Author Topic: Is Ellen payback to the gay community from the Academy Awards?  (Read 9728 times)

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
After the tragic events that unfolded at last year's Academy Awards when Brokeback Mountain lost the top honour, many members of the gay community were outraged.  Gays and lesbians alike went as far to say that they would boycot the Academy Awards in future years.  No more Oscar Parties, no more Oscar pools at the office.

This year the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced to the world that Ellen DeGeneres will host the Awards show in 2007.  Ellen's sexual preference is well known, especially after the controvercial first lesbian kiss on her popular situation comedy several years ago.

I would like to ask the people of the Brokeback Mountain Forum what you think of this development. Did the Academy choose Ellen for her great work as a host on the Emmy Awards and other award shows?  Or is the Academy trying to send a message to the gay community that the Academy is not homophobic?   Is it a peace offering or a token gesture?  If you swore off the Acadamy Awards last year is it enough to bring you back next year?  Is it too little too late?

I'd be really interested to hear what people think.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Is Ellen payback to the gay community from the Academy Awards?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Hello scruffy, long time no see.

Interesing thread. I was one of those who swore off AS last year (gee..how time goes by). Personally, I don't care for AS anymore.

I did read the news that Ellen is going to host the show and some speculations of what you pointed out. I do hope it is not a peace offering or a token gesture. She should not be chosen because what happened to BBM. Ellen DeGeneres is deserving regardless who she is, just like BBM who should have won the best film regardless the subject.

I understand the world usually is not that simple. I for one, will not watch the Academy Award....sorry Ellen but I know you will do a great job.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Satin_Hephaestion

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Hi, i'm new here.

But i think Ellen is payback, i thought it when they first announced it. Its a little shameful IMO
sarah... i love you

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:29 PM »
On the other hand, she's done some hosting before. Her show is enormously popular. And she seems to have the kind of irreverant but respectful humor they might generally be looking for. I think in some ways it's just her turn. At the same time, I'm sure it's not entirely coincidental that this is the year they made her the offer. Did I just contradict myself? :s)
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I'm happy she is hosting, and i didn't mean to come off as if i didn't. She is funny, and i hope she jokes about this whole thing at the show, that would be great ;)

What i'm stuck on is what movies will be nominated? But thats off topic :-X
sarah... i love you

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:37 PM »
BTW,  #$# Satin_Hephaistion

Yeah I agree that it was probably somewhat politically motivated. And that she'll be good either way.

As to the nominated films....hmmm....too soon to tell...

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2006, 07:48 PM »
BTW,  #$# Satin_Hephaistion

Yeah I agree that it was probably somewhat politically motivated. And that she'll be good either way.

As to the nominated films....hmmm....too soon to tell...

thanks so much. People are too nice!
sarah... i love you

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I love Ellen but I am still harboring great resentment and will not be watching.  I know she will do a great job but I tend to think it was not a coincidence that they chose her to host.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

greenfrog

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2006, 10:04 PM »
All I know is, I'm looking forward to seeing her her host.  <^(

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Hello scruffy, long time no see.

Interesing thread. I was one of those who swore off AS last year (gee..how time goes by). Personally, I don't care for AS anymore.

I did read the news that Ellen is going to host the show and some speculations of what you pointed out. I do hope it is not a peace offering or a token gesture. She should not be chosen because what happened to BBM. Ellen DeGeneres is deserving regardless who she is, just like BBM who should have won the best film regardless the subject.

I understand the world usually is not that simple. I for one, will not watch the Academy Award....sorry Ellen but I know you will do a great job.

I certainly will not watch it, even if Heath, Jake, and the rest of the BBM gang would be in attendance.  The only thing that may change my mind is if one of them would be nominated.  But even if they were nominated and won, it does not change how I feel about the Academy.  To me, 2006 was a total loss of credibility.

Offline Twisted

• Jack + Ennis
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:23 AM »
I agree with Thomas 100 % .
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -

From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2006, 05:54 PM »
At the time, i hadn't seen Brokeback to feel bad about its lost, but now i just don't get why it lost. Good Night, Good Luck was really boring and too short. Crash wasn't that well made, and its too cliched, and badly written, Capote, very good, but very bland, Munich, i don't know whats wrong with it. lol, its too controversal. BBM was the best acted, best directed, best scored, and the best written, and best looking movie nominated. I hope i don't sound too blind, but i get worked up sometimes &**)
sarah... i love you

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2006, 01:35 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I totally swore off the Academy Awards last year.  I went as far as saying that I would boycot every tv advertiser, every company that supplies swag, and every designer that dresses the stars.

When I heard Ellen was hosting, I was inclined to watch next years awards just to see if she says anything about the Brokeback fiasco.

Nah, I'll read about it the next day.  I can't stand injustice.  The Academy stabbed many people in the heart far too deep and my memory is long -- very long.

Hollywood is slowly becoming history anway and it is best not to watch things dying a slow death suffer.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:51 PM »
We should also remember this isn't the first time, nor will it be the last , that the academy fell short or exercised poor judgment. The Color Purple comes to mind, as well as Saving Private Ryan, not to mention certain individuals who were shut out over the years. If our boys are there, I will undoubtedly watch (cuz I just have to see them where I can). But the whole process no longer holds my esteem the way it once did.

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I'm going to watch the Oscars, for sure. Though i know now that they were 'wrong' by not awarding Brokeback in the 'best picture' department, but the Oscars are usually fun to watch and very entertaining, even if your favorite movie wins or not.
sarah... i love you

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Agreed. :)

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2006, 12:57 PM »
I don't think its a peace offering at all, sadly. A peace offering would normally come after someone admits they have done something wrong. The Academy never did that, in fact they called suggestions that there was any bias in last years decision for BP ridiculous, despite proof to the contrary. In light of this I think that choosing Ellen for this year's host is just another way for them to deny homophobia was involved last year - see we even have a lesbian hosting. That's my cynical view anyway.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I shan't watch, on the grounds that the Awards are no longer, if they once were, what they claim to be. If the title "Best Picture" is awarded to one that clearly isn;t best in any way, the whole thing is a pointless charade, an opportunity for a lot of people to show off in borrowed "green" cars, clothes and jewellery, and little more.

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:11 PM »
I really wont be watching the Oscar telecast- Just hearing people say certain films and performances  are shoo- ins for oscar noms this year just brings back bad memories of last year and anything Oscar mentioned just turns me off. It is interesting to read movie reviews on different sites where peple are writing in having just seen BBM after all of these months- Most from PPV showings and how so many of them "get" the film and state it stays with them for a long time and should have won Best Pic last year. I just hope I hear that Ellen made some reference to BBM even if its something like- "Well I wonder which film will get "Brokebacked" this year ?"  Now that would be sweet .

greenfrog

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2006, 02:38 AM »
"Brokebacked" . . . There's another one for our growing this of vocabularies.

roconner

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:46 PM »
If the Academy thinks Ellen will make up for shafting BROKEBACK,
they are sadly mistaken!

I'v watched faithfully for over 40 years, but not this year.

If Jake and or Heath aren't there in some capacity, I'm not watching.

Case closed!
[/size]