Author Topic: BBM Happenings  (Read 38159 times)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Happenings 2006
« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Aww Adrian,

You are most welcome,and 'Thankyou' for your wonderful account of your Annie experience.It sounds so fascinating and interesting.I would love to see and hear Annie speak about her work and BBM.I love the story about the horses.It's sad but as an animal lover it interests me greatly.I think Ms Proulx must be very like Ennis from your account.It seems like you said, she is introvert and loves her horses like Ennis did.So happy to hear you own a piece of Brokeback history too.The little wooden horse and knife.That's brilliant.Now you have a signed copy of your BBM book.Something else to treasure.And to meet the writer of this wonderful story must be a dream come true.

And then she added, after she submitted it to her publisher, she tossed and turned the night before, that something wasn't right, and that she had to correct it before it was too late.  The next morning she called her publisher and changed the last line!

Would love to know what that last line was?Wonder if Annie knows how many people tossed and turned the night after they first saw Brokeback Mountain.Such an affect it has had on so many people.Thanks so much Adrian for relaying all of that.You have a marvellous memory and it was beautifully written.I shall look forward to piccie.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Casper too,if you go.Hope you do ;)

Hugs
Jennis.x

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #31 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:46 AM »
You're welcomed Jennis.  And by the way, those are the most words I've spoken written in a year!  And I'm not foolin'.

Adrian

PS I tried to post the pic, but it didn't work.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006, 03:54 AM by adrian.delmar »
His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Sep 20, 2006, 06:56 AM »
You're welcomed Jennis.  And by the way, those are the most words I've spoken written in a year!  And I'm not foolin'.

Adrian

PS I tried to post the pic, but it didn't work.
And wonderful words they are too.I have read it several times :)...You wrote it so well.Like a newspaper journos account of events.

Don't worry about piccie.(Although if you want help,just give a shout out.)Just glad you had a good time.

Jennis.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:38 AM »

Adrian.  Thank you for your truly wonderful post.  It would have been wonderful to hear Proulx read a story from "Close Range".  It is a truly haunting collection, no?

I for one would love to see the pic. 

I love your showing Proulx the jack knife and the wooden horse.  You are steward to a treasure.   

Thank you so much.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Oct 19, 2006, 09:44 AM »
It's getting near to Annie Proulx's talk in Casper...Saturday Oct 21st.

Adrian,have you decided if you will go yet? :)

Jennis.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2006, 08:16 AM »
Here is another Annie Proulx talk.(Cincinnatti)

Jennis.x

The week in review
And what's coming up
BY LORI KURTZMAN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Saturday: Gay cowboys! Well, not really. But the woman who wrote about gay cowboys - author Annie Proulx, whose short story, "Brokeback Mountain," appeared in the New Yorker in 1997 - will speak at the Mercantile Library's 19th annual Niehoff Lecture. The library's primary fundraising event begins at 7 p.m. at the Downtown Westin Hotel. Tickets are $175 a person and include dinner.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061022/NEWS01/610220365

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #36 on: Oct 27, 2006, 04:42 AM »

Jennis.x

Yes, I just returned on Monday.  I think I may not have logged out, so I think I was logged in all this time.  Well anyway, here is how things went in Wyoming.  I ended up flying into Denver and met up with a friend from the DC forum.  He and I drove to Casper and stayed the weekend to enjoy the lectures, movie screenings, etc..  It was a wonderful event.  Here is how I described it for friends at the Bettermost forum:

OCT. 21-"Cowboy Myths / Cowboy Realities" Discussion Panel w/ Annie Proulx[/color]

Casper is the second largest city in Wyoming, population aprox. 52,000, and sits in the heart of the state.  Rich in Western history, arts and entertainment, it's not surprising that this event was held here.  The Nic museum is the venue.

Adam and I arrived a few minutes before the start after a 2-hour drive from Riverton.  Stepping into the Nikolaysen Museum, there was the bustling of vendors and displays of art prints, books and posters for sale.  Lots of people milling around.  There were paintings and sculpture on display throughout the rest of the museum reflecting Wetern motif with a contemporary feel.  Well, the room was filled to capacity, and we feared that we would be standing in the back.  Until an angel appeared.  Our angel was Pete, waving us to join him and Lee (Front-Ranger) in the FRONT ROW!  They had saved us seats, which couldn't have been easy with the crowd that was there.
Thank you Lee and Pete. Brokies are wonderful folk!

Anyway the moderator and four panelists began with a ten minute oratory, introducing themselves and briefly explaining their thoughts and feelings about the "Cowboy".  They spoke in alphabetical order-

Abe Morris, Memoirist and professional rodeo rider.

Linda Hasselstrom, Poet, rancher essayist.

John Nesbitt, Eastern Wyoming College English and Spanish teacher.

Annie Proulx, Pulitzer Prize winning author of numerous novels and short stories about Wyoming, including Brokeback Mountain.

Abe charmed us with his story.  Born in NJ, he described the difficulties in being the first black professional rodeo rider in the West.  We were charmed with his energy and enthusiasm, and we even managed to get a little fashion show out of it.

Abe Morris, Linda Hasselstrom and Annie Proulx

Linda Hasselstrom and John Nesbitt followed, and last but certainly not least, Annie Proulx.  Annie began by announcing, "I'm not going to stand up, because I am nearsighted," followed by laughter.  She said that she wasn't comfortable speaking off the cuff, so had prepared something, and began reading.  Not only is she a great writer, but a great reader too.  She had us hyptnotized with stories of ranch hands, rodeos, of cowboys and cow belles.  Her story was eloquent and rough, elegant and raunchy, full of surprises, bringing chuckles and even full laughter every now and then.  The room was quiet, even the other panelists were hanging on her every word.  She stole the show!  And like many of her stories, she ended with a riddle.

Here is what she said towards the end of her 13 minute oration:

"This past year I had my own experience of the way the larger society uses the cowboy image, eleven years ago I wrote that short story Brokeback Mountain as part of a collection of stories revolving around an ironic conflict between belief and reality.  The epigraph was a quotation from a Wyoming rancher, 'realities never been much used out here'."

"There was an element of denial and fantasies in all of these stories, Brokeback was about Wyoming homophobia told through the lives of two nineteen year old boys in 1963, cut off from their ranch families, who could only find summer jobs herding sheep and who fell tragically in love.  They were not cowboys, although both wanted to be.  The self-hating character Ennis making due with occaisional ranch work.  Jack Twist trying his marginal skills at rodeo."

"When the film came out, I was disrtressed at the ads and reviews that called it a gay cowboy movie.  In vain I protested that it was not about cowboys.  Had I wanted to write a story about cowboys, I would not have put them to work herding sheep! (Much laughter by the audience).  I thought the error came from the eastern media to whom all men in boots and hats were cowboys.  Much later I learned that the savy producers of the film understood the power of the cowboy image extremely well, knew the film would shock, disturb and attract many viewers and make money.  I think I was the last one to figure this out." 

"Richard Price often used lame, mossy jokes to accompany his photographs, they sort of come at you out of left field.  In a way I can't explain there's one that seems appropriate today.  'A pink elephant, a green kangaroo and two yellow snakes strolled up to the bar.  You're a little early boys, said the bartender, he aint here yet.'"

There was some silence, a few quiet chuckles, and then applause.  All the while Annie was putting her pages of prose away.  She was wonderful.

Adrian

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2006, 11:46 PM by adrian.delmar »
His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #37 on: Oct 27, 2006, 05:06 AM »

Adrian.  Thank you for your truly wonderful post.  It would have been wonderful to hear Proulx read a story from "Close Range".  It is a truly haunting collection, no?

I for one would love to see the pic. 

I love your showing Proulx the jack knife and the wooden horse.  You are steward to a treasure.   

Hi Jennis,

Well, I finally learned how to use Photobucket, so here are the pictures:

Here is my friend Adam with the horse and knife.

And here is Annie admiring my little treasure.

Adrian

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2006, 05:17 AM by adrian.delmar »

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Oct 27, 2006, 05:29 AM »

Jennis.x

Yes, I just returned on Monday.  I think I may not have logged out, so I think I was logged in all this time.  Well anyway, here is how things went in Wyoming.  

Well, the room was filled to capacity, and we feared that we would be standing in the back.  Until and angel appeared.  Our angel was Pete, waving us to join him and Lee (Front-Ranger) in the FRONT ROW!  They had saved us seats, which couldn't have been easy with the crowd that was there.
Thank you Lee and Pete. Brokies are wonderful folk!

Abe Morris, Linda Hasselstrom and Annie Proulx

The room was quiet, even the other panelists were hanging on her every word.  She stole the show!  And like many of her stories, she ended with a riddle. 

Here is what she said towards the end of her 13 minute oration:

Richard Price often used lame, mossy jokes to accompany his photographs, they sort of come at you out of left field.  In a way I can't explain there's one that seems appropriate today.  'A pink elephant, a green kangaroo and two yellow snakes strolled up to the bar.  You're a little early boys, said the bartender, he aint here yet.

There was some silence, a few quiet chuckles, and then applause.  All the while Annie was putting her pages of prose away.  She was wonderful.

Adrian

Aww Adrian,
As always i am enthrilled to read of your experiences with Annie Proulx.Just reading and hearing the names,Wyoming,Casper and Riverton make Brokeback Mountain all so real.Must of been surreal for you?What a fabulous photograph of Annie.So pleased you had front row seats kept for you.Must of made the journey even more worthwhile.The photo of the rodeor Abe is gorgeous too.(I just noticed you put up the piccies of wooden horse and knife and showing Annie)Again,another perfect photograph for your album.Annie always come across as so humorous with a dry wit about her.You are right though...

''A pink elephant, a green kangaroo and two yellow snakes strolled up to the bar.You're a little early boys, said the bartender, he aint here yet''

A definite riddle.I still haven't figured it out?Did anybody?I especially like this line...

"realities never been much used out here."

Thankyou so much once again for sharing your thoughts, beautiful photographs and memories.
What a BBM year you are having <^(

Jennis.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #39 on: Oct 27, 2006, 09:12 AM »

Adrian, thank you so much for the report and the wonderful pix.  It was interesting that she was that naive about the use of cowboy imagery in marketing BBM.  But I don't find this strange.  Some of her stories may be fantastic, but they all ring of a naive veracity and directness that awes.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #40 on: Oct 27, 2006, 09:16 PM »
OMG!

Adrian.delmar, you made my day, thank you, thank you, thank you!  :^^)

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #41 on: Oct 28, 2006, 12:45 AM »

Thankyou so much once again for sharing your thoughts, beautiful photographs and memories.
What a BBM year you are having <^(

Jennis.x

Jennis, it's been a whirlwind for sure, I have been very fortunate.  Here's the best part.  My friend Adam, that I have mentioned, is the person that bought the actual aqua-colored truck that Ennis drives in the movie.  Like my horse, he bought it on Ebay.  I met him at another BBM event, and he lives in Denver, CO with his partner.  When he heard that I was flying in for the Casper event, he generously offered to drive me there from Denver, in the truck!.  We overnighted in Casper, in a small town called Kaycee, and then in Riverton.  It is all so surreal.  In Kaycee, we found the hotel that inspired Annie to use in the book, the Siesta Motel!  Here are a few photos:

Me (Adrian.delmar), Adam (EDelMar), and Ennis' 1966 Truck.

1 1/2 hours north of Casper, The Siesta Motel in Kaycee, WY.

Adrian
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2006, 11:44 PM by adrian.delmar »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2006, 05:39 AM »
adreian, thank you so much for sharing these with us.

These photos are wonderful....and the truck  :d) They remind me so much of the Wyoming trip I took. Glad to know that you enjoyed the trip.  :t)
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:01 PM »

Jennis, it's been a whirlwind for sure, I have been very fortunate.  Here's the best part.  My friend Adam, that I have mentioned, is the person that bought the actual aqua-colored truck that Ennis drives in the movie.  Like my horse, he bought it on Ebay.  I met him at another BBM event, and he lives in Denver, CO with his partner.  When he heard that I was flying in for the Casper event, he generously offered to drive me there from Denver, in the truck!.  We overnighted in Casper, in a small town called Kaycee, and then in Riverton.  It is all so surreal.  In Kaycee, we found the hotel that inspired Annie to use in the book, the Siesta Motel!  gHere are a few photos:
Adrian
Aww Adrian,
More BBM memorabilia.I love the fact that the people who are lucky enough to obtain these items are true Brokeback Mountain devotees and not dealers.It's wonderful to know your friend owns the Ennis truck.I remember that poignant scene with his little girls and a distraught Jack driving away.Must be surreal to sit in it.Your friend must be thrilled to own it.You both look very handsome in your cowboy hats.The second photograph from the distance is very Ennis like.The jacket is especially.I am just imagining what it must of felt like driving in the truck and going to Riverton.
You even found Annie's 'Siesta Motel'.Fantastic.Thanks once again for sharing your experiences and posting all the gorgeous photographs.

Jennis.x
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2006, 08:57 AM by Jennis »

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:03 PM »
adreian, thank you so much for sharing these with us.

These photos are wonderful....and the truck  :d) They remind me so much of the Wyoming trip I took. Glad to know that you enjoyed the trip.  :t)
Ethan,
I didn't know you went to Wyoming.Is the story in one of the threads or was this before BBM?

Bet it was a great experience. :)

Jennis.x

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #45 on: Oct 29, 2006, 11:14 PM »
Adrian,

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us!  <^( I love that your friend owns the truck and you have the horse- love the siesta motel, too!  :) I'm so glad that you had the privelege to meet Annie P.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

greenfrog

« Reply #46 on: Oct 30, 2006, 01:45 AM »
Great photos Adreian  <^( <^( <^(

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Jennis, it's been a whirlwind for sure, I have been very fortunate.  Here's the best part.  My friend Adam, that I have mentioned, is the person that bought the actual aqua-colored truck that Ennis drives in the movie.  Like my horse, he bought it on Ebay.  I met him at another BBM event, and he lives in Denver, CO with his partner.  When he heard that I was flying in for the Casper event, he generously offered to drive me there from Denver, in the truck!.  We overnighted in Casper, in a small town called Kaycee, and then in Riverton.  It is all so surreal.  In Kaycee, we found the hotel that inspired Annie to use in the book, the Siesta Motel!  Here are a few photos:

Me (Adrian.delmar), Adam (EDelMar), and Ennis' 1966 Truck.

1 1/2 hours north of Casper, The Siesta Motel in Kaycee, WY.

Adrian

WOW!  adrian.delmar, I am speechless!  Thanks again for the pix.  It MUST have been surreal: to ride in that truck and to visit the Siesta Motel!

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Nov 10, 2006, 01:40 AM »
The motel is real! Or at least has a relative in reality - I'm amazed. And the truck still runs - well, that's a bit oda tribute to American automotive engineering.

What wonder ful pix - thank you.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Nov 16, 2006, 07:48 PM »
More Annie.Is anyone going?

Jennis.x

Author Annie Proulx To Speak At CU-Boulder On Nov. 29

Nov. 16, 2006
Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx will present the Center of the American West's Distinguished Lecture at 7 p.m. on Nov. 29 in the Glenn Miller Ballroom at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

The event is free and open to the public and those interested in attending are encouraged to arrive early as seating is limited. A reception and book signing will follow the lecture.

Each year, the CU-Boulder Center of the American West presents a Distinguished Lecture featuring accomplished public figures presenting an original talk about the American West. The lecturers also meet with CU students and faculty, high school students and community members. Previous lecturers include Terry Tempest Williams, Jimmy Santiago Baca, Sherman Alexie and Alan and Pete Simpson.

Proulx is the author of "The Shipping News" and three other novels, "That Old Ace in the Hole," "Postcards" and "Accordion Crimes," and the story collections "Heart Songs" and "Close Range," which includes the story "Brokeback Mountain." She also is the winner of a National Book Award, the Irish Times International Fiction Prize, two O. Henry Prizes and a PEN/Faulkner in addition to many others. She lives in Wyoming.

"Reading Annie Proulx's work will turn the tide for people laboring under the belief that the West is either a happy, mythic locale quarantined from sorrow and consequence, or a melancholy region steeped in despair and defeat," said history Professor Patty Limerick, chair of the board of the Center of the American West. "She reminds us, in prose as artful as it is direct, that the West's complication and complexity are inseparable from its glory."

Proulx began her career as a freelance journalist and started writing short stories for Gray's Sporting Journal in the late 1970s. Her first book was "Heart Songs and Other Stories," followed by "Postcards," an across-the-country novel written largely while in residence at the Ucross Foundation in northern Wyoming. She resolved at that time to make Wyoming her permanent base when she could, a resolution she realized in 1994.

In 1988 she got the idea for "The Shipping News" within hours of landing at Port aux Basques in Newfoundland. Over the next two years she made 10 trips to Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula to do research for the book, although she wrote it in Wyoming.

In 1993-94 she traveled extensively in California, Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming, Quebec, Louisiana and Texas doing research for "Accordion Crimes," a novel of immigrant lives and music in North America. But every chance she had she took Wyoming as her subject, resulting in the collection of short stories, "Close Range," published in 1999.

Her next book was the semi-comic novel "That Old Ace in the Hole," largely concerned with the Texas panhandle, and then a second book of short stories, "Bad Dirt," again set in Wyoming.

Proulx studied history at the University of Vermont, graduating cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. She earned a masters's degree and passed her doctoral orals at Sir George Williams University (now Concordia) in Montreal. Her fields of study were Renaissance economic history, the Canadian north and traditional China.

Proulx's Nov. 29 talk is co-sponsored by the CU-Boulder English department. Her post-lecture book signing will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The Center of the American West takes as its mission the creation of forums for the respectful exchange of ideas and perspectives in the pursuit of solutions to the region's difficulties. The center believes that an understanding of the historical origins of the West's problems, an emphasis on the common interests of all parties, and a dose of good humor are essential to constructive public discussion.

For more information call (303) 492-4879 or visit www.centerwest.org.
Kurt Gutjahr, (303) 492-4067
Amber Blais, (303) 492-4067
Peter Caughey, (303) 492-4007

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2006/394.html

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:54 AM »
C U & Boulder       

Proulx to speak at CU

By ANNA HAISLIP Colorado Daily Staff
Sunday, November 26th 2006

The author of the acclaimed and controversial story “Brokeback Mountain” will speak at the University of Colorado this Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Glenn Miller Ballroom.

Annie Proulx, who originally wrote “Brokeback Mountain” for her short-story anthology, “Close Range,” will discuss her work and the American West for CU-Boulder's Center of the American West's annual Distinguished Lecture Series. The event is free and open to anyone interested in attending. After the lecture, there will also be a reception and book signing.

Although Proulx is currently best known for her story's adaptation into the Academy Award-winning film depicting the complex emotional, sexual, and romantic relationship between two men in the American West from 1963 to 1983, she is also the author of Pulitzer Prize- and National Book Award-winning “The Shipping News,” as well as “That Old Ace in the Hole,” the PEN/Faulkner Award-winning “Postcards,” and “Accordion Crimes.”

Both Proulx's admirers and critics acknowledge Proulx's ability to illustrate true human emotion in her stories.

Boulder County resident Nancy Jones, who plans on attending Proulx's lecture Wednesday night, said that “Brokeback Mountain” showed how powerful the emotion of love can be.

“I think she (Proulx) is able to capture the emotion of love between two people,” Jones said. “It doesn't matter who the people are, it is the emotion she captures.”

Proulx who began her career as a freelance journalist, started writing short stories for Gray's Sporting Journal in the late 1970s. While Proulx resides in Wyoming, her novels have taken her on extensive trips across the country.

In the late 1980s, Proulx made 10 trips to Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula to do research for “The Shipping News,” a novel which follows an emotionally-distraught man and his daughter back to their ancestral home in Newfoundland.

In the mid-1990s, Proulx traveled throughout California, Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming, Quebec, Louisiana and Texas in order to do research for “Accordion Crimes,” a novel about immigrant lives and music in North America.

However, every chance she gets, Proulx likes to set her stories in her current home state of Wyoming. Her short-story anthologies, “Bad Dirt,” and “Close Range,” as well as “Brokeback Mountain,” all take place in Wyoming.

Contact Anna Haislip in regard to this story at (303) 443-6272, ext. 113, or at editor@coloradodaily.com.

Click here!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Thanks Jennis.  I wish I could go.  And Boulder is a wonderful town -- full of natural beauty all around it.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Thurs Nov. 30th 4 p.m. "The Universality of Brokeback Mountain, a Tudor and Stuart Club talk with D.A. Miller, University of California, Berkeley. Sponsored by English. 323 Gilman. HW

Click here!

greenfrog

« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Thanks Jennis  :^^)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Happenings 2006/2007
« Reply #54 on: Aug 16, 2007, 07:43 AM »

An indication that in many of the US public libraries, BBM continues to be shown and continues to generate discussion...  This one was apparently in Pittsburgh.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bethel Park cable show highlights events at the library
Thursday, August 16, 2007

By Jennifer Goga

It's easier than ever to "Check It Out" at Bethel Park Public Library. Librarians Ing Kalchthaler and Mary Mullen have started to host a half-hour cable show that highlights upcoming library events.

Their light-hearted banter becomes a comedy routine at times, with Ms. Mullen playing it "straight" as Ms. Kalchthaler launches a stream of one-liners. The two said they hope the show emphasizes that libraries can be lively destinations, not places filled with dusty volumes where patrons are "shushed."

"Check It Out" is taped monthly and airs Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 7 and is available only to Bethel Park residents. If you don't live in Bethel Park, you can view the show online at bethelparkcheckitout.blogspot.com.

The show started as a 10-minute promotion for the library's "Movies for the Mind," a Sunday evening program in which a movie is viewed at the library and discussed afterward.

"We try to pick something that will stimulate discussion," Ms. Mullen said. One movie that succeeded in generating debate was "Brokeback Mountain.''

The promotion succeeded in drawing dozens of people to an event that, previously, was only sparsely attended.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Happenings
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2008, 02:30 PM »

For those in the Bay Area who would be interested:

Link to the venue: http://www.bistrobooks.com./

----------------------------------------------------------

"BEYOND BROKEBACK "" THE POWER OF STORY," a staged reading of "Brokeback Mountain" by Annie Proulx, is set for March 10 at Livermore's Firehouse Bistro and Books.

The event begins at 6 p.m., with a menu of potato and bacon chowder for $8, and wine, beer and other beverages, followed by the reading, which is free.

Actors, including Connie Duke, Tom Darter, Bryant Hoex, Karen Hogan, Kathy Streeter and Clark Streeter, will read Proulx's short story, as well as excerpts from "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film."

The event is at 2369 First St., Livermore. Tickets may be purchased at the door.

Reach Pat Craig at 925-945-4736 or pcraig@bayareanews group.com.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008, 03:17 PM »

Seattle Movie Events

CENTRAL CINEMA: 1411 21st Ave.
#"Brokeback Mountain."The Oscar-winning film staring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as cowboys struggling with their secret lifelong romance. May 7-11. 7 and 10 p.m.
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #57 on: Jun 04, 2008, 08:03 AM »
London and UK members take note:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a97342/hellboy-ii-to-screen-at-somerset-house.html

-----------------------------------

'Hellboy II' to screen at Somerset House
Tuesday, June 3 2008, 16:38 BST

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy II: The Golden Army will get its UK premiere at Film 4's Summer Screen series at Somerset House.

The event, which will turn the London landmark into an outdoor cinema, takes place from July 31 to August 9 and features a different film each night.

Pan's Labyrinth, The Exorcist, Brokeback Mountain and Singin' in the Rain will also be shown, with Scarface as the event's closing night film.

The complete lineup is as follows:

July 31 - Hellboy II: The Golden Army
August 1 - Pan's Labyrinth / The Exorcist
August 2 - Brokeback Mountain
August 3 - O Brother, Where Art Thou?
August 4 - Leon
August 5 - Fellini's 8 1/2
August 6 - Dr Strangelove
August 7 - Singin' In The Rain
August 8 - The Elephant Man / Wild At Heart
August 9 - Scarface

----------------------

Somerset House
Strand
London
WC2R 1LA

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #58 on: Jul 10, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Referring to the previous post.... I was just walking up the hall in my flat when I heard Heath as Ennis telling Jack at the end of their time on the mountain that he might see him sometime........ on an advert on my TV.

It is so amazing that even that one spoken line, heard from another room, stopped me in my tracks and gave me a full on PBS moment. That alone shows me the power this movie has over me even 3 1/2 years down the line.  God I love that!

Anyway here's another wee bit about the event this august in London for all the BRitish Brokies (or any other) who may be interesting in attending)

Brokeback Mountain will be screened in the open air at London's Somerset House this summer.

The Oscar-winning movie starring the late Heath Ledger is among a string of classic films, including The Elephant Man, Leon and Scarface, on the bill at this year's Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House.

For 10 nights the magnificent courtyard at Somerset House will be transformed into a full-scale open air cinema with a state of the art giant screen, 35mm projection and surround-sound.

The season begins on July 31 with Hellboy II: The Golden Army and ends with a Scarface on August 9. Tickets go on sale on June 5.

The films follow Somerset House's Summer Season open air gigs, which will see artists including Adele, The Fratellis and Duffy perform live in the courtyard.

Somerset House will be hosting a string of cultural events throughout the summer. These include art, fashion and architectural exhibitions, free morning Tai Chi lessons on the river bank and a free family festival of circus-inspired activities.

Gwyn Miles, Director of Somerset House Trust, said: "I believe that Somerset House is a unique venue for London with a special role to play in the cultural life of the city. Not just a beautiful historic building accessible to everyone but a place where artists and audiences can explore new ideas and enrich their experience of London. We are indebted to the artists, promoters and sponsors who are working with us to deliver this programme."

Tickets are available at www.somersethouse.org.uk or www.ticketmaster.co.uk.
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #59 on: Jul 11, 2008, 07:41 AM »
Thank you so much Tom!

Yes, it is amazing how a single spoken line would affect us so.  It is the same with me.