Author Topic: Why No SAG Awards for BBM?  (Read 28021 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Why No SAG Awards for BBM?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:58 PM »
And guess what we are still here talking about Brokeback Mountain and I am going to see it again (I hope) tomorrow after the Oscar nominations.

This would indeed be very apt, and quite a nice gesture.  I should probabaly do the same.

I shall make this promise NOW: from today thru next Monday, I promise to see BBM FOR AS MANY NOMINATIONS THAT IT LOST IN THE SAG AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear.... ;)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Tee hee, we dont' like PSH now.  It's so funny...  it's like in the movie, I dont like
Randall, I mean he hits on our boy -

<OT> I saw a few seconds of clip for PSH during the best actor prsentation, gotta tell you - didn't do anything for me.

But OMG - the clips for Jake and Michelle....the highlights of their characters. These are what one would call best supporting.

<now back to the topic>

My partner works in the industry dealing with a lot of SAG people auditioning for jobs. He said the results are not surprising.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Tee hee, we dont' like PSH now.  It's so funny...  it's like in the movie, I dont like
Randall, I mean he hits on our boy -

<OT> I saw a few seconds of clip for PSH during the best actor prsentation, gotta tell you - didn't do anything for me.

But OMG - the clips for Jake and Michelle....the highlights of their characters. These are what one would call best supporting.

<now back to the topic>

My partner works in the industry dealing with a lot of SAG people auditioning for jobs. He said the results are not surprising.

Interesting...yeah it doesn't surprise me either.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:01 PM »
This would indeed be very apt, and quite a nice gesture.  I should probabaly do the same.

I shall make this promise NOW: from today thru next Monday, I promise to see BBM FOR AS MANY NOMINATIONS THAT IT LOST IN THE SAG AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear.... ;)

I like that, tpe. I will join you so that is 4 more for me.  :) I wish it were more (no..just kidding). I will do whatever to support BBM.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I liked "Sideways" and Paul Giamatti was great in it but the only thing I got out of that movie was a great line whenever I go into "Spirtis of _____" package store and snarl "I'm not drinking MERLOT!"  Then got snubbed by the clerk because they don't keep reds in the cooler.  (who know you don't chlll reds?) And room temperature?  Nothing I drink ever stays in the bottle/glass long enough to reach room teperature

ps: Is the glass half full or half empty?  If is water it is half full, if it is Budweiser it is half empty.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Hi everyone, I don't know what SAG awards are, but from what you're all saying, I have an awful feeling that oscars are not going to happen. If that happens though, it won't change anything about what BBM has meant to all of us and to the people who'll be watching it for the next one thousand years  ;D  Stephan

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:24 PM »
SAG - Screen Actors Guild.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Hi everyone, I don't know what SAG awards are, but from what you're all saying, I have an awful feeling that oscars are not going to happen. If that happens though, it won't change anything about what BBM has meant to all of us and to the people who'll be watching it for the next one thousand years  ;D  Stephan

Hello stephan.

Brokeback Mountain is still widely considered to be the frontrunner for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars.  The SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards have really no direct influence, although from this and the Golden Globes, it seems that Ledger, Gyllenhaal, Williams, and Hathaway would fight a very tough battle to win any awards for themselves.  I am sure that Ledger, Gyllenhaal, and Williams will be nominated for the Oscars (my heart goes out to Hathaway!) -- but it will be rough sailing winning in their respective categories. 

If BBM is probably going to win Best Picture, you may ask why are things seeminly bad.  From my perspective, I do wish some award recognition would be given to ANY ONE of the magnificent young actors on BBM.  As I said before, thay all deserve the very best.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:29 PM »
I'm so mad at the SAG at the moment..poor Jake and poor Michelle, they sooooo deserved it (Heath is not in my good books at mo..I don't like tea)!!

But hey tomorrow is oscar nomination day..i cant wait!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:31 PM »
(Heath is not in my good books at mo..I don't like tea)!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:34 PM »
I'm so mad at the SAG at the moment..poor Jake and poor Michelle, they sooooo deserved it (Heath is not in my good books at mo..I don't like tea)!!

What?  tea?  am I missing something?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:36 PM »

What?  tea?  am I missing something?

As was said in the other thread: half a teapot!!!!

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Ohhh, it's so funny, we are mad at him like he is our little brother or something!
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:41 PM »
I'm going to do some google searching to see if there is any buzz about it. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I didn't find much buzz about Heath, I did find this in a report about the poorly written script for SAG:

"Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal got chuckles throughout their serious description of the plot of "Brokeback Mountain."
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline Tim

• Cassie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Is there  a video link  to  the  SAGs anywhere on the  net with a  clip of  jake  and heath? Does  anyone  have it  on here?

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:56 PM »
http://www.oscarwatch.com/Awards/nomchart06.html

Oscarwatch has an excellent chart to track this award season. Feel free to draw your own prediction for the Oscar.

I still think Heath, Jake and Michelle will get nominated for the Oscar and face a tough battle. Maybe so far the chart is not in their favor. Nothing is certain until the red envelop is open on March 5.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Is there  a video link  to  the  SAGs anywhere on the  net with a  clip of  jake  and heath? Does  anyone  have it  on here?

Here is the post to the link (thanks again to froggy)

http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=979.msg9566#msg9566

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Hey I have a new one!

"Best Half Drunk Performance by an Actor at an Awards Show"

Heath hands down!
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Hey I have a new one!
"Best Half Drunk Performance by an Actor at an Awards Show"
Heath hands down!

Like it. Isn't in my good books either, but after I've gone to sleep and dreamed a bit I might change my mind !

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Maybe he lost a bet.

I remember once....well......it was in the Navy....."Crossing Over"......(cross dressing).....over the equator......1972......been trying to get ALL prints of me in a blue silk shift, sequined bolero top, beehve bouffaint wig, stiletto heels....I could not believe that in the middle of the Pacific Ocean all these items were scrounged up for me to win a beauty contest as "Princess of the Sea"  I have not been the same since.......neither I believe have several of my shipmates

Offline streetskater

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Ha! It was hard to tell just what Heath was up to with that nelly gesture. There does seem to be something a little tongue in cheek with that pose though--so nicely captured here by TPE.  He and Jake sure stumbled through the Telepromters. I actually got a kick out of them.
I had no idea, till I watched Heath doing interviews, that he was such a shy and introverted man.

I'd guess that if Gyllenhaal & Heath had a real-world sexual encounter--Jake would TOP him in NY minute--and it would be Heath saying, "Call Me....?!

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:34 PM »

You know Paul Giamotti didn't get an Oscar nomination for Sideways so consider it Karma,
he really should have.

Very true and GGA, SAG and Oscars do these "pay backs" for performances in previous years. 

"Sideways" was one film that the Globes and SAG loved but it left me cold.

Quite a few films were not recognized as masterpieces until years after their release - "It's a Wonderful Life" was one of them. 
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006, 10:46 PM by hidesert »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:05 AM »

You know Paul Giamotti didn't get an Oscar nomination for Sideways so consider it Karma,
he really should have.

Very true and GGA, SAG and Oscars do these "pay backs" for performances in previous years. 

"Sideways" was one film that the Globes and SAG loved but it left me cold.

Quite a few films were not recognized as masterpieces until years after their release - "It's a Wonderful Life" was one of them. 

I think everyone in SAG knows that BBM is a masterpiece.  It's just that many of them find it convenient to ignore it.  ;)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:54 PM »
I think everyone in SAG knows that BBM is a masterpiece.  It's just that many of them find it convenient to ignore it.  ;)

Or maybe they all thought "oh well all the other SAG members are going to vote for BBM, so I'll vote for someone else"...and in the end BBM lost!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline backtobrokeback

• Alma
  • Jack, I swear... --
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:04 PM »
I'm not at all surprised that BBM got nothing at the SAG awards.  Why?

1) Williams and Gyllenhaal are blazing new stars, but they're new.  Great work got them noms, but their competition (esp. in the actress part) was formidable.  They're both overcoming being 'child stars' in less-prestigious roles (Proof wasn't even noticed, sadly).

2) Ledger (I'd bet money) was a close second to PSH, not a far behind second place.  Still, PSH has a larger body of critically acclaimed work to draw on for prestige and 'deserves it'.  Sadly, awards are given for those reasons, not sheer acting ability alone, not based on objective criteria, or even on work within one year, or one film.  Ledger may still be doing penance for "A Knight's Tale". ;-)  Ledger deserves the Best Actor Oscar; PSH (and JPh) did imitations, evocations, much like Jamie Foxx in "Ray".  Exceptional and gifted acting, yes, but still more homage and stunt than building an original character. 

3) Ensemble Cast could not have gone to BBM; in fact, I wanted Crash to win.  Crash is a stunning film, and it is an ensemble piece; it's an actor's movie, and as such, was a lock for this type of award.  BBM had a *great* cast, but it was not an ensemble piece.  It was Ennis and Jack's movie, with ancillary (if wonderful) characters appearing occasionally.  This should not keep it from winning best picture.

Still, I'm predicting 4 Oscars (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, and if the academy has a brain, Cinematography or Score, maybe both).  An award for Ledger would be icing on the cake, but it's unlikely, and frankly, I'd rather see this film get Best Picture.
People will go see it for that, not for 'Best Actor'.

-backtobrokeback
He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands. Make the pledge! Go Back to Brokeback whenever, however you can. Join the BTB Project.