Author Topic: A year later...academy awards  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
A year later...academy awards
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:02 PM »
It's weird to remember all the academy buzz and all a year ago (and this year I could care less)
You know in hind site the "loss" truly means nothing.  I mean if you see "For your Consideration" the
Christopher Guest comedy about oscar buzz it will make it seem even less important.  It really makes
a mockery of it.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: A year later...academy awards
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:20 PM »
A year later....did someone mention academy award?

I just happened to read Entertainment Weekly today and there was some coverage of predictions. Man..they all look foreign to me. Since BBM, I have not gone to movie theater.

We have moved on but the academy will have to deal with what happened last year forever.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Yeah I think the results last year truly exposed the core of the problem down there, it's sort of this self imploding culture.  I think they thought by embracing Crash they were showing how enlightened they were.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 04:54 PM »
This happened a few months back at work

We were talking about Desperate Housewives and one of the guys said the way the episode was set up reminded him of a movie. "What's the name of that movie that was out last year? Damn what the hell was the name?" Woman in our group "Oh I know what you mean but I can't remember. Hey so and so what was the name of the movie he's talking about?" So and so "Oh um um um wait... oh yeah crash".  This from the the three people that sang it's praises as one of the best and most meaningful films they've ever seen     - ::) how quickly we forget the name of something so "great"   :8 I was standing there with my smug mm hmm smile on my face- they forgot the name of the movie they all own and tried to tell me to watch but they all know BBM.  O0

I don't care about the Academy Awards-never really did but they pissed off a LOT of people last year and hopefully they will feel it in the ratings.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

aimi15

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:43 PM »
It's hard to believe it's almost a year.

Heartening to realise the impact BBM has had on modern culture. Everyone recognises the film, even if they haven't seen it they have an inkling of what it is about - it might just be that 'gay cowboy movie' to a lot of people, but it goes to show how it has infiltrated public thinking.

Crash - not a bad film, but not groundbreaking.

References to BBM pop up everywhere - one of our UK soaps referenced it only the other week - and that is a year on from it being released.

Amazing really. Our little film won out in the end. :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:45 AM »
I will not watch it, even if Jake or Heath presents.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I was never a fan before; after last year I said I'd never watch it again, though that's less a sacrifice than a gesture - pity there's no way of reminding the Academy again that some people don't forget.

In the end prizes are prizes and art is art. The latter doesn't always or even often win the former, but it survives, while the prize-winners are quickly forgotten.

And a movie with something to say has an effect, where something cobbled together and hyped up because t's PC doesn't.

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Since BBM's ridiculous loss last year as BP-I have avoided any and all award shows and will especially do the same for the Oscars-Even any mention of them this year makes me squirm-I certainly hope the ratings are abysmal this year- I am sure Heath and Jake will be in attendance but how can they feel comfortable around the same Academy members who unjustly and connivingly denied their film the BP Oscar ? Oh well .maybe they can "accidentally" spill a drink or two on *RASH cheerleader Oprah  at least !!!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Please also note that BBM most likely lost last year on account of the votes cast by many of Jake's and Heath's peers.  I urge you to ignore the SAG awards completely.

The Oscar nominations are to be announced this morning.  I don't particularly care about this, even though I am sympathetic to some of the likely nominees.

I intend to hit them in the area that hurts the most: I don't intend to see any of the nominated movies that I have not already watched -- that is, if I didn't watch a movie beforehand out of personal interest, then an Oscar nomination will NOT make a difference. 

Certainly, I will not be watching it even if I get a personal letter from Heath or Jake asking me to do so...

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 08:46 AM by tpe »

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:20 AM »

Certainly, I will not be watching it even if I get a personal letter from Heath or Jake asking me to do so...

Are you sure? What if Jake will ask you nicely?  ;)
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Are you sure? What if Jake will ask you nicely?  ;)

Oh Carmilla, you make this so hard for me!  ;)

Seriously, I would write him back telling him why I am adamant.  I think he will understand.

If he or Heath is up for an award, then I would definitely reconsider. 

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:57 AM »
Usually the winning Director presents the award to the successor, but I doubt Ang will be there.  He wasn't present at the Golden Globes.  I really hope he refuses to present.

I will boycott the Oscars.

His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline boo_boo

• Jack + Ennis
  • Never enough lip & tongue, never enough.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:23 AM »
I'm not watching.  I could care less about any of the movies nominated this year.  How many of the nominated movies have touched people the way BBM did & still does?  NONE!

I will record the red carpet stuff just to see if Jake or Heath are there.  That's it.
“Ennis, on a good day it’s hard to understand ya…but when you’re talkin into my ass…I really got no idea what the f*ck you’re saying.” - Missing Motel Moments by haunted_by_bbm