Author Topic: BBM Happenings  (Read 38082 times)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
BBM Happenings
« on: Jul 20, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Starting this thread for items of interest such as /events/exhibits/special BBM showings/talks etc for Brokeback Mountain.They could all be posted here.

For instance where Brokeback Mountain is currently showing in cinemas around the world and BBM events with free showings often pop up.I have listed one below that is also in another thread. 

Jennis.x
(Thanks Thomas :-*)
I changed thread name to happenings as events was more like conventions etc.Is that ok?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 02:30 PM by tpe »

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Events 2006
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Movie mania showing this summer

Do you remember the movie from the 1970s called That's Entertainment showing clips from all the great movies. It was a celebration of all things good about the entertainment industry.

Well, the Adult Department of the Waukegan Public Library will be bringing you a "That's Entertainment" summer by showing some of the best movies from the past year—free of charge.

Every other Monday afternoon at 2 p.m., the library will be featuring a top-rated film from the past year for viewing and discussion. The popcorn's on us! Here's the schedule:

Aug. 28, Brokeback Mountain — Rated R — with Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams

Link to original source:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/city/5_1_wa04_sllib_s10704.htm

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 12:22 AM by Jennis »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2006, 05:43 PM »

I see this now.  Thanks Jennis!  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2006, 05:46 PM »
Made this a sticky topic.  :)

Offline dalemidex

• Alma
  • Friend that's more words than you spoke in 2 weeks
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Thank you, Jennis!!   :t)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Hmm...the link is no longer working.  :(
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2006, 10:16 PM »
Hmm...the link is no longer working.  :(

Yup!  not working  :(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Sorry,i should have checked it :-[  I have updated it and here is a direct link to the library ;)

Jennis.x

Waukegan Public Library

If you don’t want to check movies out, consider coming to the library for one of our free movie showings.

For adults: Join us every other Monday during the summer at 2 p.m. to watch one of the top movies of the past year.

August 28 at 2 p.m. Brokeback Mountain

http://wplblog.waukeganpl.org/?p=37

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Happenings 2006
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Anyone in the Salt Lake area and  interested in the music of Brokeback Mountain it will be included in this event on Monday July 31st 2006.It's a one night only fund raiser.

Jennis.x

Salt Lake
4th round of banned tunes
Friday, July 28, 2006

The Plan B Theatre Company presents its fourth annual fund-raiser celebrating the First Amendment, "And the Banned Played On," at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, 138 W. 300 South, Monday at 7 p.m. "Banned" features Kirt Bateman, Kurt Bestor, Debi Graham, Lisa Marie, Lori Rees, Chelsi Stahr, Aaron Swenson and Danny Tarasevich performing songs by Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Elton John, Cole Porter, Paul Simon, the Rolling Stones and Prince, as well as songs from "Assassins," "Brokeback Mountain" and "Big Love." The event will be hosted by Mayor Rocky Anderson and state Sen. Scott McCoy. All tickets are $30 and include a post-show reception. For more information go to www.planbtheatrecompany.org.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640197543,00.html

*More Info here*

One Night Only!July 31
Jeanne Wagner
Our 4th annual fundraiser celebrating the First Amendment. And yes, we’re focusing on banned music again this year!

http://www.planbtheatrecompany.org/2_06season/index.htm

greenfrog

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Brokeback Mountain DVD Launch Party - Australia

http://www.queerplanet.com.au/moxie/entertainment/bb/24-7-06-1.shtml

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
Re:BBM Happenings 2006*Annie Proulx Appearance* NewZealand
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2006, 03:15 PM »
It's a bit odd saying it's her latest novel as it's not?No mention of Brokeback Mountain,even odder :s)
Anyone on the board in this area?

Jennis.x

An Hour With Annie Proulx

The North Shore Libraries Foundation, Whitcoulls Takapuna and HarperCollins Publishers have great pleasure in inviting you to:

AN HOUR WITH ANNIE PROULX

THURSDAY 11 SEPTEMBER
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
BRUCE MASON CENTRE (upstairs)
cnr Hurstmere Road & The Promenade, Takapuna

As ‘hard listeners’ to Annie Proulx’s many novels, we are delighted to welcome Annie Proulx to the North Shore for this event. This is a remarkable opportunity to meet an author of such stature.

Her latest novel is a richly textured story of one man’s struggle to make good in the inhospitable ranch country of the Texas Panhandle, full of the razor-sharp wit and a masterly sense of place that fans of her work have come to expect. That Old Ace in the Hole is a rich mix of history, landscape and quixotic Texan life, and introduces us to the unforgettable figure of Bob Dollar.

Proulx’s books are remarkable for their depth and both her novels and short stories rely on extensive research: historical, geographical and sociological. Before she writes about a place she tries to read every book written about it, starting with the explorers diaries.

Annie Proulx lives in Wyoming. She spent many years as a freelance journalist writing about a wide range of subjects: everything from the weather, cooking, canoeing, mice and architecture, until becoming a published novelist at the age of 58.

She is the author of the novels Postcards, The Shipping News and Accordion Crimes, as well as the highly acclaimed short story collection Heart Songs. The Shipping News has been an enormous success worldwide, winning the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award and the Irish Times International Fiction Prize.

Tickets are $20 and are available through the Ticketek office at the Bruce Mason Centre (or any Ticketek office) or by phoning (09) 307-5000 or go to www.ticketek.com. A service charge will apply.

http://www.artscalendar.co.nz/article/396/

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2006, 07:39 AM »
Thanks Jennis.  I suspwect that Proulx wanted no talk of BBM in this announcement as she is probably trying to promote another work.  Plus, I suspect she is still currently haunted by the recent events surrounding BBM.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Thanks Jennis.  I suspwect that Proulx wanted no talk of BBM in this announcement as she is probably trying to promote another work.  Plus, I suspect she is still currently haunted by the recent events surrounding BBM.

I still find it odd.They could of mentioned Close Range at least.Anyways,it's good that some people will get the chance to meet her,or ask her questions.
J.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2006, 11:46 AM »
[I still find it odd.They could of mentioned Close Range at least.Anyways,it's good that some people will get the chance to meet her,or ask her questions.
J.x

I also suspect that she would be privately annoyed if people keep on asking her about BBM, rather than the work under discussion.  But she should approach this pragmatically.  Surely she should not think that her reputation shall be overshadowed by BBM. 

I think many stories in Close Range are fabulous. 

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2006, 02:31 PM »
More Annie.Another appearance at this book fest.

Jennis.x

Book Fest gets grant

The Casper College/ARTCORE "Equality State Book Festival," has recently received grants totaling more than $24,500 from outside funders, enhancing the college’s already strong support for the program. The festival will be held Oct. 19-21, at the college and at a number of other venues around Casper. Grants have been received from The National Endowment for the Arts, Natrona County Board of Cooperative Educational Services, Natrona County Travel and Tourism Council, Casper Area Community Foundation, and Wyoming Council for the Humanities.

The festival will include readings, signings, panel discussions, writing workshops, movie screenings, author visits to the public schools, a book fair with displays by publishers and archives, a banquet on October 19, and a late-night poetry slam. All events are free and open to the public with the exception of the workshops and banquet. Writers scheduled to appear at the Wyoming Equality State Book Festival include Annie Proulx, Linda Hasselstrom, Tim Sandlin, C.J. Box, Candy Moulton, Lori Van Pelt, and Kathleen and Michael Gear. For more information log on to www.equalitystatebookfest.com.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2006/08/13/news/community/d5859f347a680463872571c7006a19b2.tx

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Free showing: Brokeback Mountain
October 19th 2006

Start Time: 1:00 PM
End Time: 3:30 PM

Place: Iris Stadium Theater

Here's a chance to check out how Annie Proulx's great Wyoming short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted into an Oscar-winning movie by screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, and director Ang Lee. What does it say about Wyoming? What does it say about the West? Bruce Richardson, lecturer in English at the University of Wyoming/Casper College Center, will lead a lively discussion afterward. And don't miss Proulx's appearance on the "Cowboy Myths, Cowboy Realities" panel, Saturday Oct. 21 at 2 p.m. at the Nicolaysen Art Museum in Casper.

Panel: Cowboy Myths/Cowboy Realities

Start Time: 2:00 PM
End Time: 3:30 PM

Place: First United Methodist Church

Wyoming's still the cowboy state, right? What hold does the cowyboy way have on our imaginations, our mores, our politics and our future? Panelists include poet, rancher, essayist and Book Festival keynote speaker Linda Hasselstrom; Eastern Wyoming College English and Spanish teacher John Nesbitt, author of six short story collections, two contemporary western novels, and more than a dozen traditional western novels; memoirist and professional rodeo rider Abe Morris; and Annie Proulx, author of two volumes of short stories about Wyoming, Close Range and Bad Dirt, and several novels including The Shipping News, which won a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award. Close Range included the short story Brokeback Mountain, which last year was made into an Oscar-winning film.

Wyoming Poet Laureate David Romtvedt will moderate this panel.

The authors' books will be for sale at the event. The panel is free and open to the public. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.equalitystatebookfest.com/events.php

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2006, 03:59 AM »

Thanks for this information.  I think it might make a wonderful 3-day event in Casper.  It would be great to see BBM on the big sreen AND to meet Annie proulx in person!

adrian
His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2006, 01:06 PM »

Thanks for this information.  I think it might make a wonderful 3-day event in Casper.  It would be great to see BBM on the big sreen AND to meet Annie proulx in person!

adrian
Adrian,
Are you thinking of going?

Jennis.x

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Hi Jennis.x,

Hmmm, don't know.  Maybe I'll spread the word and see if there might be some interest?  I'm wondering about the theater, though.  Is it a "real" theater or a little make shift, high school gymnasium type thing?

adrian
His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Aug 26, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Hi Jennis.x,

Hmmm, don't know.  Maybe I'll spread the word and see if there might be some interest?  I'm wondering about the theater, though.  Is it a "real" theater or a little make shift, high school gymnasium type thing?

adrian
Not a theatre as far as i know.It's a uni/college where Annie will have a discussion about the story.Like a Q&A session.
Be good if you go.Would love to hear all about it.

Jennis.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:29 AM »
More Annie.Ms Proulx will be giving a lecture.Anyone in North Carolina?

Jennis.x

Event:   Conarroe Lecture - Annie Proulx
Date(s):   9/14/2006
Time:   8 p.m.
Posted By:   Bill Giduz
Details:   Annie Proulx, Pulitzer Prize winning novelist and author of the short story Brokeback Mountain will deliver a lecture.

Free, but tickets are required. 8 p.m. in Duke Family Performance Hall. Simulcast in the Smith 900 Room of the Alvarez College Union, and Lilly Family Gallery in Chambers, if necessary. Call 704-894-2135 for tickets or information

http://www2.davidson.edu/news/calendar/Calendar.asp?page=read_event&EventID=1093

greenfrog

« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2006, 04:01 AM »
I wonder if anybody is going to that.

Sounds good.

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2006, 03:47 AM »

adrian
Adrian,

Jennis.x

Yes, I will probably go.  I called the owner of the Iris Stadium Theaters, and he confirmed the screening will be in one of the 8 theaters.  All 8 are "stadium" seating configuration.  The theaters range from a small 80 seater to a larger 230 seater.  He said that the theater used will depend on the number of people attending.  I also will stay for the lecture on Sat..  I will probably be able to get a few others interests up.  I can't wait to see it again on a real theater screen.

Thanks Jennis.x for the heads up.
-adrian

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2006, 06:29 AM »
Could you let us know about your experience Adrian?
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:04 AM »

adrian
Adrian,

Jennis.x

Yes, I will probably go.  I called the owner of the Iris Stadium Theaters, and he confirmed the screening will be in one of the 8 theaters.  All 8 are "stadium" seating configuration.  The theaters range from a small 80 seater to a larger 230 seater.  He said that the theater used will depend on the number of people attending.  I also will stay for the lecture on Sat..  I will probably be able to get a few others interests up.  I can't wait to see it again on a real theater screen.

Thanks Jennis.x for the heads up.
-adrian

Most wonderful. 

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2006, 01:32 PM »
I sure will.  I may take some photots, but I have no idea how to post them.  between last night and this morning, there are already three other Brokies that will make the drive!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I sure will.  I may take some photots, but I have no idea how to post them.  between last night and this morning, there are already three other Brokies that will make the drive!

Thanks adrian.  And yes: the more the merrier.  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #27 on: Sep 05, 2006, 09:29 PM »
I sure will.  I may take some photots, but I have no idea how to post them

I'm off topic  ::)

If you want to post pictures, just send me a personal message.

We now go back to our scheduled programm now.  ;)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Adrian,did you go?I heard it was sold out,ticket wise.(They were free weren't they?)

Jennis.x

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Hi Jennis,

The event that I was referring to is the one in Casper, Wyoming on Oct. 19-21.  However I did manage to go to the Annie Proulx lecture at the Davidson College in North Carolina.   I arrived on Wed. the 13th, checked into my hotel, and drove to the campus and got acquainted with the map of the grounds.  I walked around the Student Union Center and the Performance Hall where the lecture would be and also where they were planning to screen the movie.  Knowing that the movie screening was open only to students, so I donned my baseball cap and sweatshirt and waited for the movie to start.  They were not checking ID's, so I managed to get in...sat in the back, and enjoyed the movie...for the umpteenth time!

The following night was the lecture.  Yes, tickets were not available.  The auditorium was quite large, holding a few hundred, so I was surprised that it was sold out.  Nonetheless, it was simulcast in the very same room that I screened the movie in the night before.  I sat with many others who were unable to attain tickets.  And there, we all listened and watched the marvelous Ms. Proulx speak.

She first spoke on a project she is currently working on, the Wild Horses of the Red Desert, a place now being decemated by methane gas extraction.  She continued about the Spanish horses in 1900's America,  how they came to be, and their unfortunate outcomes.  More heartbreaking realities of horses used in and by the military during the wars.

Annie continued with fiction by reading her short story "The Blood Bay" form Close Range?  She got quite a laugh at the end of that dark comedy.  She then took questions.  We couldn't hear the questions (in this screening room) but heard her responses.  Someone asked something about BBM.  She answered there were some parts she didn't like and parts they added that she did like, but overall she was pleased with how it turned out.  She said that the film reached more people than the book, and changed some minds. She continued, "And I feel lucky it happened that way."

She was asked which of her stories and novels was the hardest for her to write.  To my surprise she said BBM.  She said it took her 6 months solid, much longer than expected for a short story.  She said it was difficult for an elderly woman to get into the minds of two teenage boys who didn't even know the word gay, and then write their lives convincingly.  And then she added, after she submitted it to her publisher, she tossed and turned the night before, that something wasn't right, and that she had to correct it before it was too late.  The next morning she called her publisher and changed the last line!  Sadly, she didn't say, what the original line was.   Someone asked, how do you get into the minds of two gay cowboys?  She answered, "We have some secrets."  For a woman who writes such harsh stories, I was taken aback with her very delicate and elegant voice.  I mean, remember "Blood on the Red Carpet?"

Directly after, people came pouring out of the performance hall for the reception.  There were appetizers, beverages, flowers and one long line of people with books to sign.  I got in line, and finally after 20-25 minutes got to meet her.  Everything I prepared to say to her vanished in thin air.  I said nothing memorable, but managed to get her to sign my copy of BBM.  Her autograph is tiny, much like that of an introvert.  She was gracious and patient, and allowed all questions and comments from those in line.

I met up with someone from another forum who convinced me to show Ms. Proulx my prop from the movie.  I own the jack knife and little wooden horse Ennis is scene carving in the begining of the movie, and I brought it to show Truman, the other forum member.  Well, I showed it to Annie and she said something like, "Oh my, it looks just like it".  I told her that it was the actual prop from the movie.  She said "that's great," and smiled, after which Truman snapped a picture.  I will try to post it later.

Well it was a wonderful evening, well worth the miles travelled.  Ms. Proulx was everthing I hoped she'd be, I felt so great I couldv'e pawed the white out of the moon!  Thank you again Jennis for without your information, I would never have had the opportunity.

Sincerely,  Adrian.

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006, 05:12 AM by adrian.delmar »