Author Topic: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards  (Read 83007 times)

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
Re: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards
« Reply #210 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:55 AM »
I think L.D. Newsome, Joe Aguirre, Jack's father and Ennis' father are all voting members of the Academy.

Ha ha...ha ha ha.  Good.  Good one.  Dead on, too.  That's a line I wish the crusty (stuffy, out-of-touch, maybe deaf and dumb) members of the Academy could read!
``[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made `Brokeback Mountain' so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.'' -- Ang Lee

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #211 on: Mar 18, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I was hoping that BBM would win the Oscar for best picture, but I knew that most of the voters for the acadamy are homophobic so I was not surprised when a trash movie won the Oscar.  It is important to remember that being nominated is very important you can't over look that.  The nomination elevates the movie to a higher plateau.  My question is if the movie won for best director, how could it not be the best picture.  But this was strickly a controlled vote that is, what Bush wants Bush gets.

Gotta say it. If BBM had won, I do not think there would have been so much post-Oscar talk about the film. The snub has galvanized, awakened, and motivated people to see, identify and confront homophobia in this country.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
« Reply #212 on: Mar 18, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I was hoping that BBM would win the Oscar for best picture, but I knew that most of the voters for the acadamy are homophobic so I was not surprised when a trash movie won the Oscar.  It is important to remember that being nominated is very important you can't over look that.  The nomination elevates the movie to a higher plateau.  My question is if the movie won for best director, how could it not be the best picture.  But this was strickly a controlled vote that is, what Bush wants Bush gets.

Gotta say it. If BBM had won, I do not think there would have been so much post-Oscar talk about the film. The snub has galvanized, awakened, and motivated people to see, identify and confront homophobia in this country.

You're probably right there, friend.  And yes:  Jack Nasty for president.  (Fictional or not, at least he's got heart!)
``[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made `Brokeback Mountain' so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.'' -- Ang Lee

Offline flikker2005

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #213 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I think L.D. Newsome, Joe Aguirre, Jack's father and Ennis' father are all voting members of the Academy.

Ha ha...ha ha ha.  Good.  Good one.  Dead on, too.  That's a line I wish the crusty (stuffy, out-of-touch, maybe deaf and dumb) members of the Academy could read!

Boots,

Thank you for your support.  I think that, L. D., Joe and the boy's fathers will never change.  Change for us will come only when the dinosaurs are finaly extinct.  I hope to live to see that day.

be well in this life and the next.

Touts les événements sont enchaîné dans le meilleur des mondes possibles ... VOLTAIRE "Candide; ou L'Optimisme"

Offline Allyce

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #214 on: Mar 26, 2006, 10:21 PM »
I was pretty disappointed that BBM didnt win Best Picture, and that Heath, Jake, and Michelle didnt win their awards either. I was yelling at the TV.  :-X

I saw Crash earlier today, and I dont think it was an Oscar winning movie.

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #215 on: Mar 26, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I was pretty disappointed that BBM didnt win Best Picture, and that Heath, Jake, and Michelle didnt win their awards either. I was yelling at the TV.  :-X

I saw Crash earlier today, and I dont think it was an Oscar winning movie.

Exactly. Crash was alright, but it just didn't seem Oscar worthy when I watched it.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline n061857

• beau dego
  • Alma
« Reply #216 on: Mar 26, 2006, 11:31 PM »
I just finished watching Capote.   What were they thinking??????????   Heath Ledger was a thousand times better than Phillip Seymour (? don't even care to know his last name.  Hell, Jake Gyllenhaal was a thousand times better.    I had seen Crash also.  There is just no comparison to BBM.   Mad and disappointed once more. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #217 on: Mar 26, 2006, 11:45 PM »
I just finished watching Capote.   What were they thinking??????????   Heath Ledger was a thousand times better than Phillip Seymour (? don't even care to know his last name.  Hell, Jake Gyllenhaal was a thousand times better.    I had seen Crash also.  There is just no comparison to BBM.   Mad and disappointed once more. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry to hear your disappointment. Many feel the same way. History will do justice. Crash or PSH will be forgotten soon but BBM will be   forever. It will be the movie that we keep seeing again and again.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #218 on: Mar 27, 2006, 07:37 AM »

I tried to watch Capote the other day. I couldn't do it, wich upset me, because peolel had told me that it was good. You need complete silence and good speakers to understand a word coming out of that man's mouth. Unfortunately I had neither, so after struggling for twenty minutes I gave up. He seemed pretty good to me, but not as good as Heath was.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline n061857

• beau dego
  • Alma
« Reply #219 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:38 AM »
He just did not evoke any sympathy in me.  I didn't FEEL his despair.  Ennis was so very multifaceted.  I found Truman very one dimensional.  I just didn't like him. 

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #220 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:43 AM »
He just did not evoke any sympathy in me.  I didn't FEEL his despair.  Ennis was so very multifaceted.  I found Truman very one dimensional.  I just didn't like him. 
I do not think we were meant to feel his despair. I felt that weepy scene, toward the end with the killers before they were hanged, seemed out of place with the rest of the film. I am not drawn back to Capote. I may be one day. I know it was a bust in theaters, but I wonder how it fairs on DVD.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2006, 12:21 PM by bnjmn3 »

Offline n061857

• beau dego
  • Alma
« Reply #221 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I didn't like the fact that he continually lied to Perry about his book and later about trying to save him.  When he cries at their last meeting, I kept waiting for him to touch him.  And I thought it was kind of odd that perry didn't acknowledge Capote before he was hung.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #222 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:22 PM »
I didn't like the fact that he continually lied to Perry about his book and later about trying to save him.  When he cries at their last meeting, I kept waiting for him to touch him.  And I thought it was kind of odd that perry didn't acknowledge Capote before he was hung.
I wonder if the last meeting really happened or was created for the film.

Offline n061857

• beau dego
  • Alma
« Reply #223 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:56 PM »
I don't know.  We can see he went reluctantly at best.

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #224 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:47 AM »

I do not think we were meant to feel his despair.

That's what I got from the little bit that I was able to watch. I wouldn't buy it ro anything. People just told me that it was definately worth a watch.

Offline xvbbJ

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #225 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:21 PM »
I'm sure the old losers, Trash and its voters, deserve each other. I pity the voting movie experts a bit as surely nobody in their right mind would choose Trash as best picture / no, not over BBM, just generally (+ imagine BBM being voted by the same non-discerning ppl thinking the average Trash worthy of best pic, lol). Frankly, I don't want to take that close a look at that sick relationship between Trash and its voters - it was enough of a yuck! moment having to deal with it peripherally when watching half an hour of the Oscar night :D. Soon enough the trash will be returned to its dusty shelf and forgotten - while the romantic, subtle and precious BBM never will, it will be talked about for many years to come, probably with new people doing the discussion and certainly with new conclusions to be reached.

Offline ms.bluesky

• Lureen
« Reply #226 on: Jul 15, 2006, 01:05 PM »
i cant believe bbm didnt win evry thing i should have im gunna like urrrrggggggggggggg i just wanna ^^)somebuddy up
:..i miss you so much i cant hardly stand it...:

Offline Cinemafervor

• Cassie
Academy gets it right
« Reply #227 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Kinda off topic but just in case you guys didn't know...

For the past 79 years, the Oscars have always issued an official / collectable poster for their upcoming ceremony a few months in advance. The posters are always beautifully designed and unique.

This year they designed a poster with an Oscar in the middle surrounded by quotes from classic movies. But here’s the catch…they tended to only picked one movie to quote per year. In other words, SCHINDLER’S LIST was the only movie quoted from 1993. Anyway… guess what film they picked to quote from 2005…

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN: “I wish I knew how to quiet you”

Other classic quotes surrounding it are ones from;

GONE WITH THE WIND
CASABLANCA
CITIZEN KANE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
E.T.
AMERICAN BEAUTY
THE WIZARD OF OZ
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
WEST SIDE STORY
TITANIC
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
THE GODFATHER

…it’s all rather telling if you ask me. 

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #228 on: Dec 24, 2006, 07:39 AM »
"and the real winner is"...................................   O0

Can anyone quote one single line from Crash.........................I thought not.
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline flikker2005

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #229 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:12 PM »
Better late than never!

Touts les événements sont enchaîné dans le meilleur des mondes possibles ... VOLTAIRE "Candide; ou L'Optimisme"

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #230 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:47 AM »
Better never, if you ask me. They did the wrong thing, we know they did, they know we know they did, but much more important the rest of the movie-going public knows they were wrong. Their judgements, if you can call them that, won;t be taken as seriously in future - the only people they harmed in the end were the members of the Academy. Couldn't hurt the people who made the movie, couldn't hurt us, couldn't take anything away from BBM because what it had wasn't theirs to give or take.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #231 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:03 PM »
They picked this quote!!!!!!!!!!!! to quote Jack Wooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!

Better never, if you ask me. They did the wrong thing, we know they did, they know we know they did,

and we know they know we know they did!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
« Reply #232 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Maybe it's their way of saying "sorry" for their dumb ass mistake, but the damage has been done.  Still, atleast we get to have our Jack's quote imortalized by one group.  No doubt, BBM will be a clasic one day.  To me, it rank high among those clasic listed.

Offline vivici

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #233 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:52 PM »
I was just surfing today and came up with this unbelievable--to me--information, which is proof that the members of the Academy have always had a screw loose.  In the year that "Rocky" won for Best Picture, the competition was:

Taxi Driver
All the President's Men
Network
Bound for Glory (Woody Guthrie biopic)

OMG, are these people completely insane or incompetent or what?!?  I mean, "Rocky" over "Taxi Driver"?!  Maybe "Brokeback" should be proud it wasn't chosen Best Pic.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #234 on: Jan 02, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Well, BBM will be remembered as much as Taxi Driver is remembered.  That's a comfort.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #235 on: Jan 02, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Well, BBM will be remembered as much as Taxi Driver is remembered.  That's a comfort.

That's a very good point
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline larrousse

• Cassie
« Reply #236 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:46 AM »

I don't know if this has been covered, but may I ask, do we know, or will we ever get to know the voting-margin by which 'Crash' won the best picture award over BBM..? I would find it very useful, even if we could have just an indication of that..

Anyone knows/has read anything..?

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #237 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:54 AM »

I don't know if this has been covered, but may I ask, do we know, or will we ever get to know the voting-margin by which 'Crash' won the best picture award over BBM..? I would find it very useful, even if we could have just an indication of that..

Anyone knows/has read anything..?

Forget it, this is top secret material... I don't really care.  We all know what the best movie was and which movie will be remembered  ^-^

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Mars

• Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
« Reply #238 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Forget it, this is top secret material... I don't really care.  We all know what the best movie was and which movie will be remembered  ^-^

Yes, Cham is right,definitively..."Crash" didn't hit people as did our beloved movie
and it's the most interesting thing about this I retain O0

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #239 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:37 PM »
I expect a very low-rated show next Sunday night---even with Ellen there.  Except the Departed, none of the best picture nominees has made any money. None of them have BBM magic. Eastwood's Letters has generated less than 9.9 million. But, he may win. He's the easy, well-liked, comfortable choice.  I am watching my Brokeback HD DVD Feb 25th. Then its only a few days to Zodiac!