Author Topic: Ledger, Gyllenhaal Unforgettable in Brokeback Mountain: Film Review  (Read 7063 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=4701

By Peter Kreysa
January 9, 2006

This revolutionary love story is destined to become a Hollywood classic.

Brokeback Mountain is Ang Lee’s heart-wrenching epic film about the 20-year love story of two young cowboys who meet one summer while herding sheep in the vast and beautiful wilderness of Wyoming’s high-back country.

Prisoners of their time and place, Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twiss (Jake Gyllenhaal) struggle valiantly – but futilely – to fulfill society’s, and their own, expectations of heterosexual marriage, but ultimately find themselves irresistibly drawn back to one another, compelled by their burning passion and inexplicable desires.

The story begins in 1963 with the two young men joining forces outside a trailer waiting to hear from rancher Joe Aguirre (Randy Quaid) about a job herding sheep on remote Brokeback Mountain. One evening, after rounds of drinks, the two fall asleep and huddle inside their tent for warmth. Soon after, their passions burst into a furious sexual encounter that will unite, bewilder, and torment them the rest of their lives: “I’m not queer,” Ennis claims. “Me neither,” says Jack.

The story follows their summer spent camping in the rough – riding, hunting, cooking, and sharing conversation about their lives. The turning point in the film occurs when, under the threat of an early blizzard, the two men are called back to town and separate apparently forever, with Ennis to marry a girl back home. As Jack drives away in his pickup, each grieves silently for the seemingly ended relationship. You can feel the audience cry out for Jack to turn back and seize the moment, but neither of them can imagine what would happen if they tried to forge a partnership.

Each man pursues marriage, children, and jobs, but inevitably they join again and again over the years, unable to control their haunting attraction and yearning for each other. Their much-anticipated reunions are complicated by the heavy obligations thrust upon them by their circumstances. But because they find each other so compellingly irresistible they are continually drawn to their meetings, strengthening their love with each encounter.

This melancholy story is enhanced by the magnificent and breathtaking visual images of Wyoming’s snowcapped mountains, bubbling streams, and majestic landscapes. Rodrigo Prieto’s spectacular cinematography successfully makes Wyoming itself an integral character in the movie (although much of the filming actually took place in Alberta). The awe-inspiring vistas and poignant vignettes are punctuated by simple music that perfectly compliments the film.

Ledger and Gyllenhaal give artful and persuasive performances assuring them Academy Award nominations. Their powerful and stunning portrayals justify the recent significant recognitions they have received from the Golden Globes and SAG. The Australian-born Ledger has undoubtedly earned the noteworthy accolades of dramatic achievement reserved most-exclusively for history’s great actors – no less than Brando, De Niro, or Olivier, to name a few. To be sure, Heath Ledger’s astonishing portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain will be praised and celebrated as brilliant and memorable for generations to come.

Both Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway, as the wives, portray their characters in a way that makes each seem so real that you cannot help but feel the ripple effects of the horrendous internal struggle that Ennis and Jack suffer. Williams’ anguished Alma ably portrays the pathos of a young woman trapped in wretched poverty and an increasingly loveless marriage. Hathaway’s dutiful Laureen buries herself obediently in work to hide from her unhappiness and please her rigid father. Each provides an outstanding and convincing performance.

The film is based on E. Annie Proulx’s 1997 New Yorker short story. The screenplay is by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Director Lee’s films include “Hulk” (2003), “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000), and “Sense and Sensibility” (1995). Ang Lee has hit a bull’s eye with Brokeback Mountain, making it a landmark masterpiece that is destined to influence filmmaking for decades.

Brokeback Mountain is genius and triumphant in its heartbreaking portrayal of two young men tormented by a Tantalus-like love they feel for each other at a time when societal norms keep them from taking the risks necessary to couple.

Brokeback Mountain will be long-regarded as one of the greatest love stories in film history.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

greenfrog

*Sobs*  :'(

I just want give them a hug!  :'(

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
*Sobs*  :'(

I just want give them a hug!  :'(

Don't you just... ;D

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Quote from: greenfrog on Today at 06:28:32pm
*Sobs* 

I just want give them a hug! 

Don't you just...

OK about  ;D, but *sobs* big time.  I take Ennis? I feel PBS coming.... :'(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
This is a great review.  I'm getting teary-eyed just reading it.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

greenfrog

*Sobs* 

Don't you just...

Alright ... I take Jack  :-*

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Good for me I take Ennis!   ;D
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Apollonos

• Lureen
I hope you two will share. I think there are a lot of us that would like to give both of them a big ole hug!

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
Just saw Capote. You want to see it before Monday night's Golden Globe awards. Hoffman is exceptional. He maintains his incredible impersonation of Truman all the way to the end. It is the end of the film when we see glimpses of Truman as a real person, not some vain, selfish celebrity trying to outdo himself and everyone else. Its a great performance, but it does not go to the same spiritual and emotional places that Ennis and Jack take us throughout BBM. (You could say the same thing comparing the films, too). Good luck Heath...
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

skallywalla

Just saw Capote. You want to see it before Monday night's Golden Globe awards. Hoffman is exceptional. He maintains his incredible impersonation of Truman all the way to the end. It is the end of the film when we see glimpses of Truman as a real person, not some vain, selfish celebrity trying to outdo himself and everyone else. Its a great performance, but it does not go to the same spiritual and emotional places that Ennis and Jack take us throughout BBM. (You could say the same thing comparing the films, too). Good luck Heath...

Bah, bah, bah.  Philip Seymour Hoffman is totally going to take home the Oscar...just look at oscarwatch.com and you'll see.  :-/  also, he's had a history of being adored by critics but snubbed come awards time and so they'll finally give him his due.  Too bad, since Heath Ledger gave a once-in-a-lifetime performance, but maybe he'll go on to establish himself in the coming years and then he'll win a "we should've given this to you before but couldn't" Oscar like Russell Crowe did for Gladiator cause he should've won for The Insider but they had to give it to Kevin Spacey for American Beauty. 

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"

Bah, bah, bah.  Philip Seymour Hoffman is totally going to take home the Oscar...just look at oscarwatch.com and you'll see.  :-/  also, he's had a history of being adored by critics but snubbed come awards time and so they'll finally give him his due.  Too bad, since Heath Ledger gave a once-in-a-lifetime performance, but maybe he'll go on to establish himself in the coming years and then he'll win a "we should've given this to you before but couldn't" Oscar like Russell Crowe did for Gladiator cause he should've won for The Insider but they had to give it to Kevin Spacey for American Beauty. 

You may be right, but remember the Oscars have a build up and a campaign.  And anything can happen, for instance remembre when Shakespeare in Love won (beat saving Private Ryan) apparenlty they did a big campaign. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline tallasnnyc

• Alma Jr.
Agree, I watched "Shakespeare in Love" on DVD and could not even stand the half of it. What do you think any straight man will write anything called "Mid-Summer night's Dream"?

Offline jimnick

• Jack
*Sobs* 

Don't you just...

GET IN LINE!!!!!

Jim

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
*Sobs* 

Don't you just...

GET IN LINE!!!!!

Jim

same here!!  :'(  :'(
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Quote from: jimnick on Today at 10:32:00pm
Quote from: greenfrog on Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
Quote from: chameau on Jan 10, 2006, 07:07 PM
*Sobs* 

Don't you just...

OK about  , but *sobs* big time.  I take Ennis? I feel PBS coming....

Alright ... I take Jack 

GET IN LINE!!!!!

Jim

same here!!   

I'M IN LINE..for Ennis!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
Quote from: jimnick on Today at 10:32:00pm
Quote from: greenfrog on Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
Quote from: chameau on Jan 10, 2006, 07:07 PM
*Sobs* 

Don't you just...

OK about  , but *sobs* big time.  I take Ennis? I feel PBS coming....

Alright ... I take Jack 

GET IN LINE!!!!!

Jim

same here!!   

I'M IN LINE..for Ennis!

Nahhahhh darlin' Ennis is mine, and I'll share if you say the magic word! ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Please?

S'il-te-plaît?

Per favore?

Por favor?

Bite?

PLEASE!!!

:-* :-* :-*
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Khal

• Cassie
Please?

S'il-te-plaît?

Per favore?

Por favor?

Bite?

PLEASE!!!

I think you mean "Bitte" (German for "please")? 'Cos "bite" is French for "c*ck".
 ;D

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
Please?

S'il-te-plaît?

Per favore?

Por favor?

Bite?

PLEASE!!!

No it's abracadabra...your loss!! :P

I think you mean "Bitte" (German for "please")? 'Cos "bite" is French for "c**k".
 ;D

hahahaha  ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: chameau on Yesterday at 07:12:27pm
Please?

S'il-te-plaît?

Per favore?

Por favor?

Bite?

PLEASE!!!

No it's abracadabra...your loss!!

Quote from: Khal on Today at 11:55:15am
I think you mean "Bitte" (German for "please")? 'Cos "bite" is French for "c**k".

hahahaha 

I had the feeling when I posted this I was messing something...  Should have looked first in My German/French dictionary.   ::)

;D
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jimnick

• Jack
Well... how apropos!

Jim

Offline Badarsila

• ~BeRaDu_Di_KhAyALaN~
  • Alma Jr.
  • ~BaDaRsILa_In_Da_HoUsE~
Such high praises for BBM,.. :)
I'm moved to tears reading it,.. :'(

Deffinately gona watch this movie soon,..just counting the days for it to be out in Singapore,.. 8)
"Oh Mortals, What is Love that binds beyond Life on Earth? To all Corners in a Pair we fly, Braving Summer and Winter by and by, Union is Bliss: Parting is Woe! Agony is Boundless for a Lovelorn Soul! Sweetheart, give me word..Trails of Clouds drifting foward..Amid Mountains capped with Snow, Wither shall my lonesome Shadow go?"