadvert.jpg

I'll post it in the thread about "BBM Photo Album from Members"! Thankx

HERE

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:28 PM »
BBM debuted at #4 last week in the Dutch Box Office (Big Momma's House entered at number 1  :-X ). not bad since it's only shown in 22 theaters.

I couldn't resist to go watch it again in the theaters also. I went today... was really great to see it on the big screen with alot of ppl. 'm glad I went  ;D

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:32 PM »
You never know Jasonx if more dutch people go see this we may see a few more here at ennisjack.com

Tom
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:45 PM »
BBM debuted at #4 last week in the Dutch Box Office (Big Momma's House entered at number 1  :-X ). not bad since it's only shown in 22 theaters.

I couldn't resist to go watch it again in the theaters also. I went today... was really great to see it on the big screen with alot of ppl. 'm glad I went  ;D

hahahaha! I knew you would go see it!!! ;)

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Hmmm in one newspaper it said it debuted at number 4... in another newspaper and on a dutch movie review website (http://filmfocus.nl/) it said it debuted at #3   ;D
I say #3 is the correct one  :)

edit:
For the ones who are interested, here's a dutch video review.

Little summary: The reviewer talks about how narrow minded some american ppl still are. After seeing the movie the reviewer wasn't very impressed with the movie but after a short while he thought the movie was pretty good and Ang Lee directed this one perfectly.

sorry for the bad english lol

The dutch video review can be found here http://filmfocus.nl/trailers/popup.php?id=1625&speed=1&PHPSESSID=92ea06802d0c63879429ab66e0ce418d
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2006, 12:38 PM by jasonx »

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2006, 08:59 PM »
After almost 6 weeks BBM is still in the top 3 here in the Netherlands.

1. Inside Man
2. Date Movie
3. Brokeback Mountain

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2006, 09:13 PM »
After almost 6 weeks BBM is still in the top 3 here in the Netherlands.

1. Inside Man
2. Date Movie
3. Brokeback Mountain

That is wonderful. Thanks for updating, jasonx. BBM is gradually leaving the US.  :'(

JackyTwist

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I went to see L&OD again today. Stood in front of the cinema and found this poster in the window! http://www.nighttours.eu/agenda/front/3955.jpg So there was a screening of BBM last year, and I missed it  ^*)

There seems to be a gay night every first Wednesday... Used to show old classics, but as of this January they screen previews of new special movies which will arrive later this year.

Maybe I should check it out?

Offline Dangerina

• Alma
  • Truly, madly, deeply...
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:02 AM »
I wonder what made them put BBM poster in-between all those gay posters  :m} :m} :m}
Life is ours, we live it our way.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:28 AM »
I wonder what made them put BBM poster in-between all those gay posters  :m} :m} :m}

:s) You really got PBS bad, don't you? I don't see a problem with the poster among all these other gay movie posters. In fact, I think it is serendipity that the next poster is Bubble-a great movie, and a great tragedy, like Brokeback Mountain when true love cannot exist in the society where they live. I cannot make out the other movies in the poster but I don't mind if they are not as good as Brokeback Mountain or Bubble. Not many gay-themed movies are that good, and we can't expect the sponsors to pay big sums of money for all the best gay movies. However, from a business perspective, it's probably better to find the money to show, say, the top 15 movies voted on afterelton.com, than to show mediocre ones-not that any of the ones in the pic is mediocre. As I said, I could only make out the names of two of my favorite movies...of all time...gay-themed or not.  :c)
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline Dangerina

• Alma
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:51 AM »
 :clap:
I just mean I don't think BBM is a gay movie as it is. As far as I know gay movies (or at least the ones I watched) - their directors badly want to show gays as perverts, drug addicts, promiscous whores usually artists having numerous lovers at a time, transsexuals, or transvestites - not normal people as they really are. Ever 'Queer as Folk' shows gays as absolutely promiscuous perverts crazy about sex and nothing else. These movies are aimed at making straight people vomit looking at the life of queers.
BBM is the only movie I've seen that makes people think positively of gays in general, coz it doesn't emphasize queerness, but LOVE.
I hope you got my idea.

Offline brokebacksoul

• Jack + Ennis
  • All beauty is sad. (Ophelias Dream)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:29 AM »
:s) You really got PBS bad, don't you? I don't see a problem with the poster among all these other gay movie posters. In fact, I think it is serendipity that the next poster is Bubble-a great movie, and a great tragedy, like Brokeback Mountain when true love cannot exist in the society where they live. I cannot make out the other movies in the poster but I don't mind if they are not as good as Brokeback Mountain or Bubble. Not many gay-themed movies are that good, and we can't expect the sponsors to pay big sums of money for all the best gay movies. However, from a business perspective, it's probably better to find the money to show, say, the top 15 movies voted on afterelton.com, than to show mediocre ones-not that any of the ones in the pic is mediocre. As I said, I could only make out the names of two of my favorite movies...of all time...gay-themed or not.  :c)

Same here ::) Probably not the first time I'm saying that  ???  But I never saw the poster of The Bubble before. What makes me thought-provoking is that the poster doesn't apply to the movie theme .. of course the movie is (also) about love, sex, relationships among these young people and there are humorous scenes but the poster seems misleading to me, it doesn't raise the subject which has also a very political aspect. I would rather expect another kind of movie, in case I wouldn't know it.

@Dangerina: I think I don't know gay movies enough yet to be able to relate to what you said. Sad if it's really the way you describe here. What I know is that some people like comedies ... let's say ...  kidding with gayness. Definitely not my kind of movie, not even before BBM. But as a result some people took gayness in their stride after they watched these plain films or even began to appriciate ... . As long as just a few of them are prepared to go some steps further and become more open-minded after watching these films, there's a good side to it. Just saying :s) ...
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011, 06:53 AM by brokebacksoul »
You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness. (Gotye)

Offline Dangerina

• Alma
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:35 AM »
The problem is that people (at least here in Russia) DO think gays care only about sex and nothing more - judging by gay clubs and films like QAF...  :_(