Author Topic: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards  (Read 82295 times)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
Re: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards
« Reply #90 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:36 PM »

It is our responsibility to keep this movie alive forever. Buy the DVD, talk about it to friends, quote from  it, and refer to it whenever you can.

I think that's the least that we can do for a film that has done so much for us!

I totally agree with you. It's up to us to make it enter the legend. :)
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline chrissy323

• Alma
« Reply #91 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:14 PM »
No sooner than I walked in he door at work today, before I even had my coat off, one of my co-workers came up to me to ask if I was devastated. I said no, I was disappointed, but not surprised. Having read and heard so much talk about Crash recently, I was prepared.

I saw Crash before I saw BBM for the first time, so I'm not comparing them on that basis. I hate to diss a moive, but my reaction to Crash was that "All in the Family" did it much better 30 years ago. As a matter of fact, I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen Crash and thought it was anything more than a so-so movie.

I take some comfort in the fact that a lot of people (critics, reporters etc) are genuinely surprised, Jack Nicholson for example.

My take on the whole thing is that the Academy had to recognize the "art" of the movie, hence the awards that were won, but they were not about to endorse the gay theme of the movie.

To me - as a straight woman - I really didn't see it as a "gay" movie. And it may sound trite but when one of my female co-workers and I were trying to convince a male co-worker to see it, we both told him that when watching it, you really kinda forget its about 2 men.

Sorry for rambling...I just got home after a long day at work.
"No More Beans"

"Beans 'bout all we got left"

"We got to do somethin' 'bout this food situation. Maybe I'll shoot one of the sheep"

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em"

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #92 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I am angry and disgusted and sad.  I wonder how many members of the Academy actually bothered to see the movie?  I also wondered about not showing Annie Proulx; what kind of slap was that? 

My husband was even angrier than I was, and he's not as big a fan of BBM as I am (though he loves Annie Proulx).  He couldn't believe "Crash" won.

The one good thing that will come out of all this is that you can bet I will be damn careful where my money and votes go from now on, and my children will not grow up to be ignorant fools.  >:(

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #93 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:40 PM »
One other thing--if "Crash" is so damn great, why didn't it win Best Director?  How the hell can you give a movie Best Director and not Best Picture?  That doesn't even make sense.

camom

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #94 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Considering all the articles I read today from Canadian, American and European press.  Critics are not so good, people are questioning how come that happened..  The Academy is in deep sh*t.  Many of it's members said they never saw BBM and would not see it,  it's against the rules.  Some other said he didn't dare to vote himself but gave the balllot to his secretary of a member of his family.  Many names are now known for braking the Academy rules.  They just opened a can of worms...  Up yours morons!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Badarsila

• ~BeRaDu_Di_KhAyALaN~
  • Alma Jr.
  • ~BaDaRsILa_In_Da_HoUsE~
« Reply #95 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:03 PM »
One other thing--if "Crash" is so damn great, why didn't it win Best Director?  How the hell can you give a movie Best Director and not Best Picture?  That doesn't even make sense.

camom

Yep, i agree with u on this, what were they thinking giving Crash the Best Pic Award???  ??? ::) :P
"Oh Mortals, What is Love that binds beyond Life on Earth? To all Corners in a Pair we fly, Braving Summer and Winter by and by, Union is Bliss: Parting is Woe! Agony is Boundless for a Lovelorn Soul! Sweetheart, give me word..Trails of Clouds drifting foward..Amid Mountains capped with Snow, Wither shall my lonesome Shadow go?"

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #96 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Considering all the articles I read today from Canadian, American and European press.  Critics are not so good, people are questioning how come that happened..  The Academy is in deep sh*t.  Many of it's members said they never saw BBM and would not see it,  it's against the rules.  Some other said he didn't dare to vote himself but gave the balllot to his secretary of a member of his family.  Many names are now known for braking the Academy rules.  They just opened a can of worms...  Up yours morons!

but who the hell is gonna investigate them, they have their own rules which this time they truly have not abide by, GOD I wish there was a Lawyer that would Challenge the Academy, read the rules on their webbsite yesterday and truly they brokes all the regulations in the book.
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #97 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:06 PM »

camom

Yep, i agree with u on this, what were they thinking giving Crash the Best Pic Award???  ??? ::) :P

I can answer that.

they were thinking..

"Hmm, so we don't look so blatantly ignorant and homophobic let's give Ang Lee best director for that gay movie. This way the gay rights activists can't say we shunned Brokeback and start a whole conterversy about it. We'lll give it to Crash just because it has nothingt to do with gay things *shudder* even though Gigli was probably more deserving of Best Picture. Yes! Great plan! We have saved the sanctity of love between one man and woman! Go us old geezers!"
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #98 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Don't you find it strange Clint Eastwood was not attending the ceremony yesterday?  Normally he should have been the one to present the Best Director Award.  He was not looking very happy at the Golden Globes when had to present his award to Ang.

There are some people in the film industry I would like to correspond with, just to know what they think of this situation...

I was wondering about that myself; he is working on a film though and may not have been able to get to L.A. for the Awards.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #99 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:09 PM »
I am angry and disgusted and sad.  I wonder how many members of the Academy actually bothered to see the movie?  I also wondered about not showing Annie Proulx; what kind of slap was that? 

My husband was even angrier than I was, and he's not as big a fan of BBM as I am (though he loves Annie Proulx).  He couldn't believe "Crash" won.

The one good thing that will come out of all this is that you can bet I will be damn careful where my money and votes go from now on, and my children will not grow up to be ignorant fools.  >:(
I agree with you it is despicable that they would not show Anni Proulx and tossed Ang Lee aside as fast as the windstorm on a lonely desert road. shame

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #100 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:16 PM »
if you guys haven't seen it check out the list of the non winning company we keep- it will blow you away--it is a wonderful life did not win an oscar--it is a classic they play every xmas...it is on page 2 of this thread - the list that is of the non winners throughout the years...........should put a tiny bit of hope inside...me i need a psychologist.  i am so sad.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #101 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:20 PM »
Don't you find it strange Clint Eastwood was not attending the ceremony yesterday?  Normally he should have been the one to present the Best Director Award.  He was not looking very happy at the Golden Globes when had to present his award to Ang.

There are some people in the film industry I would like to correspond with, just to know what they think of this situation...

I was wondering about that myself; he is working on a film though and may not have been able to get to L.A. for the Awards.

Clint Eastwood is the quintessential Amercian Cowboy...at least in the movies..he wouldn't come I bet to a Brokeback Mountain evening.  He is a big Paul Haggis man (Million Dollar Baby and an upcoming pic this summer with Paul)..if he thought Paul was going to win, he would have shown up...His movies that include gays are not great (Midnight in the Garden) and the treatment of gays in his Dirty Harry movies is despicable.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #102 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:25 PM »
don't forget ol' clint was an adulterer in bridges of madison county-so much for his family values f(&*ing hypocrites
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 08:27 PM by karind1 »

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #103 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:30 PM »
And the winner is . . . homophobia?

Hollywood is now buzzing with accusations that homophobia played a lead role in "Brokeback Mountain's" loss as best picture at the Oscars. Is it true?

Let's recall a report I made here recently about one voter barking: "Have you ever seen the audience at an official academy screening? There's no way that crowd's voting for 'Brokeback'!" What he meant was that they're mostly straight geezers who certainly can't be seduced by some too-pretty young gay cowboys.

One older academy member, an obviously disgusted Tony Curtis, told Fox News reporter Bill McCuddy that he had no intention of watching "Brokeback" and he knew lots of other academy members who felt the same way.

Looks like Curtis is still running away from what scared him in "Spartacus" when Crassus (Laurence Olivier) told his slave Antoninus (Curtis) with a sly smile that he likes both "snails and oysters." Antoninus, a somewhat effeminate poet, skeedattled out of there fast to sign up for Spartacus' manly rebel army.

Curtis' fury was the same thing I saw on lots of faces of academy voters when I asked them what film they chose for best pic. Most of the non-"Brokeback" respondees were obviously anti-"Brokeback" because, before they revealed that they opted for "Crash" or "Good Night, and Good Luck," they began their response huffily, saying, "Well, I'm not voting for 'Brokeback'!" No doubt some of them meant that they didn't feel the film was up to its hype, but it was obvious as heck that others had a problem with the whole gay thing.

Perhaps I've deluded myself so far thinking that those folks can't be homophobes. I just kept telling myself that they're probably thinking, "Oh, enough with all these gay persecution movies already!" But when you hear similar sentiment about a glut of Jewish persecution films, it doesn't seem to matter in the Oscar results. "Schindler's List," "Life is Beautiful" and "Chariots of Fire" still win. But, of course, many gay persecution films have claimed top Oscars too, like "Philadelphia" and "Boys Don't Cry," so maybe it's unfair to think the worst.

"Crash" is a worthy best pic champ, a truly great film that deserves the top Oscar and I'm happy it prevailed, as I always warned you it might. No doubt it has scads of passionate supporters within the academy who truly believe it was the best movie of 2005 and they were enthusiastically won over by the "Crash" cast, crew and studio execs who campaigned with more gusto than those shy cowboys.

But the "Brokeback" backlash, if real, is scary because it suggests something sinister going unsaid and, if it is true in liberal, normally gay-friendly Hollywood, then imagine what that implies about attitudes in less lavender-tolerant parts of America. If Paul Haggis had won best director for his best picture, this fear would be unfounded, but the illogical split vote must make us wonder.

Mar 6, 2006 2:41:17 PM

www.wordsofpeace.com

JerBear418720

« Reply #104 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:35 PM »
I heard that Crash was a misspelling - the REAL name of the movie was Cr*p!

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #105 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:37 PM »

CR*P 

Thanks JB!  ;D ;D ;D
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #106 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:39 PM »

but who the hell is gonna investigate them, they have their own rules which this time they truly have not abide by, GOD I wish there was a Lawyer that would Challenge the Academy, read the rules on their webbsite yesterday and truly they brokes all the regulations in the book.

This is the dirty little secret that the Academy DOES NOT want anyone to know - not everyone in the Academy voting see all the nominated movies.
They vote as the wind blows.

But, hey folks, we live in a country that allowed 9 aged people to elect our president.

I bet if they counted the "pregnant chads" BBM might have won.

I hoped that BBM acturally was named on that ballot in Jack NIcholson's hand he just decided to say "Crash"  afterall he was in "As Good AS It Gets" playing a rabid OCD homophob and looked too comfortable in the role for my taste.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

JerBear418720

« Reply #107 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:43 PM »

CR*P 

Thanks JB!  ;D ;D ;D

LOL@the emoticon!  Cham, u r too much, man!

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #108 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Gays take home the Oscars!!!
Boys Don't Cry---transgendered lead is brutally murdered
Philadelphia---aids victim dies with sweet music playing
Capote, Kiss of the SpiderWoman---gay men so effeminate as to not challenge the masculinity of those around them, both die sad, painful deaths eventually
Monster---lesbian serial killer

My all time favorite non-Oscar winner: The Bird Cage---let's laugh at the stereotypes for two hours! (Remember Robin Williams demonstrating dancing?)

No brainer:The Academy rejected  BBM because of the subject matter--I wonder if we will ever know how many of them did not even see the film!...if only Ennis or Jack had been a little more girly or perhaps wore pink hats, or laughed incessantly---They could have pulled it off, right?
Oscar does not mean that much to me anymore..maybe it never did...
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #109 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:47 PM »
if you guys haven't seen it check out the list of the non winning company we keep- it will blow you away--it is a wonderful life did not win an oscar--it is a classic they play every xmas...it is on page 2 of this thread - the list that is of the non winners throughout the years...........should put a tiny bit of hope inside...me i need a psychologist.  i am so sad.

Karinda, got a cat?  When I get blue I hug my cat, no matter what is going on in this world she is always there for me.  And in appreciation once in a whille she leaves me a little favor to remember her.  It's just a hairball.........but it is the thought that counts.........I think.

Offline omniverousdan

• Cassie
« Reply #110 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:02 PM »
C'était une soirée des Oscars vraiement ennuyante du début à la fin.
À partir du moment ou Jake Giillenhall a perdu son trophé, le ton de la
soirée était donné. Nous savions que la plupart des autres nominations
étaient foutues. Après avoir gagné tous les honneurs aux Golden Globe
et au BAFTA ainsi qu'au festival de Venise.
Ces messieurs de l'Académy Awards  se sont ridiculisés en nommant
le film CRASH, meilleur film de l'année. J'ai vu ce film et il est tout
à fait ordinaire, sans plus.
Je trouve dommage que le travail de toute l'équipe de BBM n'est pas été
récompensé comme il se devait.
SHAME ON YOU, MEMBERS OF THE ACADEMY
from Québec, Canada
the whole planet know your ignorance about movies

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #111 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I saw a tape of Curtis saying he won't see Brokeback. 
Yeah Hollywood is real progressive!
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #112 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Bitter Old Queen, yup that pretty much sums up Tony Curtis. And to top it off...HIS FREAKIN Daughter (the wonderful Jamie Lee Curits) is JAKE GYLLENHAAL's God Mother!
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #113 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:24 PM »
I watched the show last night sharing with all of you here. I saw what I expected to see, Heath, Jake and Michelle losing. When Crash won I was stunned but swallowed and thought well it's ok. It's Hollywood. I've spent the day reading posts here and going elsewhere to see what others are saying, just trying to be rational about the whole thing. Well, tonight I'm cooking supper and I just lost it. Sobbing, tears and snot all over my face. They still hate us. They still don't want to accept that we are real. THEY can accept us if we are a joke, the hairdresser, the interior decorator, the florist, the dancer. THEY can't accept that we are one with them, in every walk of life, on every economic level. WE are not freaks of nature. WE are a part of the whole human experience. I would not change who and what I am for anything. Live hasn't been easy for me but I wouldn't have lived it any other way.

Just ranting, excuse me.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #114 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Bitter Old Queen, yup that pretty much sums up Tony Curtis. And to top it off...HIS FREAKIN Daughter (the wonderful Jamie Lee Curits) is JAKE GYLLENHAAL's God Mother!

That's right, what a Bozo.  I mean he doesn't have to like it but keep your trap shut.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline dr bill

• BBM Forever
  • Jack
  • There ain't never enough time, never enough...
« Reply #115 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Given what has been said regarding the improper voting activities...it would mean that their vote is meaningless.  Therefore, BBM remains the winner!  (at least in my opinion). 

We humans have a tendency denying things when they do not fit into our world.  We can deny ourselves the chance for love by allowing the past to paralyze us.  Any healing that takes place starts somewhere.  I believe BBM was the focal point of healing for many of us.   Unfortunately there remains those whose healing process has been delayed by their fears (the members of the academy).  We can not be like those who fear our sexuality.  We must step above our anger and hurt feelings and embrace forgiveness.  Forgiveness does not imply acceptance or approval but it does release us from the past.  Without forgiveness we remain under the power of the person(s) or situation(s) we have found ourselves. 

Let us all lift our heads up proudly for who we are and show the world that we are united.  If we remain determined to feel angry and wronged, we can easily fit the definitions of those who fear us.  Love is here...in our hearts...let us continue to share what we have gained from BBM.  We stand together.

Billy the Kid

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #116 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:37 PM »

Aha! Finally vindication. When I lived in LA Tony Curtis had such a nasty rep. He is a bitter old queen. Thank you Cody.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #117 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:40 PM »

I agree with you it is despicable that they would not show Anni Proulx and tossed Ang Lee aside as fast as the windstorm on a lonely desert road. shame

I have a feeling that Annie Proulx wanted to maintain her privacy and didn't want any photos.  I was disappointed that they did not show her. 

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #118 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:47 PM »
I'm going to see it tonight, it's playing at the local second run place near my house and the were so certain it
would win the Oscar they fought to  have it show before the show.  So in support I am going to go see it again,
it's only 10 minutes away.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

JerBear418720

« Reply #119 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:50 PM »
I watched the show last night sharing with all of you here. I saw what I expected to see, Heath, Jake and Michelle losing. When Crash won I was stunned but swallowed and thought well it's ok. It's Hollywood. I've spent the day reading posts here and going elsewhere to see what others are saying, just trying to be rational about the whole thing. Well, tonight I'm cooking supper and I just lost it. Sobbing, tears and snot all over my face. They still hate us. They still don't want to accept that we are real. THEY can accept us if we are a joke, the hairdresser, the interior decorator, the florist, the dancer. THEY can't accept that we are one with them, in every walk of life, on every economic level. WE are not freaks of nature. WE are a part of the whole human experience. I would not change who and what I am for anything. Live hasn't been easy for me but I wouldn't have lived it any other way.

Just ranting, excuse me.

Rant away, BBBOY, we are here for you, man.