Author Topic: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards  (Read 82267 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:34 AM »
Oscar is only an *American* award. We have so many wonderful members around the world affected by this wonderful movie. That is what we are here for and what this forum is for. BBM is the most nominated movie and history will be the best judge.

yes!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:41 AM »
Oscar is only an *American* award. We have so many wonderful members around the world affected by this wonderful movie. That is what we are here for and what this forum is for. BBM is the most nominated movie and history will be the best judge.

Right on!!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:19 AM »
WHOOPS should have posted this here instead of on link not sure where to post
so here is where i posted how we can ge into action: http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=2206.0

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:29 AM »
We are in good company-this might help with he pain-but first I must say in the tone jack say when he said F%^K Aguirre- F&*K the Oscars--ahh that yelled from my soul--okay here is the good company
Just got this from the IMDB board, cheered me up no end

----------------------------------------------------------
To make you happy, here's a list of great, controversial, or just plain fondly remembered English Language/silent films that DIDN'T win Best Picture, from the 30's onward (since then, they have been held each year of the decade for the last 7 decades)...some were not even nominated! the list: My gawd just noticed these are all classics-anyone remember who they lost to--hehehe

City Lights (1931)
I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)
Duck Soup (1933)
King Kong (1933)
Modern Times (1936)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
The Wizard of Oz (1939) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

The Great Dictator (1940)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Citizen Kane (1941)    is a classic
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Brief Encounter (1945)
The Big Sleep (1946)
Notorious (1946)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)  which is a classic now they play every Xmas
Black Narcissus (1947)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
The Third Man (1949)

Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Ace In The Hole (1951)
High Noon (1952)
Singin In The Rain (1952)
Stalag 17 (1953)
Rear Window (1954)
The Killing (1956)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Vertigo (1958)    Hitchcock
North by Northwest (1959)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
Some Like It Hot (1959)    Fu*k tony curtis, btw

Psycho (1960)

Inherit the Wind (1960)
To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb (1964)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? (1966) great movie
the Graduate (1967)
Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
Faces (1968)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) i was so stoned when i saw this hehehehe
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Wild Bunch (1969)

MASH (1970)    the best the best
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
The Last Picture Show (1971)
Badlands (1973)
The Exorcist (1973) the best wow it didn't win
Chinatown (1974)
The Conversation (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Taxi Driver (1976)
All the President's Men (1976)
Network (1976) groundbreaking
Star Wars (1977)    you are kidding?  no win? wow
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Alien (1979) oh my gawd
Manhattan (1979)

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Raging Bull (1980)
The Elephant Man (1980)
The Shining (1980)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Blade Runner (1982)
Scarface (1983)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
The Killing Fields (1984)
Brazil (1985)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)    you shoud watch this today  sitll relevent
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Do The Right Thing (1989)

Goodfellas (1990)
JFK (1991)
Malcom X (1992)
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
The Player (1992)
The Piano (1993)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Pulp Fiction (1994)
Ed Wood (1994)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Se7en (1995)
Toy Story (1995)
Fargo (1996)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
American History X (1998)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Fight Club (1999)
The Matrix (1999)
Magnolia (1999)
The Insider (1999)
Being John Malkovich (1999)

Traffic (2000)
Memento (2000)
Requiem for a Dream (2000)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Gosford Park (2001)
Gangs of New York (2002)
The Pianist (2002)
Minority Report (2002)
Mystic River (2003)
Lost In Translation (2003)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Before Sunset (2004)
Sideways (2004)
Munich (2005)
Brokeback Mountain (2005) boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Good Night, and Good Luck (2005)
Capote (2005)
King Kong (2005)
A History of Violence (2005)
Sin City (2005)

...and there's plenty I've left off or forgotten. So let's not feel too bad for the cowboys, they are in some might fine company.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 04:37 AM by karind1 »

Offline twist_mar25

• Alma Jr.
  • "It can be like this, just like this always"
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:37 AM »
I'm absolutely disgusted with the Academy. Crash, the best picture? Not. Brokeback Mountain is the best picture of the year.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline sisya

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:41 AM »
I'm so disappointed. :( :'( A bit angry too. Crash is a good movie and racism is very important subject but BBM has truly touched people's hearts. Hope everybody involved in making BBM knows this.
Love is everything it's cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.

Offline jimmypage

• Lureen
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:00 AM »
We are in good company-this might help with he pain-but first I must say in the tone jack say when he said F%^K Aguirre- F&*K the Oscars--ahh that yelled from my soul--okay here is the good company

Thanks... :-\

Offline brian2006

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:24 AM »
what a dissapointing result after all... ...

everyone know what happen behind!!the world has been claimed BBM as the best film of the year but not for Oscar??strange indeed!!

but we can't change it, juz let it b...

and after all, ppl will think the Oscar, juz a so so academy award, and today is the saddest day for movie maker!

Lady

« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:25 AM »
Who needs the Oscars, some establishment telling us whats best, what do they know?? We got this  forum and we got each other and we love each other no matter what or who we are  thats what matters, what has brought us all together here means more than any bloody award, thats what i felt at 5.00am this morning when my freind told me by txxt bbm hadnt won best picture :(

aimi15

« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:33 AM »
Still a bitter pill to swallow...3 hours sleep, woke up thinking i'd had some horrific nightmare, but NO it wasn't a dream. Every news channel seems to be showing 'Brokeback upset' - yuck. Still 3 very good awards but why doesn't it feel THAT great?

Offline Badarsila

• ~BeRaDu_Di_KhAyALaN~
  • Alma Jr.
  • ~BaDaRsILa_In_Da_HoUsE~
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:42 AM »
Crash can just stick thier Best Pic Oscar Award up their A**..... >:( ::)

This is the last time i watch The Oscar Awards ever,.... >:(
"Oh Mortals, What is Love that binds beyond Life on Earth? To all Corners in a Pair we fly, Braving Summer and Winter by and by, Union is Bliss: Parting is Woe! Agony is Boundless for a Lovelorn Soul! Sweetheart, give me word..Trails of Clouds drifting foward..Amid Mountains capped with Snow, Wither shall my lonesome Shadow go?"

Offline brian2006

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Crash can just stick thier Best Pic Oscar Award up their A**..... >:( ::)

This is the last time i watch The Oscar Awards ever,.... >:(

haha!!

Oscar?? i won't respect her anymore....

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:30 AM »
Well, there are a lot of gay-themed forums where people are discussing how happy they are because they did finally get rid of this boring useless movie. No surprise, as many gay people are just as homophobic as everyone else, if not even more,
Which is very ironic IMHO, as a boring movie is made by a boring screenplay and a boring director, and BBM got both awards.
But I can't think about how happy all the bunch of morons who refused to be involved in the projects in the past years now are, saying "Phhewww see I was right when I decided not to make it".
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline Icarus512

• Cassie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:33 AM »
Though I am very disappointed that Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, I can't say I'm completely shocked.

but think about this...

The script, which was written years ago with nobody quite willing to make it into a movie, won an Oscar which is great! The score by Santaolalla was done beautifully and played a big part in the emotion of the movie, and also got an Oscar! And Ang Lee, taking a story everybody was scared of turning into a movie, which had to be funded by Canadian money because there was no one in the US willing to finance it won Best Director!

These are things to be happy about if you ask me... I thought Crash was not very deserving of the title but there's little we can do about it...

But no movie dealing so openly with homosexuality has received recognition in the way BBM has... they were awarded best picture by pretty much every other critics awards and GG and BAFTA... so a group of people rewarded another movie... majority rules if you ask me and BBM sure got that :)

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:38 AM »
On a side note, please don't take this as personal, but I do not agree with the "we won even if we lost" theory at all.
BBM winning best movie would have been an incredible achievement. Well, BBM loosing is a just as big and relevant event. It is a big, sharp and clear sign of what happens to those who challenge the power-that-be.
You can get Golden Lions by a naive italian film festival or score an award in old britain. But it will be "Crash" the one who will have to re-print all its dvd covers with the "Academy Award Winner - Best Film" logo - not BBM.
Oscars do not matter NOW that we lost. It wouldn't have been the same if BBM got 6 out of 8, would it?
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline jagrafess

• Lureen
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Though I am very disappointed that Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, I can't say I'm completely shocked.

but think about this...

The script, which was written years ago with nobody quite willing to make it into a movie, won an Oscar which is great! The score by Santaolalla was done beautifully and played a big part in the emotion of the movie, and also got an Oscar! And Ang Lee, taking a story everybody was scared of turning into a movie, which had to be funded by Canadian money because there was no one in the US willing to finance it won Best Director!

These are things to be happy about if you ask me... I thought Crash was not very deserving of the title but there's little we can do about it...

But no movie dealing so openly with homosexuality has received recognition in the way BBM has... they were awarded best picture by pretty much every other critics awards and GG and BAFTA... so a group of people rewarded another movie... majority rules if you ask me and BBM sure got that :)

Did any other movie get so many oscars?

The world thinks Brokeback Mountain was the best film, and the US ranked it in its top 5.  You CAN have a best director and not win best picture if the acting or other technical aspects don't quite match the genius of the Director.  I think Brokeback got a fair run,
and winning an oscor doesn't suddenly make the world a less homophobic place.  Fact is, it's the biggest grossing of all those nominated movies, and is destined to do great business on dvd because of the emotional bond it has found within so many who have seen it at the cinema.  None of those other movies are going to do the business of Brokeback.  And the Annie Proulx story and the soundtrack will be selling quite well I'm sure.  Brokeback will be a quiet revolution, it will dissipate into the culture and creep into into places where the bigots least expect it.  Decades from now it will be better known than Crash or Capote or Walk The Line.  Quite simply it is an iconic film which won't go away.  The little gay cowboy movie that could.  Not everything has to be a blockbuster or a "Best Picture" to endure.
Brokeback Mountain will go to dvd with "Best Director" "Best Original Soundtrack" and "Best Screenplay Adaption" on the cover. Three statuettes.  Three.  A pretty resounding endorsement from Hollywood if you ask me. 
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 06:56 AM by jagrafess »
I wish I knew how to quit you

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:43 AM »
Jagrafess, liked your comment about BBM being a quiet revolution -  it will live on while the others will be forgotten.  Am disappointed that we didn't sweep the awards, but am pleased  that BBM did get made and that its component parts were recognized as among the best with 8 nominations.  That in itself says something.  Yes would have liked it all, ecpecially for pic and Jake, but it didn't happen, so now we must continue that quieet revolution by continuing to praise it, to bring its message out further and to keep its gift in our hearts.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:58 AM »
When I saw the level of anticipation building up here, especially during the past 48 hours, I deliberately stayed away because years of experience have taught me not to count on the Academy to do the right thing. And, while the awards BBM did win are deserved and appreciated, I can't help but be disappointed by missing out on Best Picture, because I strongly believe it clearly was. And I still think Heath Ledger's performance was not just the best of the year, but of the decade; one of those standout performances that come along but rarely and stay with you for a lifetime. The level of disappointment is remeniscent of-though not nearly equal to-waking up November 3, 2004 and finding out the W had been re-elected. I still can't get over that one.
But it is important to remember that this is a film that no one in Hollywood would make for 7 years, and no one had very high expectations for until recently. In that light, it has been a remarkable success and an important cultural milestone. And it-along with Ethan, who deserves his very own Oscar IMHO-has brought together this wonderful group of people whom I would never have met without it, it has changed my life for the better-more on that later-and I am quite confident it will be remembered years from now as an example of what filmmaking is capable of at its best and most eloquent. So Bravo and despair not brothers and sisters. We have lost a battle, but made great strides toward ultimately winning the war, and no mere academy can ever take away all that these people and this film have given us!!
Peace!!
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 08:04 AM by proulxfan »
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline brian2006

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:03 AM »
yeah!!

that's true!!

BBM is one of the greatest movie of the decades, n many ppl know that!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:07 AM »
I have not slept a wink.  I am still speechless with disappointment.  I know I should move on, and I shall in a moment.  I feel as if it was a very personal humiliation.  I continue to ask myself: why do I feel for this film so much?  It is because I see as my film -- a film after my own heart.   

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:14 AM »
When I saw the level of anticipation building up here, especially during the past 48 hours, I deliberately stayed away because years of experience have taught me not to count on the Academy to do the right thing. And, while the awards BBM did win are deserved and appreciated, I can't help but be disappointed by missing out on Best Picture, because I strongly believe it clearly was. And I still think Heath Ledger's performance was not just the best of the year, but of the decade; one of those standout performances that come along but rarely and stay with you for a lifetime. The level of disappointment is reminiscent of-though not nearly equal to-waking up November 3, 2004 and finding out the W had been re-elected. I still can't get over that one.
But it is important to remember that this is a film that no one in Hollywood would make for 7 years, and no one had very high expectations for until recently. In that light, it has been a remarkable success and an important cultural milestone. And it-along with Ethan who deserves his very own Oscar IMHO-has brought together this wonderful group of people whom I would never have met without it, it has changed my life for the better-more on that later-and I am quite confident it will be remembered years from now as an example of what filmmaking is capable of at its best and most eloquent. So Bravo and despair not brothers and sisters. We have lost a battle, but made great strides toward ultimately winning the war, and no mere academy can ever take away all that these people and this film have given us.
Peace,

Proulxfan says it well!  Bravo! 

Give it a few years and the Academy will realize their error of cowardice and ignorance of artistic merit (not to mention the rare appearance of a once-in-a-lifetime, culturally altering event).  In a society where one can wake to find that W was reelected, it is absolutely no surprise to wake to this disappointment.  It is interesting that the leaders and the decision makers, as well as the masses, seem to come around too late.  That's what is so disheartening.  Seems it should be the other way around. 

So, it seems to me that it is best to take this disappointment, even this anger, and churn it into something beautiful and revealing, something intelligible and world-changing.  Annie Proulx did it; Ossana and McMurtry never stopped in their effort to get it to the screen; Ang made a world-class symphony of it.  And the actors gave the performances of a lifetime and have seared their fictional characters into our very marrow, so much so that we see, feel and commune with the likes of Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar in our daily endeavors.

Brokeback Mountain will be talked about -- just like we're doing here, with such intensity and soul-searching rigor -- years and years from now. 

``[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made `Brokeback Mountain' so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.'' -- Ang Lee

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Proulxfan, thank you for your comforting words. Although it would be nice to be the best picture, the success of BBM is not a bit less without it. It makes me feel humble to see so many great people around the world who have been touched by this movie. Not even 100 oscar statuetts can do that. The movie speaks for itself and the award was given to some 5000 voting members who do not represent many of us at all. Think of oscar as their own circle and it is up to them to choose the winner. We can disagree completely but it is still their votes.

Boots has the great point. Thank you.
So, it seems to me that it is best to take this disappointment, even this anger, and churn it into something beautiful and revealing, something intelligible and world-changing.  Annie Proulx did it; Ossana and McMurtry never stopped in their effort to get it to the screen; Ang made a world-class symphony of it.  And the actors gave the performances of a lifetime and have seared their fictional characters into our very marrow, so much so that we see, feel and commune with the likes of Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar in our daily endeavors.

We are not and should not be defeated and this only makes us stronger. Like Proulxfan said, we lost the battle this time but not the war. Every little thing counts. BBM has opened the gate and there will be more to come. One thing is for sure - the tale of and Ennis Del Mar and Ennis Jack and our love for BBM will continue.

I am so grateful to all of you and BBM for making this journey exciting and fulfilling.

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:03 AM »
After a very restless night, I have a few comments I'd like to share.

In Reese Witherspoon's acceptance speech, she quoted June Cash's reply when people asked her how she was doing as "Trying to matter..."  Let's face it, Oscar or not, BBM has made a difference in peoples lives.  It does matter, and that is the most important thing to remember.  Sure it didn't win an award as best picture as voted by the academy.  But why do we care so much the opinion of these people?  Are they the definitive voice of excellence in movie making?  Surely the past history of winners would say not always.  "Shakespeare in Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" anyone?  While an enjoyable movie, "Shakespeare" was a total fluff piece.  Guess what movie is seen every year on Memorial day here in the US?  And it's not simply because it's a war movie.  There are tons of war movies.  "Saving Private Ryan" resonates in people and will be remembered as one of the greatest war movies ever.  Perhaps BBM's greatest reward will be the legacy that endures, and I wholeheartedly believe it will endure the test of time as one of the best movies, ever.

I also don't think we should take anything away from "Crash."  While I did not personally see it, it obviously has its supporters as well.  Both Crash and BBM have people who support it and those that at best are indifferent towards them.  Neither was a clear cut absolute best choice to everyone.  The difference I see is that perhaps the fans of BBM are more passionate about this support.  Crash touched on racial themes, BBM on sexuality.  I would hope that both have had a positive impact on people.  I know that BBM has made me a better person.

The other telling sentence I heard last night came from host Jon Stewart.  After the Best Original Song award, he said something to the effect of "Oscar count: Three 6 Mafia=1, Martin Scorsese=0" That showed to me that the "best" do not always win the awards.  Sure, maybe I'm judging Scorsese on his body of work, but you can't tell me that not one of his movies was deserving at some point?

About drinking wine, my wife is fond of saying "I don't know much about wine, but I know what I like when I drink it."  I feel somewhat the same about movies.  Sure, I can analyze fine points, but ultimately, I wouldn't know how to judge one film as being better than the next.  The choice ultimately comes down to personal taste.  BBM is an excellent movie in many aspects, but I'm not sure what it is that attracts me to it.  No other movie has made me feel this way.  No other movie has grabbed me like this before.  No other movie has me still thinking about it every day months after I last saw it.  No other movie has me listening to the soundtrack everyday.  The experience of this movie is something I hold close to my heart.  Hopefully those involved with the making of BBM have even a slight understanding of how important this movie is to so many people. 

While disappointed with the final outcome of the Oscars, it has in no way diminished my love for BBM.  Its legacy will prevail as long as we hold the story in our hearts.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:05 AM »
While disappointed with the final outcome of the Oscars, it has in no way diminished my love for BBM.  Its legacy will prevail as long as we hold the story in our hearts.

Yes. Thank you, Kindred.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #54 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Did anyone win more than three Oscars?

was it 3 the most given to a film?

because if im not mistaken doesn't it make a four-way tie for BBM, Crash, Memoirs of a Geisha, King Kong..

"Crash" best picture, whatever.. but its no landslide victory obviously if the movie with the most oscars is in a 4 way tie for first.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 09:17 AM by Italian_Dude »
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline Ianhk

• Cassie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:18 AM »
I truly believe that Brokeback Mountain has already won many hearts in the world. What is more important than that?  I don't feel upset because it makes many people rethink their life and to be a better person.

So is it necessary to blame too much on the Academy?Not all members chose not to vote Brokeback as best picture indeed.  I already accept the result. It is never the end of the spirit of Brokeback, it is just the beginning.

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #56 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Did anyone win more than three Oscars?

was it 3 the most given to a film?

because if im not misten doesn't it make a three-way tie for BBM, Crash, Memoirs of a Geisha, King Kong..

Correct.  However, King Kong and Geisha only won technical awards. 

BBM won for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score.
Crash won for Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, and Film Editing (I think?)

Offline dr bill

• BBM Forever
  • Jack
  • There ain't never enough time, never enough...
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:30 AM »
I too am disappointed.  Were we robbed?  Not in my opinion because NO ONE can take away from us what we have achieved from BBM. We can choose to accept the limitations that society (the Academy as well) dictates or we can rise above the ashes...standing tall (in our saddles) and show the world that we are united.  Our story was shown worldwide and whether or not there was acceptance...we MUST accept ourselves and continue to love ourselves and each other.  BBM did not win best picture...but
BBM WON OUR HEARTS!  It has helped us to transform how we look at ourselves, it has opened closed doors and allowed the soft and warming breeze of love to flow through our lives. We must not allow the tragedy of not winning best picture to stop us from furthering the healing process that many of us have begun.  Most of us have sat in a darkened theater watching BBM portray a part of our lives to the world.  Now we MUST LIVE better knowing what BBM has created.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:46 PM by drbill »
Billy the Kid

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Yeah it's disappointing but I dunno, it reminds me of the year Shakespeare in Love won, while I love it
originally Saving Private Ryan looked like it would win.  And then Shakespeare group put on a massive campaign
and sure enough it won.  So they sort of bought the award, and that probably happened here.  They
probably did a big campaign.  It's weird, I mean BBM won ALL the other awards, producers award indie spirit,
GGlobe, Directors Guild. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline gjz24

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:13 AM »
The country sucks!!! let's  leave from it.