Author Topic: News Coverage: January 2007  (Read 10418 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
News Coverage: January 2007
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Post all January 2007 news articles here.  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: News Coverage: January 2007
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I find this hilarious...  BBM and Jake are complimented in a rather interesting way.  ;)

From: http://www.gay.com/news/roundups/package.html?sernum=2964&navpath=/channels/news/

---------------------------------------

Winners: Gay.com Gay Vote Best of 2006!

We asked -- and you told us!

Two weeks ago, Gay.com opened up its message boards and invited you to suggest what you thought were the hottest things in the categories of favorite film; most intriguing entertainment story; hottest single; male celeb you most wish was gay; hottest trend; most interesting gay quote; person you most wish would go away; favorite TV show and hottest male body.

We compiled your suggestions, opened up the polls for a week and now the results are in! Here's what you voted the best of 2006!

Person of the Year:
Stephen Colbert -- 32%
Second place: Angelina Jolie -- 27%
Last place: Mike Jones -- 7%

Male celeb you most wish was gay:
Jake Gyllenhaal -- 45%
Second place: Ryan Philippe -- 9%
Last place: Justin Timberlake -- 8%

Who do you most wish would go away:
George W. Bush -- 58%
Second place: Paris Hilton -- 18%
Last place: Lindsay Lohan -- 4%

Best song of the year:
"SexyBack," Justin Timberlake -- 41%
Second place: "Ain't Ready to Make Nice," Dixie Chicks -- 22%
Last place: "London Bridge," Fergie -- 7%

Favorite film:
"The Devil Wears Prada" -- 39%
Second place: "Another Gay Movie" -- 22%
Last place: "Borat" -- 9%

Hottest male body:
Daniel Craig -- 38%
Second place: Ryan Reynolds -- 30%
Last place: Justin Timberlake -- 8%

Favorite TV show:
"The Colbert Report" -- 35%
Second place: "Project Runway" -- 27%
Last place: "America's Next Top Model" -- 5%

Favorite quote:
Brad Pitt, "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able." -- 44%
Second place: Howard Stern, "I wish that they would take this movie ["Brokeback Mountain"] and force these assholes from the religious right [to watch] -- these perverts, these Taliban motherfuckers -- who want to sit there and tell gay people they can't get married ... It shows you how, when gays have to be closeted, they ruin the lives of women and families. Everyone goes through hell ... It is just outrageous. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, they were both terrific in it." -- 21%
Last place: Lily Tomlin, " ... Now that Star may be leaving, geez -- get me on the show and it will be "The Gay View." -- 10%

Hottest trend of 2006:
Flirting with gayness -- 35%
Second place: Democrats -- 34%
Last place: Eyebrow waxing -- 6%

Most intriguing gay entertainment story:
Doogie Howser is gay! -- 34%
Second place: Lance Bass comes out -- 28%
Last place: George Michael's media problems -- 5%

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing Thomas

Second place: Howard Stern, "I wish that they would take this movie ["Brokeback Mountain"] and force these assholes from the religious right [to watch] -- these perverts, these Taliban motherf***ers -- who want to sit there and tell gay people they can't get married ... It shows you how, when gays have to be closeted, they ruin the lives of women and families. Everyone goes through hell ... It is just outrageous. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, they were both terrific in it."

I always considered Howard Stern as a major pain in the butt, "but" he's ain't so bad sometime.

Two thumbs up Howard  O0 O0
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Yeah I'm not a huge HS fan- I think he's a pig but I gave him kudos for his comment.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Today one of our morning shows was recapping the year with an interview of Heath and Michelle, you can catch it here.
http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v.htm?f=39&g=33c76ef1-fdc1-49e8-b44e-04c32be86a6d&p=aunews_aunationalninenews&t=s29&mediaid=30089
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Thanks, Asali!  I can't access it from the office, but I'm sure I'll get to see it later.  :)

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:48 AM »
Not sure if the link still links directly to the interview, if not type Brokeback Mountain into the search.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Interesting views, especially when it pertains to the impact of BBM:

From: http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/UPDATE/701090334

---------------------------------

Films with gay themes among most popular at festival

Bruce Fessier
The Desert Sun
January 9, 2007

Gay films were among the most popular elements of the Palm Springs International Film Festival even before "Brokeback Mountain" became a mainstream success.
This year? Well, just don't expect to waltz into a gay film as the title sequence starts to roll.

The number of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender films in this year's festival has grown from 20 to 25 out of a total of 274 films in the festival.

By comparison, there are 10 Jewish-interest films, five "family-friendly" films and six films geared to seniors.

The Desert Sun asked Programming Director Carl Spence why the number of gay films continues to grow so rapidly.

Q: Are you trying to meet the demand of a growing audience for gay films, or are there just more gay films that demand to be seen?

A: We did not set a target for the number of gay and lesbian films to present in the festival, and many will appeal to audiences in general. In actuality, there were many more that we could have chosen.

The selection criteria is the same for all films regardless of content or appeal to a particular community. We are definitely conscious of the demand and are aware that the gay population are strong supporters of the film festival and the films that appeal to them typically sell out.

Are you re beginning to see the impact of "Brokeback Mountain" in new cinema yet?

I don't think we have seen it yet. "Brokeback" has proven that audiences will go to see a great film regardless of the subject matter. Films that are critical and box-office successes are hard to predict and happen when we least expect it. So whatever is branded as the next "Brokeback" may have unrealistic expectations to beat.

Q: What impact do you think "Brokeback Mountain" has had on gay films? Is there a real networked gay film industry now?

A: One of the biggest impacts of "Brokeback" is that two rising stars were able to accept challenging and controversial roles and their popularity in the mainstream has actually excelled.

Much has changed since the film "Making Love" seemed to stall the career of Harry Hamlin in 1982. Audience members are more comfortable talking about the subject of gay characters.

I talked to filmmakers last year who said the impact of "Brokeback Mountain" is that gay films will look more mainstream because they'll have more money to spend to polish them. Is that good or bad? Will a gay film section always have distinguishing elements besides gay sex?

"Brokeback Mountain" was based on a critically acclaimed and much-loved short story. I do think the success of this film will allow more great stories to be told by great directors and to be portrayed by the best actors that are available versus the past when only a handful of actors were willing to portray gay characters.

Gay and lesbian stories are much more than just being about sex. That was one of the great triumphs of "Brokeback." Audiences gravitated to it because it was a great love story.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2007, 03:05 PM »
Thanks tpe.

Gay and lesbian stories are much more than just being about sex. That was one of the great triumphs of "Brokeback." Audiences gravitated to it because it was a great love story.

Just had to repeat the last sentence.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:41 PM »
Thanks tpe.

Just had to repeat the last sentence.

So true, Asali.  So true.  :)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Great article. I loved the last line too.

So whatever is branded as the next "Brokeback" may have unrealistic expectations to beat. I'd have to agree.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:55 AM »
So whatever is branded as the next "Brokeback" may have unrealistic expectations to beat. I'd have to agree.  :)

It would be difficult, but possible.  They just need to be true to the spirit that BBM succeeded in embodying with such beauty and depth.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Apparently, the Larry H. Miller incident of last year is still very much an issue that pops up in articles of the Salt Lake Tribune.  These articles have prompted this poor soul to write this rather typical letter:

How far we've strayed
Public Forum Letter
Article Last Updated: 01/11/2007 07:55:30 PM MST

I was in Utah for two weeks recently. I read The Tribune daily and found most of the editorials informative and interesting. After having said this, the little articles that keep popping up about "Brokeback Mountain" being banned from Megaplex 17 theaters are getting old. It should have been banned from every theater in America.
    I am not a Mormon and don't know if Larry H. Miller is a Mormon or not. Do you have to be Mormon to know right from wrong? The Holy Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Homosexuality is a sin! I think it's a shame that the Catholics, Protestants and non-denominational Christians did not stand up and publicly protest "Brokeback Mountain" as well. Just goes to show you how far away from God's Holy Word Christians have strayed.
    God bless you, Larry H. Miller, for taking a stand.

Jonathan R. Knight
    Oxford, Ark.

"Do you have to be Mormon to know right from wrong?"

I would like to comment on Jonathan R. Knight's  letter by noting that it has a striking parallel with his argument and the argument used by the Inquisition in the 16th Century.  Let me paraphrase the inquisitorial argument for him as follows:

The Catholic Church should have burned every Protestant and heretic (like you, Mr. Knight!) -- else, consigned them to the flames of Hell.  Do you have to be a Catholic to know that the One True Church of more than a thousand years of Apostolic Succession -- founded on the blood of the Apostles and martyrs -- knows right from wrong?  Just goes to show you how far away from God's Holy Word Christians have strayed.

;)

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:38 PM »
This is an article in 1/8/07 New Yorker.  It's about digitalizing the movie experience, but talks about Brokeback Mountain (about middle of page 2).  The whole article is interesting anyway, about "platform" defining content and such -- the old movie theaters vs. the iPod.

kathy

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/articles/070108crat_atlarge?page=1
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I'm not as eloquent as you are Thomas.  :)

So Mr Miller and Mr Knight  ^^) ^*) ^^) ^*) ^^) ^*) ^^) ^*) ^^) ^*)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:17 AM »
From http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20070118/LATH08219012007-1.html

----------------------------------------

AFI Announces 10th Anniversary of AFI'S 100 Years...100 Movies and the Launch of Decade-to-Decade Program

CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, THE GODFATHER, TITANIC and LORD OF THE RINGS Among 400 Films to Vie for the Title of Greatest Movie of All Time

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- American Film Institute (AFI) today announced the 10th annual installment of its Emmy Award-winning AFI's 100 Years... series. AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies -- 10th Anniversary Edition will count down the 100 greatest movies of all time in a three-hour television event on CBS in June. The program will consider classic favorites and newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006. AFI will undertake this program every 10 years to mark changing cultural perspectives.

"AFI has created the most comprehensive and credible examination of excellence in American film with the AFI's 100 Years... series," said AFI President and CEO Jean Picker Firstenberg. "And, whether you agree with these lists or not, they have sparked a 10-year conversation on what makes a great movie and why. We are excited to ignite this conversation once again, this year and every 10 to come. Let the debate begin!"

Today's announcement also marks the beginning of a national "conversation" with the public, conducted on the institute's website, http://www.afi.com/. Movie fans who register online and download the official ballot of 400 films will be eligible to win a chance to attend the AFI Life Achievement Award tribute to Al Pacino, as well as posters and other AFI memorabilia.

Film enthusiasts will also be able to add their own voices to the online conversation by naming their favorite movie of all time, and sharing the reasons for their choices. A video gallery of stars' favorite movies, as well as other interactive features, will also be added during the coming months leading up to the June broadcast.

Since its inception, the AFI program has garnered considerable attention and included AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (1998), 100 Stars (1999), 100 Laughs (2000), 100 Thrills (2001), 100 Passions (2002), 100 Heroes & Villains (2003), 100 Songs (2004), 100 Movie Quotes (2005) and 100 Cheers (2006).

For the 10th consecutive year, the primetime special will be executive produced and directed by Gary Smith; executive produced for AFI by former AFI Board Chair Emeritus Frederick S. Pierce; and produced by Dann Netter and Bob Gazzale. SFM Entertainment LLC is the distributor of the program. Past sponsors of the series have included AT&T, General Motors, Pepsi, Johnson & Johnson, Best Buy, Anheuser-Busch, Colgate-Palmolive, Sony and all major motion picture companies.

About the Jury Process

Today, AFI distributed a ballot with 400 nominated movies to a jury of over 1,500 leaders from the creative community, including film artists (directors, screenwriters, actors, editors, cinematographers), critics and historians.

AFI asks jurors to consider the following criteria in their selection process:

FEATURE-LENGTH FICTION FILM
  Narrative format, typically over 60 minutes in length.

AMERICAN FILM
  Motion picture with significant creative and/or production elements from
  the United States.

CRITICAL RECOGNITION
  Formal commendation in print, television and digital media.

MAJOR AWARD WINNER
  Recognition from competitive events including awards from peer groups,
  critics, guilds and major film festivals.

POPULARITY OVER TIME
  Including success at the box office, television and cable airings, and
  DVD/VHS sales and rentals.

HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
  A film's mark on the history of the moving image through visionary
  narrative devices, technical innovation or other groundbreaking
  achievements.

CULTURAL IMPACT
  A film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance.

AFI allows five write-in votes per ballot.

Interesting Facts About the Ballot

*  All of the 100 honored films from the original AFI's 100 Years...100
     Movies list appear on the ballot.

*  Henry Fonda is the most represented male actor with 10 films.  James
     Stewart and Cary Grant each have nine, while Robert De Niro and Jack
     Nicholson have eight.

*  Katharine Hepburn is the most represented female actor with seven
     films.  Lillian Gish and Bette Davis each have five.

*  1939 and 1942 are the most represented years with 11 films each.

*  Alfred Hitchcock and William Wyler are the most represented directors
     with 10 films each.  Steven Spielberg and Howard Hawks are represented
     with eight films each, and Billy Wilder and George Stevens have seven.

*  Ernst Lehman is the most represented screenwriter with six films.

*  The ballot includes entries that span from Cecil B De Mille's THE CHEAT
     from 1915, to CRASH, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK and
     HOTEL RWANDA, all from 2005.

*  About 11 percent of the ballot (44 films) comes from the last 10 years,
     newly eligible since the original AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies.  These
     films include, in chronological order: LA CONFIDENTIAL, GOOD WILL
     HUNTING, TITANIC, AS GOOD AS IT GETS, AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN
     OF MYSTERY, BOOGIE NIGHTS, SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN,
     RUSHMORE, THE MATRIX, FIGHT CLUB, THREE KINGS, THE SIXTH SENSE, THE
     INSIDER, THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, AMERICAN BEAUTY, BEING JOHN
     MALKOVICH, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, GLADIATOR, TRAFFIC, ERIN BROCKOVICH,
     SHREK, MOULIN ROUGE!, MEMENTO, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF
     THE RING, A BEAUTIFUL MIND, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS,
     CHICAGO, THE HOURS, FINDING NEMO, MYSTIC RIVER, PIRATES OF THE
     CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE
     RETURN OF THE KING, LOST IN TRANSLATION, SIDEWAYS, HARRY POTTER AND THE
     PRISONER OF AZKABAN, MILLION DOLLAR BABY, THE AVIATOR, ETERNAL SUNSHINE
     OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, SPIDER-MAN 2, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, GOOD NIGHT, AND
     GOOD LUCK, CRASH and HOTEL RWANDA.

About the American Film Institute
  AFI celebrates its 40th Anniversary in 2007.

AFI is a national institute providing leadership in screen education and the recognition and celebration of excellence in the art of film, television and digital media. AFI trains the next generation of filmmakers at its world-renowned Conservatory, maintains America's film heritage through the AFI Catalog of Feature Films and explores new digital technologies in entertainment and education through the AFI Digital Content Lab and K-12 Screen Education Center. As the largest nonprofit exhibitor in the US, AFI ON SCREEN encompasses the annual AFI FEST presented by Audi: AFI Los Angeles International Film Festival -- as well as year-round programming at ArcLight Hollywood and the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center in Silver Spring, Maryland, including SILVERDOCS: AFI/Discovery Channel Documentary Festival. AFI AWARDS, the annual almanac for the 21st century, honors the most outstanding motion pictures and television programs of the year, while AFI's 100 Years . . . series has ignited extraordinary public interest in classic American movies. And, during the past 34 years, AFI's Life Achievement Award has become the highest honor for a career in film. Additional information about AFI is available at AFI.com.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Time for revenge for Brokeback Mountain over Crash maybe?  We should all order ballots. #)

Thanks Tpe, it's very interesting. :)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Thanks, Pierre.  I will not have it: that BBM should be voted in TOGETHER with that piece of crap.

Offline Mars

• Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:58 PM »
I had the same news, hope we'll get it.

'Brokeback Mountain' In Consideration For AFI Reprised Top 100 Films List

by The Associated Press

(Los Angeles, California)  The 100 best movies of all time aren't what they were 10 years ago.

So says the American Film Institute, which first compiled its "100 Years ... 100 Movies" list in 1998. That's why they are doing it again — and plan to repeat the process each decade, AFI president and chief executive Jean Picker Firstenberg said Thursday.

"So much has changed in our country," she said. "Let's just hope there's not another 9/11, but clearly that shifted everything in our lives and shifted everything for anyone who chronicles the human condition."

The decade-by-decade ranking allows filmmakers and fans to examine the changes in what American movies say about life and culture, Firstenberg said.

"Will war films have a different prominence 10 years later," she wonders. "Will new voices be more dominant than we might have thought? Will films that were lower on the list rise higher?"

A jury of 1,500 directors, producers, actors, critics and scholars will select the greatest movies of all time from a ballot of 400 nominated films. They are asked to consider each film's critical recognition, historical significance, cultural impact and popularity over time.

"Citizen Kane" topped the first "100 Years ... 100 Movies" list, followed by "Casablanca," "The Godfather," "Gone With the Wind" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

"100 Years ... 100 Movies — 10th Anniversary Edition" will be unveiled in June with a three-hour TV special on CBS.

Forty-four films from the past 10 years are now eligible for consideration, including "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery," "Brokeback Mountain," "Moulin Rouge," "Fight Club" and "Crash."

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:45 PM »
It's interesting that a year later, Brokeback Mountain is on today's MSN "hot topics."  It's just a link to watching the trailer, etc., and so enjoyable this morning, looking at the trailer (there are a few, are there not?) and clips as if new.

kathy

http://find.msn.com/search.aspx?q=Brokeback+Mountain+movie&c=0126+Brokeback+Mountain&form=MSNH1
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Thanks kathy!  That's a good sign.  :)

Offline Del_Marvelous

• Alma Jr.
  • It's because of you, Jack, that I'm like this!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Apparently, the Larry H. Miller incident of last year is still very much an issue that pops up in articles of the Salt Lake Tribune.  These articles have prompted this poor soul to write this rather typical letter:

How far we've strayed
Public Forum Letter
Article Last Updated: 01/11/2007 07:55:30 PM MST

I was in Utah for two weeks recently. I read The Tribune daily and found most of the editorials informative and interesting. After having said this, the little articles that keep popping up about "Brokeback Mountain" being banned from Megaplex 17 theaters are getting old. It should have been banned from every theater in America.
    I am not a Mormon and don't know if Larry H. Miller is a Mormon or not. Do you have to be Mormon to know right from wrong? The Holy Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Homosexuality is a sin! I think it's a shame that the Catholics, Protestants and non-denominational Christians did not stand up and publicly protest "Brokeback Mountain" as well. Just goes to show you how far away from God's Holy Word Christians have strayed.
    God bless you, Larry H. Miller, for taking a stand.

Jonathan R. Knight
    Oxford, Ark.

Ugh, people like this make me sick -- hiding behind the old Bible argument and condemning others about whom they know nothing. I'm tired of these so-called Christians judging everyone else. I don't want them speaking for me.  ^*)

Del_Marvelous
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 10:10 AM by tpe »
"When love comes so strong there is no right or wrong. Your love is your life."

From West Side Story

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:11 AM »
What is one to make of this?

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid41457.asp

----------------------------------

01/27/07-01/29/07
Author files $250 million suit against makers of Brokeback Mountain

Janice Scott-Blanton, the author of My Husband Is on the Down Low and I Know About It, filed a $250 million lawsuit claiming copyright infringement against Universal and the studios that financed and distributed Brokeback Mountain, reports BlackNews.com.

Scott-Blanton claims there are over 50 substantial similarities between her novel and the Academy Award-winning film. An early bar scene in the movie reminded Scott-Blanton of a scene from her novel, but she chalked it up to coincidence until further scenes, including the first sexual encounter between Jack and Ennis, reminded her of her novel.   

In Brokeback Mountain Alma confronts her husband Ennis about his homosexual activity during Thanksgiving dinner and tells him she purposely wrote a note and put it on his fishing line for him but he never found it. According to Scott-Blanton, this scene is strikingly similar to a scene in her novel wherein her character Annette confronts her husband James about his homosexuality on their ninth anniversary. James tells her he wrote a confession in his journal purposely, knowing she was secretly reading it. Both scenes are set in a kitchen.

Scott-Blanton will argue in court that the film is strikingly similar to her novel in terms of characters, plot, themes, and sequence of events. (The Advocate)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Um when did her novel come out?  ::) Because we know AP's story was out in 1997. I don't have the time to check the dates right now.

Offline boo_boo

• Jack + Ennis
  • Never enough lip & tongue, never enough.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:43 PM »

01/27/07-01/29/07

Janice Scott-Blanton, the author of My Husband Is on the Down Low and I Know About It, filed a $250 million lawsuit claiming copyright infringement against Universal and the studios that financed and distributed Brokeback Mountain, reports BlackNews.com.

Scott-Blanton claims there are over 50 substantial similarities between her novel and the Academy Award-winning film. An early bar scene in the movie reminded Scott-Blanton of a scene from her novel, but she chalked it up to coincidence until further scenes, including the first sexual encounter between Jack and Ennis, reminded her of her novel.   

In Brokeback Mountain Alma confronts her husband Ennis about his homosexual activity during Thanksgiving dinner and tells him she purposely wrote a note and put it on his fishing line for him but he never found it. According to Scott-Blanton, this scene is strikingly similar to a scene in her novel wherein her character Annette confronts her husband James about his homosexuality on their ninth anniversary. James tells her he wrote a confession in his journal purposely, knowing she was secretly reading it. Both scenes are set in a kitchen.

Scott-Blanton will argue in court that the film is strikingly similar to her novel in terms of characters, plot, themes, and sequence of events. (The Advocate)

Without knowing which story came first it's hard to even comment.  I do want to say that a note on a fishing line discussed during Thanksgiving & a confession in journal discussed on an anniversary don't sound very similar to me at all.  But I forgot, they both take place in a kitchen. ;D  If the rest of her similarities are like this the case will probably be thrown out.
“Ennis, on a good day it’s hard to understand ya…but when you’re talkin into my ass…I really got no idea what the f*ck you’re saying.” - Missing Motel Moments by haunted_by_bbm

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I googled her and: In March 2005, Janice Scott-Blanton released her debut novel with a celebration at the Zanzibar on the Waterfront in Washington, DC. Scott-Blanton has written a true to life novel as told to her by her main character Annette Hawkins (alias).
I agree Boo_boo about the confrontations- how is that "strikingly" similar? Ennis and alma were divorced not having an anniversary. Two men going to a bar together? Is that a new concept? Their first time together was similar? The husband was off herding sheep? Unless I'm mistaken BBM was published in 1997 in the New Yorker, Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry wrote the script shortly thereafter and it sat around for years and BBM was filmed in 2004. This aggravates me  :X I wonder what the other similarities are- they had children? They drove a truck? They smoked? They wore jeans?

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:31 PM »
She needs to drop the suit quickly. She could easily find herself being sued for the same offense.
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:31 PM »

01/27/07-01/29/07

Everyone has to try to make a little money. >:(  Was her husband a cowboy who herded sheep?  Huh? ???   ;D

I hope they don't pay her $$ just to shut her up. 

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:39 PM »
She needs to drop the suit quickly. She could easily find herself being sued for the same offense.

Yup  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I think it's all a publicity stunt for her book.  I won't buy it.