Author Topic: Best Actor for Both Heath and Jake?  (Read 5726 times)

JerBear418720

Best Actor for Both Heath and Jake?
« on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:01 PM »
I've read a number of comments from forum members that wonder why Jake's performance is considered supporting and not co-lead.  I don't of any objective criteria, but I DO know that the nomination of 2 actors/actresses from the same film for the same award is usually a recipe for disaster.  I looked at a site that shows Oscar winners going back to the time of the dinosaurs, and I found these examples:

In 1950, both Bette Davis and Anne Baxter were nominated for Best Actress for All About Eve - neither won.

For the SAME FILM, Celeste Holm (who, incidentally, is still alive!) and Thelma Ritter were nominated for Best Supporting Actress - neither won

In 1953, Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster were nominated for Best Actor for From Here To Eternity - AGAIN, neither won!

In 1954, Rod Steiger, Karl Malden and Lee J. Cobb were ALL 3 nominated for Best Supporting Actor for On The Waterfront - AND NONE OF THEM WON!

In 1961, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott were both nominated for The Hustler - NEITHER WON!

Hmmm...I am seeing a pattern!  The point is, awards-wise, Jake is better of being categorized in the supporting role.  Besides, who would want to pit our boys against one another - unless it was for another ruff-and-tumble love scene!   ;D

Comments?

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Best Actor for Both Heath and Jake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Hello JerBear, thanks for digging the Oscar history and offering your insight. I want them both to win - it won't be the case if they are both nominated for best actor and it is unlikely that both get nominated and both win in the same category. I can settle Jake for best supporting actor since Heath is the one appearing throughout the movie. I can't think of any other Oscar example than the ones you have mentioned.

The most recent from Golden Globe is the four desperate housewives all got nominated in the same category and none of them won. A huge setback or what.

If Heath and Jack both win, their Oscar statuettes can make a pair of deuce so none of them will be lonely.  ;D
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:34 PM »
The most recent from Golden Globe is the four desperate housewives all got nominated in the same category and none of them won. A huge setback or what.

If Heath and Jack both win, their Oscar statuettes can make a pair of deuce so none of them will be lonely.  ;D

Thankx JerBear for the great info...Like Ethan says DH did not do great at the GG..but wouldn't the Oscar statuettes look good in Heath and Jake's little Fishin' cabin? ;D
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Thankx JerBear for the great info...Like Ethan says DH did not do great at the GG..but wouldn't the Oscar statuettes look good in Heath and Jake's little Fishin' cabin? ;D

forgot to add the one from Michelle for threesome.  ;D
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Naughty Ethan...though I don't think she'll get on with "Jake Nasty"!!!

But of course I want her to win too!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Naughty Ethan...though I don't think she'll get on with "Jake Nasty"!!!

But of course I want her to win too!

sorry. Let's get back on the topic. I was really upset to learn that Golden Globe would not consider Jake for Supproting Actor so he didn't attend GG. Something just came to my mind -

We often see movies nominated for Oscar with both Best Actor and Best Actress in Leading Role not competing among themselves. But for BBM or maybe other future gay-themed movie, either two main characters have to be in the same category and compete or one needs to sacrifice for a supporting role.

JerBear418720

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2006, 06:46 PM »
OMG, Ethan, ur right!  Usually in love stories, the awards can be for both actors - non-competing - cuz of the gender separation in categories!

Maybe we need new categories for gay-themed movies, but that takes us into the bedroom, and I won't go there with this crowd.

BTW, once in academy history, 2 women won for Best Actress in the same year - 1968 - Kate Hepburn for Lion in Winter and Barbra Striesand for Funny Girl.  But, of course, they were not in the same film, and there were no pup tents - lol.

Frog, I think we need to take Oscars BBM wins and put them into the BBM Museum to be built in Signal. WY - we'll have to build the town, too.  I'm envisioning a theme park.....

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Frog, I think we need to take Oscars BBM wins and put them into the BBM Museum to be built in Signal. WY - we'll have to build the town, too.  I'm envisioning a theme park.....

hahahaha!

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2006, 06:53 PM »
My dream?

Heath and Jack fall in love in real live and they realize the Ennis-Jack love we saw in the film...

baci
coaguaro

..of course I'm joking
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Ethan's point is a great one, it has to be taken into consideration.

Both Jake and Heath are important to the story, but in the short story, it is Ennis' life that is narrated, therefore he will be seen as the main character...best actor...all other male participants will be supporting ones!

Shame!

Offline brokeback fan

• Cassie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Absolutely-both actors should win an Oscar.  Good point that someone brought up that usually in a love story, the 2 'leads' could win because of the gender differences of different catagories. I see no reason why Jake shouldn't be considered a lead as well.  I thought his performance was awsome.  After I saw the movie, I kept thinking about Jack/Jake, and how compelling his performance was in the film. 

Perhaps a new category for film awards should be considered so 2 men or even 2 woman could win best actor roles.  Maybe, just maybe, this movie could change something in the the film award industry?

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2006, 08:01 PM »
As fan's for both boys we should be happy they are putting them in different catagory's, now both can be nominated.I do think the story is more in Ennis's life so it makes sense to me he is the lead.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:29 PM »
I actually don't think it will change the film industry. Quoting what Ennis said "Tell you what..ain't gonna be that way. If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it."

Even trickier..if you have an actor portraying a female character or vice versa, should it be Best Actor or Best Actress?

Each one of you deserves an Oscar for *portraying* PBS to its fullest and bringing it to life.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Even trickier..if you have an actor portraying a female character or vice versa, should it be Best Actor or Best Actress?

Like Felicity Hufmann?

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:38 PM »

Like Felicity Hufmann?

(OT) Felicity Huffman seems to be a clear cut because eventually the character becomes a woman. Suppose the movie is about a story of transexual. Then what happens?

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:43 PM »
(OT) Felicity Huffman seems to be a clear cut because eventually the character becomes a woman. Suppose the movie is about a story of transexual. Then what happens?

Wow , it does open a new window in award qualification...great stuff...what am I doing on the net at 3:43 talking about this is another question!