Author Topic: Is Oscar ready for Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
Is Oscar ready for Brokeback Mountain?
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Is Oscar ready for Brokeback Mountain?

Article from Advocate

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid23415.asp
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: Is Oscar ready for Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Well this year with Capote...BBM...and Transamerica...Oscar ought to be ready  ;)...if not now when? ???
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005, 05:20 PM by frog123 »
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
Will Brokeback Mountain Finish First? (Businessweek)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:50 AM »
January 10, 2006

By Ronald Grover

Will Brokeback Mountain Finish First?

The cowboy romance may be the obvious choice for the Best Picture Oscar, but hold your horses. Other films are more deserving

It's award season in Hollywood. Every set of initials in town -- SAG, the DGA, the PGA (that's the Producers Guild of America, not the Professional Golfers Assn.) is issuing its list of nominations for best film of 2005. Of course, these are just the preliminaries for the big Kahuna, the Oscars.

And every one of the groups seems to be saying the same thing: Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee's beautifully shot and socially significant story of love between a pair of cowboys, has all but got the Oscar for Best Picture locked up.

SOCIAL CORRECTNESS  I say, slow down folks. Frankly, Brokeback Mountain, which has been hyped aplenty by just about every movie critic in the business, is simply not this year's best picture. Please understand: I don't dispute for one minute the importance of the film's message: that love should be celebrated, not hidden, and that every person should be free to love whomever they want.

But just because a film contains a crucial social message, it's not axiomatic that the message has been delivered by a great film. Academy voters should sit back, take stock of their craft, and not get carried away by the undertow of social correctness.

Still, those cowboys at Focus Films, which produced Brokeback, could ride off into the sunset with the Best Picture award on Mar. 5, for no other reason than Hollywood delivered more than its share of stinkers and underachievers last year. At least one presumed Best Picture contender, Sony's (SNE) Confessions of a Geisha, was a major-league disappointment. It was a beautifully shot film that also happened to be crushingly boring. And Steven Spielberg's Munich is mired in controversy over a message that some in Hollywood see as anti-Israel and others see as murky.

UNFULFILLED POTENTIAL.  Alas, that could open the door for Brokeback Mountain, which has captured the attention of the filmmaking community mostly for Ang Lee's daring in tackling the subject matter. But this movie is no Philadelphia, the 1993 film that wasn't even nominated for a Best Picture Oscar despite a brilliant performance from Tom Hanks and a mesmerizing if downbeat story of an AIDS victim.

Brokeback Mountain lead Heath Ledger probably deserves his own award for his portrayal of a stoic Wyoming cowboy who struggles with his feelings for a fellow sheep-herder. But the film itself never matches his tremendous performance. Supporting actor Jake Gyllenhaal, who never measures up to Ledger, is a mostly moping presence throughout the film.

Moreover, Brokeback Mountain takes a great premise -- the charged attraction between two men who must hide their true feelings behind conventional marriages -- but does little to develop either man's torment. We see the two of them in a secret embrace, the crumbling of Ledger's marriage, and Gyllenhaal's inability to settle into the life of a tractor salesman. But the film never delivers on its initial premise and at times appears slow, with meetings between the two in their later years a series of solemn speeches and dog-eyed stares.

"Though it's sad and sobering, it's still a rough draft of a great movie," wrote New York Post critic Kyle Smith. That sums it up pretty well.

CINDERELLA STORY? What are better films? Crash, for starters. Director Paul Haggis delivers on the premise of racial divisiveness with a stream of moving, sometimes unnerving vignettes that leave an enduring impression long after you leave the theater. For me, Crash does what a great film should do.

Not that anyone is asking, but my favorite film from last year is Cinderella Man. It's a complete film: a beautifully made period piece about a depressed nation that rallies behind a hero who restores his own career and self-image. It has great performances from just about everyone -- Russell Crowe as boxer Jim Braddock, Renee Zellweger as his wife, Mae, and Paul Giamatti as his manager, Joe Gould.

Alas, Ron Howard's masterpiece was done in by Universal's decision to release it in June, where it was lost amid summer blockbusters. Although it has been hustled back into some theaters, it's considered a loser in many voters' minds with a less-than-heroic $61.6 million box office. (Got your own favorite film? Nominate it below in the Reader Comments.)

PREDICTABLE ENDING. So which films will get the other nominations? If you believe history -- which says no film has ever won a Best Picture Oscar unless it was also nominated for top awards first by both the PGA and the Writers Guild of America -- three others will be Crash, Capote, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, and George Clooney's Edward R. Morrow biopic, Good Night and Good Luck.

All three were among those nominated in the last few days by both groups, whose members make up large numbers of Academy voters as well.

And it doesn't hurt if you're also nominated by the Screen Actors' Guild, whose 2,100 members make up roughly one-third Academy voters. On the SAG list: Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, and Hustle and Flow, a movie about a pimp-turned-rapper that stars Terrence Howard.

LOOKING BACK.  Films that get the early Oscar buzz may not necessarily be the year's best picture, and the Academy has a history of bending to the winds of the hot film. Remember when Miramax stoked the press and voters and maneuvered its film Shakespeare in Love to the 1998 Best Picture Oscar, beating out the much more worthy Saving Private Ryan?

If the Academy wants to do the right thing, it will sit back, stick in a couple of more DVDs and take a look at Cinderella Man, Crash, and a few others before casting ballots by the Jan. 21 deadline.
---------------------------------------------------

But the film itself never matches his tremendous performance.

I am not sure what this statement means about Heath's performance. As much as I like BBM to win anything, to me it is the best pitcure already.  :D
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:58 PM »
Interesting article by a reporter covering the National Board of Review Awards on the behind the scenes competition for Oscar (he's rooting for Brokeback).

http://www.oscarwatch.com/moveabletype/archives/articles/stephen_holt/index.html#000492

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:11 PM »
HELL YES!!!  ;D
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline Jack Rance

• Cassie
STUDIO EXECS PREFER 'BROKEBACK' OVER 'MUNICH'; SPIELBERG SAID DISPLEASED

**Exclusive**

As the first wave of Oscar voting closes, a sibling rivalry between films at UNIVERSAL has turned sour.

The enthusiastic backing of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN by UNIVERSAL chief Stacey Snider has come at the expense of MUNICH, a top source involved with the Steven Spielberg drama tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Stacey and her team believe BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is their winner this year," claims a well-placed insider. "The movie has been spoiled, spoiled and spoiled again, with endless promotion and support. MUNICH, on the other hand, has been horribly neglected. Steven has been thrown in the backseat. It has been painful."

MORE

A UNIVERSAL source strongly denies a BROKEBACK preference at the studio.

UNIVERSAL President Ron Meyer is said to be MUNICH's top advocate and supporter, calling it a masterpiece.

"We are behind the movie 1000%, and strongly believe it has a great shot at winner Oscars," says the studio source.

"More money has been spent on TV advertising [for MUNICH]."

Hollywood players watched Spielberg's polite reaction as Ang Lee's controversial western won award after award Sunday evening during the nationally televised GOLDEN GLOBES.

But behind the scenes, a quiet anger has developed over the handling of MUNICH during the award season run-up.

"She says she loves all of her children equally, but Stacey [Snider] and her team have given every priority to BROKEBACK," charges the MUNICH source. "Gay romance is easier to sell to the academy than a complex study of an Israeli assassin."

MORE

Drudge has been predicting a Brokeback win from the start -hope he's right on this one

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:39 AM »
Jack Rance, thanks for posting this. Where did you get this from? Is this only exclusive here?  ;)

Anecdotally, I see Munich posters in NYC subway everywhere whereas none for BBM.  :) And BBM is indeed a better movie than Munich.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jack Rance

• Cassie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:56 AM »
The post was from DRUDGEREPORT.com
Matt Drudge always has the inside scoop on things ...

Offline Jack Rance

• Cassie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:06 AM »
iTunes  up date -Brokeback Mountain is NUMBER 1  ( audio book ) and NUMBER 2  (film score) on Today's Top Album .This is HUGE -it's still growing. No doubt there will be a Major move to pit us against the Good ole American "Walk The Line" -June and Johnny will be  the next best things  to Saints Mary and Joseph before it's over but we're still growing. I've been watching the iTunes as my own measurement and even downloaded the score and gave it a 5 before  I saw the movie opening weekend in SF. To have the score and audio book beating everyone else is a testament to the power of love as a force of nature and the truth of this great work of art.